Is there a meaning to your cat's name?

lildee69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all !!! My cat's name is Hal short for Halloween. He scrunches up and looks like a Halloween cat ! His body curves around and it is the funniest thing to see. Tough to take pictures of tho.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Pip.  Cute name for a cute cat, but also a bit of a nod to "Great Expectations".  I didn't ever want another cat after I lost my beloved Kami, however the itch must be scratched right? So I had "great expectations" for my next cat.

My dear departed Kami was born on February 14th - I always called her My Funny Valentine.  When I decided I was ready to adopt again I looked at shelter pics online every day, just knowing that i would know when the right kitten popped up.  Weeks went by and I just couldn't commit, because I think I felt guilty about getting another cat......was I being disloyal to Kami?  So I looked to the heavens and said, "Kami, you pick the next kitten for me".  And what do you know, a few days later i was looking at kitten pics at the SPCA and BURST into tears when this little one popped up.  "that's her Kami!!"

Next day I trundled off to the SPCA to adopt her - and I didn't notice until weeks later when I took this picture that she has a little heart-shaped spot on her wrist.  Truly a sign that Kami My Funny Valentine chose her for me!

And Pip has surpassed my great expectations and is a joy.  She is a kook and a happy happy cat who loves people.  

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pipperoo

So sorry to hear about Kami but want to congratulate you for adopting Pip. She's is sweet looking gal and hope you enjoy her as much as Kami! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she sure does have her "heart on her sleeve", doesn't she?  Amazing.  Yes, cats come into our lives when they are needed, I'm convinced.  After losing our beloved Sammi at 21 last November, we were a girls-only house, and I wanted to adopt another mancat, but then my sweet Rani, 19, started into her final illness and I could not bring that stress on her.  She went on ahead on June 29, and I thought after a little while that the time might be right.  Then I was contacted by a dear friend who knew someone who knew of someone who needed to rehome his neutered adult male cat, and everything just seemed "right".  He's been with us for 3 weeks now, and he is the PERFECT addition to our family! 

kioko43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a tough time naming Mila Bastet. We set out to have our friends help us and everyone loved Mimi and Miracle because frankly,with her story, it's a miracle she's alive. She's precious. My son loved the name Milo because when he was a toddler he watched Milo and Otis with my father. Well we soon found out she was a girl so I set out to research the meaning of Mila. Personally, I wanted an Egyptian Goddess name. Well it turned out Mila is Slavic in origin (we speak Eastern Slavic in our home with our animals). It is short for Mimi (I'm still trying to figure that one out). It's the beginning of the word Milgro, which in Spanish means Miracle. It means dear one or precious one.
In the Egyptian times, cats were held in very high regard. Bastet means precious little one. It all fit perfectly for this little tiny dying soul that stole every one of our hearts. No words can even describe the love I have for her. She was dying when she came to me. I spent days awake with her around,the clock to save her little life. She knows knows it. The love she gives back is deeper than that of any other rescue I've ever had. Precious one. Dear one. Goddess. Miracle. She is Mila Bastet.

darren7481

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an old pic, Morty is now all grown up:)
Well that's adorable! I have 3 siamese cats: Mortimer, Cassie & Gertrude. Mortimer is an almost perfect blue-point show cat, he has like 4 stripes on his tail... but that's not why I adopted him 8yrs ago! I brought him home so he wouldn't get eaten by coyotes, that creamy almost white fur is a total beacon for predators in the desert. Then there's Cassie- I adopted her stripey butted self @9yrs old after me & Morty couldn't live w/o our big stripey siamese (we'd lost our Sid who was 12yrs, biggest best stripey Siamese tomcat ever), so it was the 3 of us for a bit, but Morty & Cassie never really got along. Then Gertrude ran across our porch one night! She was tiny, yet stripey & blue eyed & friendly. We all fell in love w/Gertrude. Gerty volunteered w/me @a spay/neuter/first-shots event w/1000 other dogs & cats who we got to help -the rest is history! Best Cats Ever.

Anyway, the meanings behind my kitties' names are:

Mortimer- 'Dead Sea', still waters

Gertrude- 'Spear of Strength'

Cassie-  'to Shine/excel'

meandcaptinmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Does the name you gave to your cat has a meaning?
Is there a story behind his/her name?

