Is this a good plan to get a free cat?

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I got two topics of discussion and one flows out of another... so please bare with me... this is not a TL; DR kind of discussion, I don't think any of my threads so far really been a TL; DR type of a topic.

Is it considered acceptable to find a stray and claim it as long as you take it to the Vet and do what is necessary for the cat to be in good shape?

What happens if I go to the OSPCA or an equivalent Humane Society like organization to make sure the cat gets what it needs... will they claim it their own cause now they're paying for it, let alone better equipped to care for it?

I guess I am trying to find my newly purchased kitten (10 days old). I am still waiting for it to get to 12-14 weeks prior to picking it up other than vet care until I rehome it. I want to get another one for free to balance out how the one I got cost me a bit more than it should have and see if there's like a cheap way to make sure it is okay without harming the cat...

Pretty much I am asking if there is a "Catt Welfare" program for people who make a good income but live in a very EXPENSIVE city and have to pay ridiculous real estate related fees...lol.

Not only am I trying to make sure my kitten will have a life-partner, I am trying to save one from the streets hoping it will also bond me with insanely knowing that I saved its life (theoretically it can work right?)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now another question... HYPOTHETICALLY and that is only cause this topic came up while chatting with my friends... If you decide it is not working out after several weeks or months and say you want to rehome the second cat... Is it ethical? Is it cruel?

You will make sure it will go to a good home and you still saved it and let it develop to 6-12 months old and made sure it got all the care it needed to have a great life but you are getting rid of it after it may have gotten used to a certain lifestyle with you and the kitten friend and now that he may have even bonded with you, it is being given to someone else.

I don't know what you might say if I did not put it in those words (which make it look cruel) but I wanted to make sure I am not asking it in a biased manner only pointing out the good points. Let alone it might have not even bonded and could be a complete d*ck to you and/or your original kitten and you need to find it another home. for any reason... would it be okay in your eyes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are probably laws in your area about what to do if you find a stray. So you'd have to report the cat as found and wait a certain amount of time before it legally belonged to you. The shelter might have to take it for the stray hold time, but they usually let you decide whether to take it back or not. But yes, as a general rule, finding a homeless cat is a fine way to get a kitty.

Of course there's no such thing as a free cat, because you still have to get all their vet work done, and a stray may need more cleanup work than a housecat, but of course not having to pay a purchase price is a plus :D.

I'm not sure what low-cost vet services are available in your area, but if you contact the local shelter they should be able to tell you what they have. In general, if you take a cat for low-cost vet care they don't claim the cat; that only happens if you surrender the cat to them, or if they think the cat is being abused or criminally neglected.

As for re-homing, it should be avoided if at all possible, but if it truly wasn't working out at your house, as long as you take care to find a decent home that's more compatible for the cat, it's not wrong.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there farms in your area? If so, they usually have plenty of kittens, and a lot of them are friendly. Join the local Facebook pet pages and keep an eye on the kitten ads (usually April-June is peak kitten season). Also look for notices pinned up on public bulletin boards, like at the grocery store, laundromat, post office, etc.

Oh, and call the vets in the area. They usually can hook you up with kittens needing homes.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be possible to act as a foster home. That gives you a chance to find out if there is a bond with the kitty. So, contact the shelters near you and just ask what the rules are with strays. Can you foster it? Or, you should be able to check local ordinances for strays in your area online. That said, rehoming is tough for a kitty. You must prepare the kitty very well! It is traumatic. They must be very comfortable and social. As a rescuer, I would never let a kitty go that was NOT going to a place that would work for them. Multiple homes or shelters can do serious damage to their sense of trust and security. Also, is there a stray you have spotted? If so, please do whatever you can to help that kitty. Laws vary from country to country. Let me see if someone else can tell you more but the OSPCA does have a website. Maybe you can text or email with questions. I’ll forward your thread to a couple of others here.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not wrong to get a free cat as long as both cat's are treated equally. Given a fair shot you may find the cat you've paid for may be the one that does not fit. Would you rehome free cat because you didn't pay or would you try to get reimbursement by selling on your other cat. There's a lot to think of like W Willowy has said there's no such thing as a free cat. I didn't pay for my kitten got him from a neighbour, but I have spent as much as the cost of buying a pedigree cat even using low cost vet clinics. It's something that you need to think of taking in strays. A lot have problems that need sorting to get a healthy cat. Whatever you decide I guess I'm just pointing out commitment would have to be given to both cat's. Hopefully it will work out kitten's normally get along.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just try to have them be both very young kittens, then they will get along almost from the start. Cats that start out acting like they hate each other (which happens almost ALL the time with older cats) learn to accept each other and form a bond but it takes a lot of separation and step by step instructions to get them finally like each other. I guess what I am trying to say is don't be surprised if they hiss, swat and growl at each other for a while, that is all perfectly normal. Adult cats have a kind of genetic programming to avoid hurting young kittens, so though they act very annoyed, they almost always accept them sooner or later. ALL cats from different litters should be separated and introduced carefully and with supervision at first so no injuries occur. Keeping them both side by side in wire cages for a few days would allow them to get used to the scent and sight of each other.
If you find that after trying to get them used to each other for a few months it is just NOT working out, by all means, find a new home. It will be traumatic for the cat but mainly not as traumatic as being in a tense, horrible household that is not working out. after MANY years of introducing and raising cats, out of many, I have had to rehome just one cat for just not accepting the others, and I tried hard for almost a year. Cats desperately want consistency and affection in their lives and really try their best to achieve it. If you have problems with either cat please come here and I'm sure you will find hundreds of combined years of experience. You are not alone ever. you earn a cat's love, it is not freely lavished on you like with dogs. Cats are very careful who they give their hearts to, and once they do it is one of life's greatest gifts!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I can speak a bit more on the SPCA topics. I've been a volunteer at our local SPCA for over 10 years. Most shelters don't have the capacity to treat pets like a normal vet's office. We run on donations, and those donations go to the animals that are currently in the shelters care.
So, IF you found a cat and brought it to the shelter, claiming it as a stray or not, the first thing any reputable shelter will do is look for a microchip. If one is found, the owner will be contacted. If no chip is found, you have the option of surrendering it to the shelter (where it would then be under the care of the shelter, thus receiving all medical/nutritional/emotional care that the shelter offers), or taking the cat back home with you (where you would be responsible for any care from that point on).
Part of what we also ask when a potential adopter comes in, is "can you afford all of the costs associated with an animal adoption?" If you are concerned about how much the first kitten had cost you, or how much services cost for properly caring for an animal, then a second pet is not the right decision.
As for the "low-cost" vet services, those are really meant for people who were able to afford proper care of their pet, but fell on hard times for one reason or another. I will politely ask that you don't use those services just to save money. Sometimes those low cost services operate on limited funds/time, and it should really be used for their intended purposes.
As for rehoming an animal (no matter the reason), unless it's to someone you know VERY well and it's someone who has the capacity to properly care for that pet, I would always recommend surrendering to a no-kill animal shelter. There's most likely a small fee involved in surrendering (I think ours is $20 to help cover the medical check-up for every incoming animal we receive and any vaccinations that we end up giving), but at least they will be in a place that is guaranteed to give them food, water, medical care, love and attention. Plus, shelters do everything they can to make sure they get animals into loving homes.
My final advice, focus on 1 kitten. It sounds like you don't have the finances to properly care for more than one right now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that other than vet expenses, two cats are about as cheap to raise as one. I bring all my cats in at once to the vet (at one time it was 4) and they charge me for one office charge. that helps a lot. also, check around for cheaper vets too, I changed 3 or 4 times because I didn't like how they treated cats, or they charged so much and found the PERFECT caring vet. He has not charged me for euthanizing horribly injured strays, he goes above and beyond treating my cats and has cried with me when my own die. I couldn't ask for more. In return, I have left neutering/spaying funds with him to use when I find a stray a home that has not been neutered, I call him with the name of the adopter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since another thread I started received a poor response from someone on here, let me make it abundantly clear. When someone says HYPOTHETICALLY.... That is exactly what it means. I just wanted to know what people might say. Not be judged.

