Is there any resemblance to British shorthair in this tabby?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She shows a slight resemblance in one photo but not enough to say.
I’d not be supporting a byb who is cross breeding cats if mother is a pedigree. Has the mother been HCM scanned, other breed appropriate tests done?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't see anything that looks specifically Brit. It's possible her body type could develop as she gets older but the head and the ears especially do not match the standard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parranoidmoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see anything that looks specifically Brit. It's possible her body type could develop as she gets older but the head and the ears especially do not match the standard.
Thanks for responding BSH is what I first googled and the resemblance just isn't there haha

parranoidmoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She shows a slight resemblance in one photo but not enough to say.
I’d not be supporting a byb who is cross breeding cats if mother is a pedigree. Has the mother been HCM scanned, other breed appropriate tests done?
I will ask, but from what I am told they never saw the father cat. seems fishy and I'll look elsewhere, thanks!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this the same kitten they wanted gone at 8 weeks?
support a reputable rescue or breeder instead

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the head is what distinguishes British shorthairs from most other breeds.

Fun fact: Their wide head with a permanent smile was author Louis Carroll's inspiration to create the Chesire Cat character.

parranoidmoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We finalized rehoming him from a byb and while its trustworthy id like to double check by hearing your opinions
15D3E930-F1E5-4BDA-9B49-6ED8DA36A575.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic shorthair, way too young to be away from mum. Fail to see how a BYB could be trustworthy. If it doesn’t have papers, it’s a DSH. Also doesn’t resemble the breed much at all. At a stretch, could have parents of poor type, but without papers, hard to prove.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from a byb and while its trustworthy
trustworthy and byb are not words that go together, in most cases they’ve purchased cats with contracts that they’ve broken by breeding and rehoming kittens unregistered.

BSH need to be DNA tested for PKD, they need to be scanned for HCM as well so ensure these vital tests have been done or you will need to do themselves yourself.

doesn’t look much like a BSH, nor anywhere near the correct age for rehoming.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you choose a different kitten? This one does not at all resemble the first kitten picture you posted. What’s up?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
P parranoidmoose you have another thread here asking about the breed of a different kitten.

Is this kitten a Scottish fold?

Are these all kittens you are considering adopting? I strongly advise you not to buy kittens from BYB. Apart from the fact that you would be supporting a horrible trade where lots of cats suffer from neglect, you also risk the heartbreak of choosing a sick kitten that dies while he/she is still very young.

If you are considering adopting a kitten please either adopt from your local shelter or look for a reputable breeder.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with what is already said. Very nice moggies, no visible traces of the british.

The situation may become clearer when they are older. But the brits kittens have often a typical look of teddy bear.

Last edited: