Is This A Regular Visitor?

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three cats were hanging out on the sunporch when I spied a little gray stranger cross the street and purposefully head straight for my front door, then around the side of the sunporch to where the bushes provide cover. It caught sight of me and we looked at each other for a moment, then I averted my eyes because I didn't want to appear threatening. When I looked back, it was still frozen in place staring at me. I said hi to it and looked away again, and when I looked back it was gone.

I've seen a couple of strays in the neighborhood, but I didn't recognize this cat. The other cats look well-fed and this one was on the scrawny side. I'm wondering if this is a feral that's been hanging around my house, possibly because it likes my cats? It doesn't seem like anyone's taking care of it and I don't think I can ignore a starving cat. Should I put out food and water for it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If you do, be prepared for other animals to help themselves as well, or maybe you can figure out a schedule with and for this kitty as another member is doing with theirs.

Do you have any TNR people in your area who might be able to help with trapping and a spay/neuter?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s so sweet of you to care about this kitty. If you’re prepared to follow a TNR program as mentioned I would start feeding him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...unless you can see a tipped ear?
In case you aren't familiar, depending
on if this is a stray that was a pet at one time, it might be spayed or neutered but the ear wouldn't have been tipped for a pet cat. With a feral, a tipped ear is an indication that the cat has been spayed ot neutered.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just remember the phrase, if you feed, they breed. So if you are going to feed the cat then please be prepared to spay/neuter. Along with feeding and spaying/neutering stray/feral cats comes also providing shelter especially if you are located somewhere where there are cold winters.

It is so nice of you to want to reach out and help this kitty, just please be prepared first!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone, for the kind and informative replies :-) I hadn't thought of the long-term consequences of caring for a feral, so your replies were a good wake-up call. I was able to get in touch with a friend who has trapped a few ferals and transitioned them to indoor/outdoor cats. She said the local TNR group will loan a trap if one's available, but that's it. You have to trap the cat yourself, arrange and pay for spay/neuter surgery and everything else. I had no idea it was such a commitment! She's giving me a trap to use, though I'm really nervous about doing this myself. My mother, who has all the cat lady connections in this area, knows of a low-cost bimonthly spay/neuter clinic. I guess I'll have to aim for a clinic date.

I have no idea if the ear is tipped. I'm going to see if I can get some pictures while the cat is eating. My neighbor keeps his boat parked in my carport, and today when he took it out I noticed a fresh little pile of viscera and tufts of fur. I think the cat may be living beneath the shed in the backyard and hanging out near the adjacent carport. I placed some food and a water bowl a little ways beneath the boat and was planning to pick up the food just after sunset, so as not to attract other animals, when a big gust of wind came along and scattered the food beneath the boat :-\ It looks like I'm going to have to get a bowl designed for outdoor use. If anyone knows of an ant-proof one, let me know. My backyard is basically one giant anthill.

I think I know where I can get a shelter for winter, but, fortunately, that won't be an issue for a while.

Thanks again for giving me plenty to think about. I'm sure I'll have more questions before long.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful news!! You are on the right track. Here is something that might work for the ants The Antser Ant-Proof Barrier Also an article to read How To Keep Ants Out Of Cat Food

Try to feed at the same time each day so the cat gets used to the feeding schedule. It will make trapping easier. You are so right to pick up the food at sunset. Otherwise you will lots of unwanted critters.

Keep us posted here. We are here to help!

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!! You are on the right track. Here is something that might work for the ants The Antser Ant-Proof Barrier Also an article to read How To Keep Ants Out Of Cat Food
Awesome! I'll check that out right away.

Try to feed at the same time each day so the cat gets used to the feeding schedule. It will make trapping easier. You are so right to pick up the food at sunset. Otherwise you will lots of unwanted critters.

Should I aim for one feeding per day? I was going to leave dry food out during the day and pick it up just before dark. Is this not a good idea?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're fantastic, and you'll be fine--if necessary Kentucky fried chicken has been known to bring about good results with getting a kitty into a trap :thumbsup:

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're fantastic, and you'll be fine--if necessary Kentucky fried chicken has been known to bring about good results with getting a kitty into a trap :thumbsup:
I would knowingly enter a trap for KFC, so I can empathize with the kitties ;-) I'll definitely work that into my TNR plan.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! I'll check that out right away.

Should I aim for one feeding per day? I was going to leave dry food out during the day and pick it up just before dark. Is this not a good idea?
Leaving dry food out during the day is usually ok. If possible feed some wet food at a set time. Just be sure he is eating it right away or it will spoil. Also if you leave the dry food out all day, be sure you know who is eating it.

I used to leave dry food out for my 3 all day and pick up at night before the critters all arrived. Yet they knew that wet food was served 2x a day. They got used to the schedule and were always there waiting for me.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QUOTE="walli, post: 4924849, member: 117155"]Were here for you all along the way, so keep posting, no matter how small the detail![/QUOTE]

Thanks :-) I'll try not to be *too* needy. There are no guarantees when the TNR plan goes into action, however.

Leaving dry food out during the day is usually ok. If possible feed some wet food at a set time. Just be sure he is eating it right away or it will spoil. Also if you leave the dry food out all day, be sure you know who is eating it.

I used to leave dry food out for my 3 all day and pick up at night before the critters all arrived. Yet they knew that wet food was served 2x a day. They got used to the schedule and were always there waiting for me.
Some kitty, or kitties, has been hoovering up the dry food and I've added wet to the regimen today. I'm getting a trail camera to help fine-tune the routine- I'm all in now! I also want to make sure I'm not accidentally feeding a neighbor's cat. They're very healthy looking and don't need my assistance, though I'm sure they would try to offer a persuasive argument in their favor if given the opportunity.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food was left untouched today :-\ My mornings are chaotic, so I've been putting food out at 12 pm and picking it up at 8:40 pm. I hope this is a large enough window for a feral cat. I'm guessing they would prefer food early in the am, but it simply isn't doable. Now I'm worried that the cat was just passing through and all the effort and planning is leading nowhere.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was going to recommend the Antser. I have them and they really work. Thank you for looking out for this little one.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he coming for dinner?
The first day when I put out food and the wind scattered it beneath the boat, it was eaten overnight. The next day I put out food a little after 12 pm and it was eaten before 2 pm. I put out extra food and it went untouched (I picked it up at 8:40 pm). Yesterday I put out food at 12 pm and it went untouched all day. So far no food has been eaten today.

Not sure what to think right now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first day when I put out food and the wind scattered it beneath the boat, it was eaten overnight. The next day I put out food a little after 12 pm and it was eaten before 2 pm. I put out extra food and it went untouched (I picked it up at 8:40 pm). Yesterday I put out food at 12 pm and it went untouched all day. So far no food has been eaten today.

Not sure what to think right now.
it's entirely possible that this cat is being fed somewhere else. I'd ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone knows who is caring for him/her.