Is There Any Issue With Giving My Cat Ice...?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Possibly a dumb question, but is there any reason why cats or kittens shouldn’t have ice cubes?

My kitten is 5 months old and usually pants a little after chasing his favorite toy for a while, and recently when we had a heat wave he was panting more (we don’t have AC) but still wanting to play, so I gave him an ice cube in a bowl and he LOVED it. He’s figured out they come from the freezer and now requests one by meowing at the freezer after playtime in the hopes that an ice cube will appear. He never bites the ice, just licks it/the cold water under it for a minute or two and paws at it in the bowl. Can I keep giving him ice as a treat sometimes or is there some thing I’m not thinking of that could be bad?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to give my kitten a piece of ice to play with. He loved it. I loved it until I stepped into a cold puddle of water. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok that’s what I figured, just wanted to check because I’ve never had a cat obsessed with ice cubes before lol

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of people putting a few ice cubes in a pet water fountain. The combination of the ice cubes and the moving water enticed their cats to play and in the process drink some water.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My former cat, Spike, used to like playing with ice cubes.

He liked playing hockey with them. He'd bat them with his paw and send them sailing across the linoleum floor. It was one of his favorite pass times. :)

As long as your cat is otherwise healthy and he likes to play with ice cubes, there should be no problem. :)