I love this community and I appreciate you all and let's move on. I am going to leave a more proper reply later but just leaving this here so you don't think I ignored it or anything like that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please know that SOME members on here are of very strong opinions. I have clashed with many of them to the point where I just threw up my hands and vowed to never come here again. I advise you not to go on the IMO forum, in my opinion, they can get awfully nasty, but it can be rewarding too, so ?, I enjoy a good debate but I guess I don't play well with others. Then I thought, I must have just as strong opinions in that I think I am always right. I have learned to not let them get under my skin and concentrate on the people I DO enjoy and the new ones that truly need help. EVERYONE needs comfort on Crossing the Bridge, that is where I focus my time now, life is too short to be mad all the time. I first came here when I needed comfort for the grief that was so deep it about broke me. I received a few responses and was grateful for that and what they taught me. I vowed to comfort anyone who came on here because I knew what it meant. Just to have that grief validated meant so much. I actually felt bad for the ones who received so few responses, there are so many members, and we are all joined together by our deep love for cats. I found I received comfort from giving my own. Most want to avoid that forum because "it hurts too much". Do they remember what it felt like? to take time out to just drop a line of empathy could help so much......That you would take time out of your busy schedule, and all the wonderful cats you take care of makes you a valuable member of this site, I for one appreciate you and listen to your valuable advice. I have taken care of cats and other animals for over 60 years now, and am still learning. I have made horrible decisions but have suffered the consequences too, but I have also saved many little lives and gave what love and compassion I could to the cats that need it the most, the 'throwaways' that seem to never end.....

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please know that SOME members on here are of very strong opinions. I have clashed with many of them to the point where I just threw up my hands and vowed to never come here again. I advise you not to go on the IMO forum, in my opinion, they can get awfully nasty, but it can be rewarding too, so ?, I enjoy a good debate but I guess I don't play well with others. Then I thought, I must have just as strong opinions in that I think I am always right. I have learned to not let them get under my skin and concentrate on the people I DO enjoy and the new ones that truly need help. EVERYONE needs comfort on Crossing the Bridge, that is where I focus my time now, life is too short to be mad all the time. I first came here when I needed comfort for the grief that was so deep it about broke me. I received a few responses and was grateful for that and what they taught me. I vowed to comfort anyone who came on here because I knew what it meant. Just to have that grief validated meant so much. I actually felt bad for the ones who received so few responses, there are so many members, and we are all joined together by our deep love for cats. I found I received comfort from giving my own. Most want to avoid that forum because "it hurts too much". Do they remember what it felt like? to take time out to just drop a line of empathy could help so much......That you would take time out of your busy schedule, and all the wonderful cats you take care of makes you a valuable member of this site, I for one appreciate you and listen to your valuable advice. I have taken care of cats and other animals for over 60 years now, and am still learning. I have made horrible decisions but have suffered the consequences too, but I have also saved many little lives and gave what love and compassion I could to the cats that need it the most, the 'throwaways' that seem to never end.....
I remember when Muffy passed away I st

