Is there a general rule of thumb re: measurements when substituting beans/peas for ground meat in recipes?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'd like to try replacing ground meat in some favorite family recipes, and was just needing a starting point as to how to proceed. :wink:

For example, if a recipe calls for one pound of ground beef, and I cook a one pound bag of lentils, how does that work? :biggrin:

Also, what are some good binders besides oatmeal, preferably as close to their original form as possible? I'm trying to cut back on using more processed stuff such as Panko bread crumbs, crackers, etc.

Thanks much!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is an easy one-to-one substitution, cheeser cheeser When you brown one pound of ground beef it shrinks somewhat and fat melts out. When you cook one pound of lentils (or beans) they increase in size.

Perhaps start off by cooking some vegetarian lentil or bean recipes to see how they work. Then think about how to go about adapting your family recipes.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:you just need to cook up a few test runs and hopefully you have a few live in test subjects. to help you eat the mistakes until you find the best ratio that works i do that to my gf all the time:lol: so far i have been banned from using pineapple to cook anything with or using flour to thicken stews and such unless its beef stew in a crock pot:lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that ground beef shrinks when cooked, but dried lentils increase in size. Therefore, you might want to say a pound of cooked ground beef could equal two cups of cooked lentils. Or thereabouts. That's about the closest I would try. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is an easy one-to-one substitution, cheeser cheeser When you brown one pound of ground beef it shrinks somewhat and fat melts out. When you cook one pound of lentils (or beans) they increase in size.

Perhaps start off by cooking some vegetarian lentil or bean recipes to see how they work. Then think about how to go about adapting your family recipes.
Thanks! That's a helpful start. :)

I figured it wasn't as easy as just substituting one pound of uncooked meat with one pound of dried peas, beans, etc. I just thought maybe there might be some general guidelines of which I was woefully unaware.

I have tried some vegetarian recipes, and my family (for the most part) has been good-natured about trying new things. Now I just need to make some old things new again. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:you just need to cook up a few test runs and hopefully you have a few live in test subjects. to help you eat the mistakes until you find the best ratio that works i do that to my gf all the time:lol: so far i have been banned from using pineapple to cook anything with or using flour to thicken stews and such unless its beef stew in a crock pot:lol:
Hee! I was afraid of that! :biggrin:

Thus far, I haven't had too many culinary disasters as I've been experimenting in the kitchen like a mad scientist, although there were a few close calls when I learned how to bake bread while we were in lockdown. But I do tend to be a tad obsessive about cooking the same things over and over until I get it right, and I was just hoping there was a mystical and magical shortcut to spare my family from having to eat a modified version of a beloved family favorite several days in a row. :wink:

Alas, I understand all too well about having to take other people's tastes into consideration when preparing meals. There are some things that I absolutely adore, but never make anymore because I'm the only one who likes it. Ah, the price we pay to make others happy!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that ground beef shrinks when cooked, but dried lentils increase in size. Therefore, you might want to say a pound of cooked ground beef could equal two cups of cooked lentils. Or thereabouts. That's about the closest I would try. Good luck!
Thanks oodles!

I think I'll start with trying to modify a recipe that's usually pretty forgiving, such as meatloaf, and see how that goes. And if it doesn't work out, I can always whip up a batch of tortillas and make tacos. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found when trying to make my original recipes, such as goulash or noodle casserole, I prefer to use a veggie round for the ground beef, rather than lentils, beans, or even quinoa. And since you add the veggie round at the end of the recipe, so it only cooks long enough to warm, you can just add some, see if it's enough, then add more as you go.

For a veggie meat loaf, check out lentil loaf recipes. Here's the link to the one I make: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

Here's the link to my egg noodle casserole: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hee! I was afraid of that! :biggrin:

Thus far, I haven't had too many culinary disasters as I've been experimenting in the kitchen like a mad scientist, although there were a few close calls when I learned how to bake bread while we were in lockdown. But I do tend to be a tad obsessive about cooking the same things over and over until I get it right, and I was just hoping there was a mystical and magical shortcut to spare my family from having to eat a modified version of a beloved family favorite several days in a row. :wink:

Alas, I understand all too well about having to take other people's tastes into consideration when preparing meals. There are some things that I absolutely adore, but never make anymore because I'm the only one who likes it. Ah, the price we pay to make others happy!
:lol:just gotta point out to them your cooking tastes best cause its made and seasoned with love so they have to eat it:lol:yeah its a hard balance to figure out about taste took me about a year to get an acceptable balance of how to cook certain foods that isnt to bland for me and not to salty for the gf:lol::flail: but she is my lil lab rat and always gets first bite of anything new i try cooking if she makes the face then i dont even try what i made then:lol: