Is there anything wrong with giving this much boiled turkey daily?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to give more wet food to Hima or at least 50% of her diet but it's not working out well lately as three of the wet foods she eats irritated her and left only one formula. Right now it's

One can + a half of one canned food (Pro Plan Delicate, one can is 80 grams)
The rest is dry food, free-fed (Acana Wild Prairie grain-free)
She usually doesn't eat any treats. She gets one Fortiflora a day with her dinner which also has a few vitamins you know.

I'm anxious more than one can of Pro Plan a day will make her get sick of it as that happened with a former wet food she loved. No calorie info on Pro Plan but it's recommended 2-3 cans a day for a 4kg cat. Hima weighs 4,5kg.

I'm thinking about changing that "half of one canned" with boiled turkey breast meat and a bit of its water, make it one of the last meals of the day and see how it goes. Do you think there's anything wrong with that plan nutrition-wise?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, but as long as she is getting some of her food in the form of cat food that has the extra supplements, etc. she needs, I don't see any harm at all in giving her meat. You might call your vet and find out what he says. My philosophy is feed them what ever they will eat (in reason). Not getting enough food lowers their immune system and can hurt them physically too, especially their livers. But if you are in doubt, call your vet.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The boiled turkey on it's own is not a nutritionally complete diet for a cat. It's fine as a treat or supplement but a rule of thumb is that it should not compromise more than 10% of their daily diet unless the necessary supplements are added to the plain turkey in order to make it nutritionally complete. I think that replacing 1/2 a can of wet food with the boiled turkey would be a good deal over 10% of the daily calories for your cat. I wouldn't do it without adding the needed supplements to the turkey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm wondering with 10%. I don't know how much the boiled turkey would make of her diet with this plan. I would guess anything between 10-20%, it depends on how much dry food she will choose to eat that day I guess.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are carnivores, They get almost everything they need from meat. But that includes eating the organs and bones too. Boiling does take some nutrition out, but there is still a lot there. If there is any worry, get a good cat vitamin supplement to add to the diet. One with an immune booster would be good too. Dry is not that great either (my cats eat it too) but over my life I have seen MANY cats raised strictly on dry and tehy have lived to a ripe old age. I really believe it has more to do with heredity and and their environment. (many cats outdoors are exposed to too many dangers and disease.)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org says up to 15-20% is okay. You can find that statement on the page I linked to by searching 20%. :) I think I'd be uncomfortable feeding quite that much regularly but as long as your cat isn't one of those who licks gravy and leaves pieces of meat from wet food, you should be okay!