Is this a ragdoll or am I being scammed

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Came across two separate people breeding what they claim are TICA registered Ragdolls ( the second says pet quality but that they come from champion lines)

this was the kitty I was most interested in, but given the cost - and the fact that all of my previous kitties have been found or shelter cats, I’m hesitant

the mink is the paper, adult bicolour is the mama, and wee baby is the one I’m interested in.

legit?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is just 1 pic. But if they ARE in the Tica registry, papers and pedigree certificates are there, it should be OK...

Pet quality may differ. For example, cats produced from an overused champion stud, a "matador-breeding" become virtually worthless as breeding stock... You cant sell them full price as breeding cats, because there are lotsa of genetical copies around... So no serious breeder will touch them.
But they are of course fully sellable as companion cats, labelled pet quality... And sometimes even, as Show cats. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is just 1 pic. But if they ARE in the Tica registry, papers and pedigree certificates are there, it should be OK...

Pet quality may differ. For example, cats produced from an overused champion stud, a "matador-breeding" become virtually worthless as breeding stock... You cant sell them full price as breeding cats, because there are lotsa of genetical copies around... So no serious breeder will touch them.
But they are of course fully sellable as companion cats, labelled pet quality... And sometimes even, as Show cats. :)
thanks for the reply - I was sent a photo of the parents as well, plus another of the kitty. Does it still seem legit?

(mink is the male, adult bicolour is the mama)

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither adult cat looks like a ragdoll to me. Wrong color (father). Mother, father and kitten have wrong body shape, wrong hair length. I am not an expert in identifying breeds. The kitten is already loosing it's longer fluffy coat. It is a very pretty cat and you will have to decide if it's worth the cost.

I think ragdolls and Maine Coons are frequently miss represented.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither adult cat looks like a ragdoll to me. Wrong color (father). Mother, father and kitten have wrong body shape, wrong hair length. I am not an expert in identifying breeds. The kitten is already loosing it's longer fluffy coat. It is a very pretty cat and you will have to decide if it's worth the cost.

I think ragdolls and Maine Coons are frequently miss represented.
thanks - probably going to bow out as it’s not worth the cost to pay that much for a random cat.

Another question- the second person I was talking to advertised these kittens as ragdolls - does that seem plausible (mom and dad are the larger cats. Papa is the blue bicolour, mama is the smaller adult cat

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks - probably going to bow out as it’s not worth the cost to pay that much for a random cat.

Another question- the second person I was talking to advertised these kittens as ragdolls - does that seem plausible (mom and dad are the larger cats. Papa is the blue bicolour, mama is the smaller adult cat
If you want to send the names of the 2 breeders to me in a PM go ahead and do so.
I've become rather expert in figuring out if a breeder is legit or not more so for Maine Coons since I have one, but the scams are similar across the board. I'll try and do some research for you.

Both groups look like Ragdolls to my eyes. I'm not an expert on the breed, however. It's more a matter if the breeder is ethical or not.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, re the 1; I dont know nothing if mink coloring is allowed for ragdolls... Mink coloring means in practice, they have one copy of the burmese point gene. The other gene in that pair is the usual siamese point gene. My guess its frown upon, but I really dont know.
Which means, the kitten have a 50% chance to inherit this... You will notice if the kitten seems to darken up early, already still being a kitten. (having 1 copy of siamese point gene from momma, and 1 copy of burmese point gene from daddy).

Momma looks nice. Im no ragdoll expert, but momma looks nice, and I believe she may be a decent ragdoll

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats in the pink tub look to my untrained, unprofessional eye to be much more likely to be ragdolls or to have ragdoll traits.
But please don't take my opinion as accurate. I only offer it as I have seen many posts on the internet as "ragdolls" or "Maine coons", which are obviously long haired domestic cats.