Is this a Main Coon kitten or mix?

flattesterik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking to buy this lovely kitten, we adore the colours of her. She's advertised as a pure MC but we have serious doubts about the mother being a MC. Is it possible to tell if she is or is not?

We came across this thread Black smoke female ? Maine coon? Or just long hair ? and we find the mama having a lot of similarity.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Without being able to see lineage documents, there isn't a way to know. Would it concern you, other than the possibility of being overcharged if there are no papers to confirm, if the kitten isn't?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The father looks like a Maine Coon. I don’t see any Maine Coon features in the mother, not even a pet quality. She looks like a Domestic Shorhair, no specific breed. In addition to having the wrong length hair, the shape of her ears and muzzle are completely different than the Maine Coon breed standard.

The kitten is seriously cute. However, I would definitely think twice—or three times— about paying the price for a purebred Maine Coon.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking to buy this lovely kitten, we adore the colours of her. She's advertised as a pure MC but we have serious doubts about the mother being a MC. Is it possible to tell if she is or is not?

We came across this thread Black smoke female ? Maine coon? Or just long hair ? and we find the mama having a lot of similarity.
The father looks like a Maine coon to me, the mother does not. The mother looks like a domestic medium hair tortoiseshell. The kitten is beautiful and looks like he’s picked up Maine coon attributes from his father. I would go for it, he is such a cutie😻

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

flattesterik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thans for the replies all. Yes, the kitten is really lovely, it's a girl, and we saw that she has the looks of her father.

It is a matter of trust in the first place, and we feel we are not being informed correctly about her. Especially with the reactions here about the mother. We still want to have her of course!
Thans again, I will post some follow up pictures of her if we can agree.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The mother doesn't look like a MC at all so if they are advertising them as purebred I'd run far far away, what else are they lying about and clearly a byb in that case so supporting them is no different than paying a puppy mill. You should be able to see pedigree papers on the parents and research the breeder, are they in good standing with the registry, are their cats health tested, etc.