Is this a normal activity level?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat is one lazy chonk. Most of the time. On average we typically have two play sessions a day. Both of them ranging anywhere from 15-45 minutes each. Sometimes less and sometimes more depending on what’s going on and if I’m home. His biggest burst of energy is in the mornings when I wake up and we play before I go to work. Other than that, he sleeps in his favorite spots and just kind of... chills. Is this a normal amount of activity for a cat his age? He’s still young so I feel like he should probably be more active. He used to play haaaard when he was younger and now not so much.

I don’t know if I provide enough stimulation for him throughout the day... although he has two cat trees, many scratchers, toys, paper, and an open window so he can bird watch. Do you guys think all of this is enough for him to be content?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gut instinct is to have the vet check him, explain his lack of activity.

My hyper terror calmed down & I figured he was finally calming down with old age. He had severe asthma!

On the other hand Cami is part ragdoll and she looks like she ate some sedatives 24/7! Sure she plays every once in awhile but other than that & staring at birds she just loafs around (& rolls off the edges of things! 🤣) She does go outside every day to hide and watch birds.Her brothers keep her more active then she may like.

If he is clear health wise get him a kitten buddy, a catio if you can & hang some bird feeders in his line of site from a window/catio. You can let him watch the birds through a screen & ideally a cat bed/tree near next to the bird watching window.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Echoing getting a vet check up just in case, but my boy is also another low energy kitty. I adopted him around 9 month old, and I can count his intense play sessions in one hand (and he's been with me for 10 years). Sometimes he has crazed zoomies or get into swatting around a mouse for a minute or 2, but the typical popular toys such as feather on a stick, string toy, laser pointer, rolling balls on a track etc. Do nothing for him.

However, even at almost 11 years old, I finally learned about feline nutrition and switched him over to much better food with low card high protein, and he's started to get more energy! He still sleeps like a cat but I notice he's a lot more alert and curious, probably without all that garbage filler carb slowing him down. He's even interested in watching out the window more as well as cat TV, while before he would just sleep and sleep and sleep....

Also I think I finally found the jackpot toy for him, a japanese cat toy mimicking dragonflies. Something about the clear holographic fluttering wings really get him going! He's so obsessed he played for more than 30 mins a day since we got it which is insane for him, as it's hard to even get him interested in a feather string toy for more than 2 mins. So it could also be your kitty is just waiting for some kind of jackpot toy! In case you're interested this is the one I got:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DIE62W/?tag=thecatsite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At two years of age, he is finally reaching full maturity...and that is probably, probably, going to be the explanation. However, I'd have him checked, just to make certain there is nothing else going on.

Babypinkweeb Babypinkweeb I am SO ordering that toy for my lazy gal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gut instinct is to have the vet check him, explain his lack of activity.

My hyper terror calmed down & I figured he was finally calming down with old age. He had severe asthma!

On the other hand Cami is part ragdoll and she looks like she ate some sedatives 24/7! Sure she plays every once in awhile but other than that & staring at birds she just loafs around (& rolls off the edges of things! 🤣) She does go outside every day to hide and watch birds.Her brothers keep her more active then she may like.

If he is clear health wise get him a kitten buddy, a catio if you can & hang some bird feeders in his line of site from a window/catio. You can let him watch the birds through a screen & ideally a cat bed/tree near next to the bird watching window.
I am in a third floor condo and can’t get a catio but he spends a lot of time by the open screened window on his cat tree. He loooves bird watching.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echoing getting a vet check up just in case, but my boy is also another low energy kitty. I adopted him around 9 month old, and I can count his intense play sessions in one hand (and he's been with me for 10 years). Sometimes he has crazed zoomies or get into swatting around a mouse for a minute or 2, but the typical popular toys such as feather on a stick, string toy, laser pointer, rolling balls on a track etc. Do nothing for him.

However, even at almost 11 years old, I finally learned about feline nutrition and switched him over to much better food with low card high protein, and he's started to get more energy! He still sleeps like a cat but I notice he's a lot more alert and curious, probably without all that garbage filler carb slowing him down. He's even interested in watching out the window more as well as cat TV, while before he would just sleep and sleep and sleep....

Also I think I finally found the jackpot toy for him, a japanese cat toy mimicking dragonflies. Something about the clear holographic fluttering wings really get him going! He's so obsessed he played for more than 30 mins a day since we got it which is insane for him, as it's hard to even get him interested in a feather string toy for more than 2 mins. So it could also be your kitty is just waiting for some kind of jackpot toy! In case you're interested this is the one I got:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DIE62W/?tag=thecatsite
He has had a vet check up recently and he was in perfect health. There’s nothing wrong with him health wise. He eats and drinks and poops/pees just fine he just isn’t super super playful anymore. Not like when he was a kitten. He still plays daily. Just not for as long or as hard as he did when he was a bit younger. He’s got soooo much stuff to keep him occupied at home I just worry he’s bored. Maybe it is the food tho. I feed him blue wilderness. Any suggestions for food?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go back to getting him a playmate if you can. I’m glad he is healthy!

Has for dry food even “high” protien only gets you about 40-44% protien. So wet food is better ...... unless you have a super finicky picky eater that will only eat things with tuna in it like my little twerp! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Then you might have to resort to 1/2 dry & 1/2 wet.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has had a vet check up recently and he was in perfect health. There’s nothing wrong with him health wise. He eats and drinks and poops/pees just fine he just isn’t super super playful anymore. Not like when he was a kitten. He still plays daily. Just not for as long or as hard as he did when he was a bit younger. He’s got soooo much stuff to keep him occupied at home I just worry he’s bored. Maybe it is the food tho. I feed him blue wilderness. Any suggestions for food?
I've never had an energetic kitten so I can't say much in terms of growing up and calming down, but just in my experience with my cat who was always pretty low energy, swapping his food has shown lots of change in a month. Although it might just be because his previous food is just THAT garbage 😢

I used to feed him Royal Canin hairball control dry food as it was recommended to me, but after learning about ingredients and nutrition I realize I've been feeding him really low quality stuff for 10 years. I see mentions of "even cheaper wet food is better than the best dry" echo on this site often. Currently he is eating a rotation of Pure Vita turkey/Rawz pate mixed with Dr. Elsey chicken kibble (which I believe is the best dry food). I started this swap around late February and recently started noticing his fur becoming crazy soft and more energy. He's not energetic and active like a kitten but he seems more alert and affectionate. This plus finding his jackpot toy has shown more playfulness than I've seen in his entire life.

It's definitely possible your cat has just calmed and settled and no matter the food or toy he will just be chill from now on. Take it with a grain of salt as I am a sample size of 1 cat!

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To me that sounds like a normal activity level for an adult cat. My two year old boy has about the same activity level. Once they get past their kitten stages (which often last until two years), they usually calm down a lot and prefer sleeping/lazing around much of the time. If he seems content with the amount of play he gets, I think you're fine.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To me that sounds like a normal activity level for an adult cat. My two year old boy has about the same activity level. Once they get past their kitten stages (which often last until two years), they usually calm down a lot and prefer sleeping/lazing around much of the time. If he seems content with the amount of play he gets, I think you're fine.
I think he’s content. I mean he doesn’t vocalize and he doesn’t get into things/act out. So if that’s not happening I assume all is well?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is eating well, drinking normally, using his box, doesn't act out, and doesn't cry out when you touch/lift him, he is almost certainly just "all growed up and haired over," and leaving his kitten ways behind.