Is There Any Supplement For Cats That Hate Livers In Any Kinds?

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My princess Shanye hasn’t been eating enough livers for a few months. There is just no way I can make her eat them. I’ve tried liver of chicken, duck, lamb, rabbit, raw and cooked. I am so worried about her health!
Does anybody here know what product I can get and add it to her raw diet? Those powders with the smell of liver wont’t work because they have the smell of liver…
Thanks a lot in advance!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you actually tried any of the products that contain powered liver? She may surprise you and eat food that contains it. The smell and taste could be quite different from that of fresh.

Have you tried starting with just a tiny bit of liver and gradually adding more over time to see if she can get used it that way?

Are your feeding whole livers or is it part of a ground mix?

Liver is very high in nutrients. I think there are pre-mixes though that accomplish complete nutrition without using liver. Do you use bone or does calcium come from a supplement or pre-mix? Pre-mixes that don't have liver and don't require you to use liver probably already have calcium and shouldn't be used if you are feeding bone.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you actually tried any of the products that contain powered liver? She may surprise you and eat food that contains it. The smell and taste could be quite different from that of fresh.

Have you tried starting with just a tiny bit of liver and gradually adding more over time to see if she can get used it that way?

Are your feeding whole livers or is it part of a ground mix?

Liver is very high in nutrients. I think there are pre-mixes though that accomplish complete nutrition without using liver. Do you use bone or does calcium come from a supplement or pre-mix? Pre-mixes that don't have liver and don't require you to use liver probably already have calcium and shouldn't be used if you are feeding bone.
Thanks a lot mschauer! I use half bone and half calcium powder, not pre-mix. I am in China and the only two kinds of pre-mix I can find here, I’ve tried both. And I tried freeze-dried liver, chunk of liver and grounded, all failed. She used to love livers, she just decided to hate them suddenly from some day on. Can I feed her vitamin A to roughly replace for maybe a while? Do you know the amount that should be added? Hopefully she’s going to love livers again after some time.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you getting the livers at? Have you tried (if you can get it) beef liver? Is the liver you're getting factory farmed (big feed lots) or from smaller family ran farms?

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where are you getting the livers at? Have you tried (if you can get it) beef liver? Is the liver you're getting factory farmed (big feed lots) or from smaller family ran farms?
I buy the livers online, some like rabbit is from smaller personal farms which I am going to abandon because infection is too common), some like beef and lamb are imported, I assume they are from factory farms?

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
btw, I live in China. Situation can be quite different. :)

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't exclusively feed homemade food. I feed some homemade, some commercial raw (frozen and freeze dried) and canned food. My cat will not eat raw or cooked liver on it's own. He loves freeze dried raw turkey (which contains liver) but won't touch freeze dried turkey liver on it's own. However, he eats the canned food and the homemade and commercial raw which all contain turkey liver.

I don't know if you feed any canned food at all but if you do, or did, and your cat eats/ate it, then he is eating some liver since most if not all of them do contain some liver.

I don't feed chicken or chicken liver to my cat, I feed turkey. I cannot source turkey liver locally so I use freeze dried turkey liver. I use an old coffee grinder to grind the appropriate amount of freeze dried turkey liver into a powder. I then mix that powder in, uniformly, with the turkey meat. Since the liver only makes up a relatively small amount of the food (6%-7%) I really don't think my cat detects it at all when he eats. Maybe give that method a try.

Other than that, sorry, I don't know what to substitute for the liver.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot mschauer! I use half bone and half calcium powder, not pre-mix. I am in China and the only two kinds of pre-mix I can find here, I’ve tried both. And I tried freeze-dried liver, chunk of liver and grounded, all failed. She used to love livers, she just decided to hate them suddenly from some day on. Can I feed her vitamin A to roughly replace for maybe a while? Do you know the amount that should be added? Hopefully she’s going to love livers again after some time.
Chicken liver contains about 25,000 IU vit A per 8 oz. But liver is also a good source of iron,copper, selenium and some B vitamins. Maybe you can find a multi-vitamin that would provide at least some of that?

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ See if you can find Brewers Yeast. Animals like it and it contains lots of nutrients. Good for people too !
I cook liver for the cats sometimes but read that too much is not good due to possible vitamins A toxicity ?
NOW Foods Brewer's Yeast 1 lb Pwdr - Swanson Health Products
Thanks for your recommendation for the yeast I’ll go search for it! I think keeping the amount of liver at 5-10% is pretty essential and safe for cats. They have to have livers.

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't exclusively feed homemade food. I feed some homemade, some commercial raw (frozen and freeze dried) and canned food. My cat will not eat raw or cooked liver on it's own. He loves freeze dried raw turkey (which contains liver) but won't touch freeze dried turkey liver on it's own. However, he eats the canned food and the homemade and commercial raw which all contain turkey liver.

I don't know if you feed any canned food at all but if you do, or did, and your cat eats/ate it, then he is eating some liver since most if not all of them do contain some liver.

I don't feed chicken or chicken liver to my cat, I feed turkey. I cannot source turkey liver locally so I use freeze dried turkey liver. I use an old coffee grinder to grind the appropriate amount of freeze dried turkey liver into a powder. I then mix that powder in, uniformly, with the turkey meat. Since the liver only makes up a relatively small amount of the food (6%-7%) I really don't think my cat detects it at all when he eats. Maybe give that method a try.

Other than that, sorry, I don't know what to substitute for the liver.
Nope freeze dried doesn’t attract her at all. She will walk straight away if I add freeze dried liver… BUT last night I served steamed rabbit liver and she ate it!! Let’s see how long she will like it~

Shanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chicken liver contains about 25,000 IU vit A per 8 oz. But liver is also a good source of iron,copper, selenium and some B vitamins. Maybe you can find a multi-vitamin that would provide at least some of that?
Last night she was starving (very finicky kitty) and she ate the steamed rabbit liver! What a temporary relief! I’ll search for a multi-vitamin as back-up. thx~~