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please know that SOME members on here are of very strong opinions. I have clashed with many of them to the point where I just threw up my hands and vowed to never come here again. I advise you not to go on the IMO forum, in my opinion, they can get awfully nasty, but it can be rewarding too, so ?, I enjoy a good debate but I guess I don't play well with others. Then I thought, I must have just as strong opinions in that I think I am always right. I have learned to not let them get under my skin and concentrate on the people I DO enjoy and the new ones that truly need help. EVERYONE needs comfort on Crossing the Bridge, that is where I focus my timeow, life is too short to be mad all the time. I first came here when I needed comfort for the grief that was so deep it about broke me. I received a few responses and was grateful for that and what they taught me. I vowed to comfort anyone who came on here because I knew what it meant. Just to have that grief validated meant so much. I actually felt bad for the ones who received so few responses, there are so many members, and we are all joined together by our deep love for cats. I found I received comfort from giving my own. Most want to avoid that forum because "it hurts too much". Do they remember what it felt like? to take time out to just drop a line of empathy could help so much......That you would take time out of your busy schedule, and all the wonderful cats you take care of makes you a valuable member of this site, I for one appreciate you and listen to your valuable advice. I have taken care of cats and other animals for over 60 years now, and am still learning. I have made horrible decisions but have suffered the consequences too, but I have also saved many little lives and gave what love and compassion I could to the cats that need it the most, the 'throwaways' that seem to never end.....
i
I remember when Muffy passed away I posted it in the Crossing the Bridge forum and got very few responses. I was hurt and was going to leave the Cat Site because I thought no one cared. Muffy was the last of my 8 cats and I was not going to get any more cats because of my health. Then you posted a very kind post and I will never forget how thoughtfull you were. I am one of those posters that does not go to the Bridge forum because "it hurts so much". I always felt guilty about it but I am not good at espressing my feelings.

I am also one of the nasty ones that posts in the IMO. I've tried to tone it down for fear of getting locked out. I used to post in the Comuserve Forums and those people were so hatefull to each other. I thought all forums were like that.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never posted in the Crossing The Bridge thread about my two previous 16 year old cats because honestly, I wasn't really a cat person so I wasn't bonded to them much other than basic care and love. Now... when Boone and/or Gracie passes, I will be a wreck. :lol2:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as you get older and closer to your own end, it hits much closer to your heart. I will be here for you when the inevitable happens, God willing!

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are probably laws in your area about what to do if you find a stray. So you'd have to report the cat as found and wait a certain amount of time before it legally belonged to you. The shelter might have to take it for the stray hold time, but they usually let you decide whether to take it back or not. But yes, as a general rule, finding a homeless cat is a fine way to get a kitty.

Of course there's no such thing as a free cat, because you still have to get all their vet work done, and a stray may need more cleanup work than a housecat, but of course not having to pay a purchase price is a plus :D.

I'm not sure what low-cost vet services are available in your area, but if you contact the local shelter they should be able to tell you what they have. In general, if you take a cat for low-cost vet care they don't claim the cat; that only happens if you surrender the cat to them, or if they think the cat is being abused or criminally neglected.

As for re-homing, it should be avoided if at all possible, but if it truly wasn't working out at your house, as long as you take care to find a decent home that's more compatible for the cat, it's not wrong.
Thank you for the well written response, covered everything.

I read on it a bit and now understand the rules for strays for the most part. I was just asking out of curiosity but it's something I really wanted to know about so thank you.

I never thought it would be "free" but yea not paying for the cat purchase price like you said is pretty cool and also saving a life :)

Yeah I was just wondering hypothetically as for the rehoming. I also believe that if the owner tried everything reasonable and it didn't work out and made sure the cat is going to a good place, it is perfectly fine. Due diligence must be in place though. Gotta do everything you can before it gets to this stage if it ever does.

Are there farms in your area? If so, they usually have plenty of kittens, and a lot of them are friendly. Join the local Facebook pet pages and keep an eye on the kitten ads (usually April-June is peak kitten season). Also look for notices pinned up on public bulletin boards, like at the grocery store, laundromat, post office, etc.

Oh, and call the vets in the area. They usually can hook you up with kittens needing homes.
Not many farms around here but I could drive up to a few up north which are not too far away. I never thought of that as an option. Thank you for pointing it out. Same for the Vets. I didn't know you could do that, pretty cool.

It might be possible to act as a foster home. That gives you a chance to find out if there is a bond with the kitty. So, contact the shelters near you and just ask what the rules are with strays. Can you foster it? Or, you should be able to check local ordinances for strays in your area online. That said, rehoming is tough for a kitty. You must prepare the kitty very well! It is traumatic. They must be very comfortable and social. As a rescuer, I would never let a kitty go that was NOT going to a place that would work for them. Multiple homes or shelters can do serious damage to their sense of trust and security. Also, is there a stray you have spotted? If so, please do whatever you can to help that kitty. Laws vary from country to country. Let me see if someone else can tell you more but the OSPCA does have a website. Maybe you can text or email with questions. I’ll forward your thread to a couple of others here.
I am gonna look into the foster home in the future. I feel like you can get really lucky finding the cat who bonds with you super well and choose to keep the cat for yourself. Let alone you probably learn so much about their care and also get to save their lives. Thank you for helping out and yes I checked the OSPCA website.

It's not wrong to get a free cat as long as both cat's are treated equally. Given a fair shot you may find the cat you've paid for may be the one that does not fit. Would you rehome free cat because you didn't pay or would you try to get reimbursement by selling on your other cat. There's a lot to think of like W Willowy has said there's no such thing as a free cat. I didn't pay for my kitten got him from a neighbour, but I have spent as much as the cost of buying a pedigree cat even using low cost vet clinics. It's something that you need to think of taking in strays. A lot have problems that need sorting to get a healthy cat. Whatever you decide I guess I'm just pointing out commitment would have to be given to both cat's. Hopefully it will work out kitten's normally get along.
Like I mentioned earlier, that was just a hypothetical. I was wondering where it falls on the ethical scale and how cats respond to being rehomed. Thank you for your comment, I truly appreciate it!

I can speak a bit more on the SPCA topics. I've been a volunteer at our local SPCA for over 10 years. Most shelters don't have the capacity to treat pets like a normal vet's office. We run on donations, and those donations go to the animals that are currently in the shelters care.
So, IF you found a cat and brought it to the shelter, claiming it as a stray or not, the first thing any reputable shelter will do is look for a microchip. If one is found, the owner will be contacted. If no chip is found, you have the option of surrendering it to the shelter (where it would then be under the care of the shelter, thus receiving all medical/nutritional/emotional care that the shelter offers), or taking the cat back home with you (where you would be responsible for any care from that point on).
Part of what we also ask when a potential adopter comes in, is "can you afford all of the costs associated with an animal adoption?" If you are concerned about how much the first kitten had cost you, or how much services cost for properly caring for an animal, then a second pet is not the right decision.
As for the "low-cost" vet services, those are really meant for people who were able to afford proper care of their pet, but fell on hard times for one reason or another. I will politely ask that you don't use those services just to save money. Sometimes those low cost services operate on limited funds/time, and it should really be used for their intended purposes.
As for rehoming an animal (no matter the reason), unless it's to someone you know VERY well and it's someone who has the capacity to properly care for that pet, I would always recommend surrendering to a no-kill animal shelter. There's most likely a small fee involved in surrendering (I think ours is $20 to help cover the medical check-up for every incoming animal we receive and any vaccinations that we end up giving), but at least they will be in a place that is guaranteed to give them food, water, medical care, love and attention. Plus, shelters do everything they can to make sure they get animals into loving homes.
My final advice, focus on 1 kitten. It sounds like you don't have the finances to properly care for more than one right now.
Thank you for all this valuable information. I love speaking with people who worked/volunteered in shelters or clinics. I keep hearing "taking care of two cats is not much more expensive than taking care of one cat" and I also watched a lot of YouTube videos which claimed the same (also from the point of view of less collateral damage) as in the cat not ruining the house cause it has a playmate or not scratching or biting you since they have another cat to do that with as well as being healthier mentally and less medical bills because it will be healthier having that companion. Then again I hear that unless you got them from the same litter.... It might be a disaster or a tough road to get them to be okay with each other. So I don't know what is right. I am pretty sure by now I can afford two cats considering I saved some money and getting a raise but it is still not the most comfortable thing for me to do (let alone I have no idea how to even take care of one). Thanks for all the details in your response!

