Is this a Scottish Fold?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
At the rescue I where volunteer, there is a new cat with unusual ears.  We are wondering if she could be a Scottish Fold.  Her ears have a fold in them, but they don't look quite right to us.  But we don't know.  Here are her pictures.  Her name is "Sweetie."  And she is a sweetie.

Scottish Folds are usually thicker cats and their ears are closer to their head, though I doubt she is purebred.  Anyone with knowledge of Scottish Folds have an opinion on this cat?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its apparently no typical scottish fold.  It could be an outcross with an odd breed - as they must be outcrossed to get healthy kittens.    Some byb-breeder perhaps tried to get more scottish folds, not knowing much about what co-parent he should pick.      

So there is really nothing such a purebred s.f, because they cant be purebred, they must be outcrossed the whole time. but knowleable breeders picks reasonable co-parents.  Scottish straight and british shorthair are the two most common.

I dont know how common this mutation is.  Not common that I know, but I mean, how exceedingly rare, this I dont know.

So, you do have a fold, but not scottish.   :)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat like this at our animal adoption center as well. She has some kind of cat version of cauliflower ear which made it so her ears became permanently like this. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Cauliflower ear - that is a good description, NewYork1303!  It made me wonder if something had happened to her!

Good information, StefanZ!  I looked at some pictures of Scottish Folds online and they do not look like this cat.  Wikipedia said that all Scottish Folds share ancestry with one cat named Suzie.  Inbreeding must be a problem and I can see why they have to outcross!   After I posted this I got an email saying that the person who turned Sweetie over to us said she was a purebred Scottish triple fold.  Smh!

They are looking for a foster for this cat.  I am very tempted, but it may be best if I bring home a load of kittens instead.  We are overrun with them and they are spending entirely too much time in cages.  But it's hard to pass on Sweetie!