Is there dangerous levels of Mercury in cat food which contains fish?

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 4.5 month old kitten and I did some research and found that the brand I feed my cat in Dry food (Nulo) has real good Wet food options

I have two options from the sizes I was looking for:

Nulo MedalSeries Cat & Kitten Food - Grain Free, Turkey & Chicken (I would like to get this one as an occasional treat)

Nulo MedalSeries Cat & Kitten Food - Grain Free, Salmon & Mackerel (I want to get this one mainly and feed it daily in the mornings but unsure of Mercury levels)

Aside from the wet food, I also feed my cat dry food:

Nulo MedalSeries Cat & Kitten Food - Grain Free, Turkey & Cod

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding fish daily, in general, isn’t a good idea, imo. Some cats can get addicted to fish, some fish formulations have very high phosphorous levels, etc. Salmon and mackerel are both carnivorous fish, which generally means they’re not the safest, either, as they’ll eat other fish, which means they can accumulate heavy metals over time.
You‘d be best off contacting the company to ask about calcium phosphorous ratios and heavy metals. Cod is also a carnivorous fish, so feeding both dry and wet with fish isn’t a good idea, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeding fish daily, in general, isn’t a good idea, imo. Some cats can get addicted to fish, some fish formulations have very high phosphorous levels, etc. Salmon and mackerel are both carnivorous fish, which generally means they’re not the safest, either, as they’ll eat other fish, which means they can accumulate heavy metals over time.
You‘d be best off contacting the company to ask about calcium phosphorous ratios and heavy metals. Cod is also a carnivorous fish, so feeding both dry and wet with fish isn’t a good idea, imo.
Okay so I think I have my answer. I will go with the Turkey & Chicken version. According to one of the reviews someone apparently found bone-like particles in it. I will buy one 12.5Oz can for him and test it out.

I think it's decent to ask the company but maybe it's a bit of an overkill. Considering there are a million things I would wanna ask them. For example it says it is grain free but in the ingredients it list some grain like food and chemical like substances like Guar Gum and Agar Agar. Also who knows what the other things are, I'm not a scientist not a nutritionist so some stuff is unknown to me so I just hope I can trust it.

From what I understand if I want REAL PURE HEALTHY food then Raw Food diet it is and that is SUPER expensive. I could also go for the HIGHEST quality wet/dry food which isn't as expensive but still very pricey.

Ingredients:

Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Liver, Turkey Broth, Tuna, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Agar Agar, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Salt, Iron Proteinate, Sodium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At 4.5 months, get the kitten to start to eat non-fish options. I do use Nulo and have been happy with their product in general. Once the cat has become addicted to fish, you will have a hard time changing out of it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some much worse than others depending on where the fish swim. I think ocean fish is the worst sow why do prescription foods have it? Sardine are OK once in awhile since they don't swim nearly as low as tuna. You will find a list online