Is There a Vicks-like Product that is Safe for Cats? Maybe HomeoPet?

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Following three vet trips last week, including one for an ultrasound, my boy Quincy has either caught a cold or is having a stress and/or steroid related herpes flare. He's fine and acting normal, except that he has nasal congestion and sneezing. The vet says ride it out since it is almost definitely viral, and since he's eating and drinking and otherwise normal.

As far as just basic symptom relief, I know Vicks, eucalyptus oil, and other essential oil products can be deadly for cats. Is there something similar to Vicks that IS safe for cats? I've seen the HomeoPet nasal product but I'm finding it hard to buy their concept. Has anyone tried that?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried anything except locking her in my bedroom for piece and quiet plus protecting my other cats and a heated bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did have him in the bathroom with the shower running on hot and the vaporizer (without any vaporizer additive) running, but it didn't seem to help much. :-(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
she had stuffy nose and sneezing. One time she was eating it looked like she was having a seizure. Since she also has a sensitive tummy her new vet ran numerous tests. She was fine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he sitting close enough to the vaporizer? Some recommend putting the cat in a carrier and placing the carrier in front of the vaporizer. I do understand that being in a carrier might not be a help, but maybe proximity has something to do with it. Ask your vet for an additive that is safe, or a suggestion of one.

I am not a homeopathic kind of gal, so I have never used HomeoPet. Not saying that you should not try it if you think it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I find the homeopathy really really hard to believe myself. After I read the description more carefully, turns out it's something you're supposed to add to food, not a topical, so I nixed that idea. I've sent the vet's office an email, and I may try the carrier idea. I hadn't thought of that, and I'm not really sure he was getting enough steam.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he sits in the bathroom with you just fine with the steam, you could try to set up placement of the vaporizer so that he is closer to it, but in a similar position as you have him in when he is in the bathroom?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you set the carrier in front of the vapoirizer be sure you leave a space inside it for him to move away from the steam if he wants to. Remember where you would have the steam drifting up and toward you, he'll be getting it sort of straight on in his face.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ASPCA says that eucalyptus is poisonous to cats.

According to the ASPCA, fresh eucalyptus is indeed toxic to cats. Not only is the plant poisonous to felines, but also to doggies and horses. The dangerous component of fresh eucalyptus is its essential oils, which are known as eucalyptol. The organic oil is totally clear in color and offers disinfectant properties. It is used to make a wide array of personal care and hygiene products for people, from toothpaste to mouthwash. Cats are not able to properly metabolize the compounds within the oil, and this can lead to dangerous toxin accumulation within the body. Undiluted eucalyptol can be harmful -- and without veterinary care, possibly even fatal -- in any amount, so keep it away from your pet no matter what.