My Pizz, got his name from my daughter first time they met and it seems like he really loved it from the beginning.
What's your story? Share with us! 
When I got disabled and had to move to the city and give up driving, I bought my first computer. Seemed like a good time to take up a hobby. I found funny people at Yahoo Answers and made friends. A vet from Indiana and I used to IM chat daily, and I had gotten attracted to a picture of a flying cat. He had a cape like superman and flew in the sky. I thought that was great, but she said it belonged to someone, so we went looking for a picture that might be okay to use. Finally found this:

Though we also considered this one... (it was just cute)..

My friend asked "what's that?" when I located that particular picture, and I just said the first thing that popped in my head ("That's Captain Meow!").
So he became our mascot, for our evening talks each day.
We would imaginarily send him flying back and forth between Massachusetts and Indiana.
It was much fun, and led to a lot of laughs (always I look for the laughs).

Anyway, my Vet friend felt I might become lonely living isolated in a city after leaving all my friends behind, so she suggested a cat, and I so liked the name Captain Meow I named my new real kitten after our imaginary mascot friend. I also bought a pen tablet and an animation program, in the hopes of making a silly comic strip character of him (oh yea, see Captain Meow is a hero. He has a cape and can fly, sure, but mostly he just flies in his little space ship and defends the universe from mouseses and other such menacing dangers. But now...he doesn't drive very well though, because he has a little shameful habit (he smokes cigarettes without filters). And given he has a marked natural attention deficit to begin with, being a cat and all (Hey, whats that? A shiny thing? Bat. Bat bat. *starts chewing himself and forgets......next thing you know the space cops have him pulled over and all he can say to the officer is "What?" And his eyes are all red and he wants potato chips. *sigh* But so he has one little fault! And.. so he never really gets around to saving anything, but he has a great time flying the ship! ( in little circles, and giggling, because he forgot to steer.

Where was I? Oh yea. So..that's the captain meow comic strip idea. Probably a good thing I never did get around to drawing it, eh? *shrug*

So..I call him Captain Meow!
(I mean I suppose I could have named him Walter or something (which is my other strange foible I have, where I like to give animals people names (oh yes, I had a Harold, a Hellen, a Penelope....and so on). So does Captain Meow have a first name then (other than his rank, as space ship captain? Mmm...good question. Hold on, I'll ask him. pssswss pssswss psss.. Okay, you know what he said?

Nothing. He's a cat! Cats cant talk! Don't be silly! (Besides, you can't call HIS views on politics talking!) HA!!

o_O

Oops

So does he have a first name? No, we never gave him one. He's Captain Meow. And I call him Bun Bun for short a lot too. Cause he just seems like a Bun Bun to me.

Those are his kitten pictures. He's actually 8 years old now.

Last edited:

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby actually picked her name. When I adopted her they had called her Sylvia, but she wouldn't answer to that when I got her home. I tried calling her by a lot of different names, all of which she ignored. Finally in desperation I called out who's mama's baby and then she came to me. She's been Baby ever since.

meandcaptinmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby actually picked her name. When I adopted her they had called her Sylvia, but she wouldn't answer to that when I got her home. I tried calling her by a lot of different names, all of which she ignored. Finally in desperation I called out who's mama's baby and then she came to me. She's been Baby ever since.
That's sweet. Yea, I got a friend who calls his cat "Very Good", for a similar reason. It's just what he responded to, and he had to be told when he was doing "good" a lot (apparently), so it kinda stuck.

Oh and I had a cat with no name at all! It was a kitten we gave to my sister who let her toddler name him the only thing he could say ("Kitty"), and then she gave the kitten back because of concerns about her new baby. So we just felt like she'd never been named. Well, the other cats wouldn't accept her, so she was kind of outcast and stayed in and ate too much, and we gave her extra love. And one day my poor father took to calling her "Dumb Dumb". I know that may seem unkind, but from him, that was expressing affection. So we called her Dum Dum!! lol
Aaw *misses Dum Dum still* (She died of old age a few years ago now...but she was very important to us.