I have found that other than vet expenses, two cats are about as cheap to raise as one. I bring all my cats in at once to the vet (at one time it was 4) and they charge me for one office charge. that helps a lot. also, check around for cheaper vets too, I changed 3 or 4 times because I didn't like how they treated cats, or they charged so much and found the PERFECT caring vet. He has not charged me for euthanizing horribly injured strays, he goes above and beyond treating my cats and has cried with me when my own die. I couldn't ask for more. In return, I have left neutering/spaying funds with him to use when I find a stray a home that has not been neutered, I call him with the name of the adopter.
Wow that's a beautiful story I obsessively searched for a good vet clinic by calling a lot of them in my area and I made a small list of the ones I liked and why I liked them. I honestly hope I will choose the right clinic. It really bugs me I won't be able to walk inside with my kitten for the first time ever (as a first time cat owner and as this kitten's first vet visit) due to covid rules... which MIGHT change by the end of this month and MAYBE they'll allow it. What I am planning on doing is planting a little recorder in the carrier so I can listen to the visit afterwards... Hopefully it will give me an idea how they treated my kitten. I really think they should have live feed cameras so the owners who are not allowed in right now due to covid regulations will still be able to see how their cat are being treated.

I wouldn't adopt a cat if you think you might not want it later on. A cat is a lifetime commitment. They are family.
That wasn't my point really, try to read it again. I agree with you. I think you gotta think real well prior to committing to taking care of another's life (human or animal). I was just asking generally if something DOESN'T work out and you tried EVERYTHING REASONABLE... What is the rule of thumb according to this community who has a lot more knowledge than me in this matter. It looks like a lot of people here speak of cats as if they're actual humans and I won't lie... I don't feel like that. Then again... It is much harder for me to bare the thought of giving it away now than it was a month ago (if things don't work out) and I didn't even get it yet. I guess the bond is being created prior to even bringing the kitten to my place. I am learning a lot about cats now and I can appreciate how smart and emotionally sensitive they can be. I hope it all works out. I am definitely working real hard and smart here. I am practically paying a little to raise the litter and educating the seller who doesn't know much about cats but is a nice person. I already feel committed and invested (both financially and emotionally).

Yeah I can tell that people here are crazy for cats and I won't lie... I used to think people like that were crazy (until I decided to buy a cat and I am researching about cats as if I am about to have a baby) and realized where that care is coming from so I can truly appreciate it now. Also it really helps out that people care so much because I am getting amazing feedback whenever I post a question.

I don't know anything about the IMO forum... Never been on it so I am not sure what you are referring to but yeah sounds like a judgmental spot lol. I get why people don't want to go on the Crossing the Bridge forum (which I also didn't know about) but I know that getting emotional support when you need it is super valuable so I will pay that forum a visit and make a few people at least feel good during their hard time.

Thank you for your beautiful comment.

i
I remember when Muffy passed away I posted it in the Crossing the Bridge forum and got very few responses. I was hurt and was going to leave the Cat Site because I thought no one cared. Muffy was the last of my 8 cats and I was not going to get any more cats because of my health. Then you posted a very kind post and I will never forget how thoughtfull you were. I am one of those posters that does not go to the Bridge forum because "it hurts so much". I always felt guilty about it but I am not good at espressing my feelings.

I am also one of the nasty ones that posts in the IMO. I've tried to tone it down for fear of getting locked out. I used to post in the Comuserve Forums and those people were so hatefull to each other. I thought all forums were like that.
I didn't know people felt so strongly about this here. It really feels like an internet family. Good job for being so caring and supportive, what a beautiful community.

I was that way too. But the few I did receive helped me, do I vowed to respond to other's grief so they might see a glimmer of hope in the hopeless darkness....
I guess that due to your own experience you felt the need to ease someone else's pain knowing how much you needed that during your time of grief. That is a beautiful thing to do.

I never posted in the Crossing The Bridge thread about my two previous 16 year old cats because honestly, I wasn't really a cat person so I wasn't bonded to them much other than basic care and love. Now... when Boone and/or Gracie passes, I will be a wreck. :lol2:
That is one of the reasons I was afraid to get a pet. I don't want to think about that day ever happening but I guess we don't have any control of that and we need to focus on the good. Sad that this is a part of life.

