Is this a normal cough? Asthma or something dangerous?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hima drank water this morning, ate some wet food, started her yard duty “just looking at the grass”. She started to cough like this, came inside and it’s been going on and off for over half an hour now. I sent the video to her vet, no response yet. Does this look like maybe some grass stuck in her throat? Asthma or something else?

Weird cough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two hours later this is still going on.

Vet responded and said it could be a hairball and asked me to watch for now. She didn’t see it as emergency.

When we were talking on the phone Hima actually ate her dry food. She walks around normally, jumps... I doubled the dose of her hairball paste just in case but in the +3 years I have known her she coughed similar to this only once before today and that was right after she drank water which appeared to godown the wrong pipe or something, and it lasted only 5-10 minutes. This is going on for 2 hours and counting 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it still going on? How is Hima doing now? She appears to be licking her lips afterward, and as you know a lot of times that relates to nausea or perhaps even some 'stuff' coming up in her throat/mouth from her stomach. It might even be possible that some of whatever might have come up in her throat did manage to go down her windpipe. To be honest anything remotely like that when it has happened to me I have had a odd, annoying feeling in my throat for hours afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it still going on? How is Hima doing now? She appears to be licking her lips afterward, and as you know a lot of times that relates to nausea or perhaps even some 'stuff' coming up in her throat/mouth from her stomach. It might even be possible that some of whatever might have come up in her throat did manage to go down her windpipe. To be honest anything remotely like that when it has happened to me I have had a odd, annoying feeling in my throat for hours afterward.
Thank you for always helping, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 💜 Yes it’s still going on but not as severe. She ate both her dry and wet foods fine and her breathing does not get worse when she jumps. Maybe it makes nausea/hairball less likely? She avoids cleaning herself though (I helped her there) and she drank water one more time than usual. I think you are on the right path with this is somehow about her throat.

I am just as “what’s going on?” as she is in this picture (cat tax :-)

Attachments