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so sweet. Cats are truly amazingly intelligent animals! I had a black cat we called Taz because of the way he reacted to our dog when they first met. I had a grey cat named Shadow, so named because he shadowed me and talk to me constantly. I also had a cat named Callie because she was a calico cat and the name fit her perfectly. All of my cats were rescues except for Taz. He was the only one I picked as a kitten. I say they were rescues but truly they rescued and adopted me. I've been truly blessed by their love.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He also doesn't like if I don't pay attention to him.
Though we also considered this one... (it was just cute)..

My friend asked "what's that?" when I located that particular picture, and I just said the first thing that popped in my head ("That's Captain Meow!").
So he became our mascot, for our evening talks each day.
We would imaginarily send him flying back and forth between Massachusetts and Indiana.
It was much fun, and led to a lot of laughs (always I look for the laughs).

Anyway, my Vet friend felt I might become lonely living isolated in a city after leaving all my friends behind, so she suggested a cat, and I so liked the name Captain Meow I named my new real kitten after our imaginary mascot friend. I also bought a pen tablet and an animation program, in the hopes of making a silly comic strip character of him (oh yea, see Captain Meow is a hero. He has a cape and can fly, sure, but mostly he just flies in his little space ship and defends the universe from mouseses and other such menacing dangers. But now...he doesn't drive very well though, because he has a little shameful habit (he smokes cigarettes without filters). And given he has a marked natural attention deficit to begin with, being a cat and all (Hey, whats that? A shiny thing? Bat. Bat bat. *starts chewing himself and forgets......next thing you know the space cops have him pulled over and all he can say to the officer is "What?" And his eyes are all red and he wants potato chips. *sigh* But so he has one little fault! And.. so he never really gets around to saving anything, but he has a great time flying the ship! ( in little circles, and giggling, because he forgot to steer.

Where was I? Oh yea. So..that's the captain meow comic strip idea. Probably a good thing I never did get around to drawing it, eh? *shrug*

So..I call him Captain Meow!
(I mean I suppose I could have named him Walter or something (which is my other strange foible I have, where I like to give animals people names (oh yes, I had a Harold, a Hellen, a Penelope....and so on). So does Captain Meow have a first name then (other than his rank, as space ship captain? Mmm...good question. Hold on, I'll ask him. pssswss pssswss psss.. Okay, you know what he said?

Nothing. He's a cat! Cats cant talk! Don't be silly! (Besides, you can't call HIS views on politics talking!) HA!!

o_O

Oops

So does he have a first name? No, we never gave him one. He's Captain Meow. And I call him Bun Bun for short a lot too. Cause he just seems like a Bun Bun to me.

Those are his kitten pictures. He's actually 8 years old now.​
I would totally read that comic.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats have names from Terry Pratchett'd discworld books. Captain Carrot Ironfounderson, Angua Von Uberwald, and Ruby- who is a troll and has no last names (our cat's full name is Ruby Tiffany Aching since we wanted to name her Tiffany- but it didn't fit her). 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Maple - She was born near Toronto, Ontario, so her name pays homage to her Canadian roots. Mom wanted to call her "Canuck" but I nixed that one.

Oscar & Oliver - The kittens (littermates) I adopted last year. Took almost three weeks to name them. Originally called the Tweedledum and Tweedledee (respectively) because I didn't want them just being labeled as a number at the vet. Anyway, Oliver got named fairly quickly, maybe within a week. Reminded me of the Little Orphan Oliver for some reason. He had such a pitiful look and sound about him too. He still does have a pitiful sound, lol. We tossed about a bunch of names for the other one. Mom said we should name him Stan (Stan & Ollie), and I didn't like that one. Then my neighbor said we should name them Felix and Oscar. Oscar was PERFECT for this one! But no way the other one was Felix... he was still gonna be Oliver. So, we have Oscar and Oliver :)

Penelopy - No real meaning here, this was the name she had at the shelter. It seemed to really fit her though. Unique spelling and all. She's a very unique kitty who just stole my heart.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The meaning of our two cats names are Komere because she never comes here  and Zeus because he thinks he's a god and we should worship him