Yes, as you get older and closer to your own end, it hits much closer to your heart. I will be here for you when the inevitable happens, God willing!
Once again, it is beautiful how supportive you all are here. Good job good people!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you will continue to explore this site. I think you will find it enlightening. Ferals and Strays can show you how many battle to save lives and also the relationships seen between many cats that are working together to survive. The Health forum can teach you about the common or unusual health issues and how very devoted the people here are to the cats that become family members. The Rainbow Bridge not only shows the depth of how we all share each other’s pain but also how deeply we are affected by the loss of life. Every life counts on this earth. You may also read there about how one cat can comfort a human after the loss of another cat. Cats are very intuitive. They feel our vibes. If you have never looked back at cats in history, you might find that fascinating too. Many cultures in ancient history have highly valued the company of cats. And , No, they weren’t crazy cat people. They were smart! Lol Science is finally catching up to what cat guardians have long known. You might find some interesting studies about purring as a healing frequency or the way cats relate to humans. I could go on and on about the many aspects of cats but I leave it to you to search out what interests you right now. Feel free to ask questions. Many here will want to assist. This is certainly a family. Although we may have very different opinions about many things, we will certainly agree that cats are an important part of our lives and we value each other for that. As a group, there is strength in numbers. We will battle and research to help each other and each cat and our hearts beat as one when any is at risk. I don’t think you will find that on any other site. In the US, cats now outnumber dogs as an addition to families. I happen to love all creatures but that speaks volumes about changing attitudes towards cats. I think your opinions will be evolving as you learn more. I hope you will continue to educate others as you have been doing. I look forward to hearing more about your journey on the path to finding your own place in the life of a cat. (Or two)

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you will continue to explore this site. I think you will find it enlightening. Ferals and Strays can show you how many battle to save lives and also the relationships seen between many cats that are working together to survive. The Health forum can teach you about the common or unusual health issues and how very devoted the people here are to the cats that become family members. The Rainbow Bridge not only shows the depth of how we all share each other’s pain but also how deeply we are affected by the loss of life. Every life counts on this earth. You may also read there about how one cat can comfort a human after the loss of another cat. Cats are very intuitive. They feel our vibes. If you have never looked back at cats in history, you might find that fascinating too. Many cultures in ancient history have highly valued the company of cats. And , No, they weren’t crazy cat people. They were smart! Lol Science is finally catching up to what cat guardians have long known. You might find some interesting studies about purring as a healing frequency or the way cats relate to humans. I could go on and on about the many aspects of cats but I leave it to you to search out what interests you right now. Feel free to ask questions. Many here will want to assist. This is certainly a family. Although we may have very different opinions about many things, we will certainly agree that cats are an important part of our lives and we value each other for that. As a group, there is strength in numbers. We will battle and research to help each other and each cat and our hearts beat as one when any is at risk. I don’t think you will find that on any other site. In the US, cats now outnumber dogs as an addition to families. I happen to love all creatures but that speaks volumes about changing attitudes towards cats. I think your opinions will be evolving as you learn more. I hope you will continue to educate others as you have been doing. I look forward to hearing more about your journey on the path to finding your own place in the life of a cat. (Or two)
I loved reading your comment. Thank you for all of this valuable information. I appreciate how much you appreciate my efforts in learning all of this from scratch and educating the seller as well as caring for all of those cats as one. I just want to make sure I get mine in perfect health and help the others at the same time.

Cats are definitely fascinating historically and I don't know much but I know that there is a lot of research dating thousands of years back. If you have any interesting links to share, I will be sure to check them out and educate myself.

I heard that cats outnumber dogs in households now as well, that's pretty crazy. I always wanted a dog but I felt like starting out with a cat was the right way to go, as I also was interested in cats as well. I just hope it will go well as I worry for my quality of life and possessions lol.

People on this forum are by far the most amazing out of every community I have come across online. So much love and care and such quick and detailed answers. Definitely the feel of a family. Also like in families, sometimes there are misunderstandings but ultimately, everyone cares here.

I started a post about my kitten's nutrition in Cat Nutrition. Maybe you can weigh in. I want to make sure I give the seller the right information.