Is there a food that you do NOT want to see on your Thanksgiving table?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roasted turnip is AMAZING. It has that peppery zing. I really like it as part of a roasted root veggie mixture. I don't think I've had it any other way---it has such a bad reputation that I don't think most people want to try it. Just like Brussels sprouts. Although I was just reading that they have tweaked the breeding of Brussels sprouts, and that's why they taste better now, not just because of better preparation techniques.
The mashed roasted banana adds something,and you really can't tell what it is,but it's soooooo much better
Ooh, that sounds good! I've had roasted banana and I know that flavor you mean. It's very unexpected. I'll have to try mixing it with sweet potato now.

My grandma always tried to make gravy by mixing a little cornstarch with the drippings from the turkey. I don't even know if that's how gravy is supposed to be made or not, but it was terrible. Didn't even look like gravy---just like cloudy meat juice. Someone always had to sneak a jar of storebought gravy in to make things bearable. I definitely don't want to see THAT again.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Roasted turnip is AMAZING. It has that peppery zing. I really like it as part of a roasted root veggie mixture. I don't think I've had it any other way---it has such a bad reputation that I don't think most people want to try it. Just like Brussels sprouts. Although I was just reading that they have tweaked the breeding of Brussels sprouts, and that's why they taste better now, not just because of better preparation techniques.

Ooh, that sounds good! I've had roasted banana and I know that flavor you mean. It's very unexpected. I'll have to try mixing it with sweet potato now.

My grandma always tried to make gravy by mixing a little cornstarch with the drippings from the turkey. I don't even know if that's how gravy is supposed to be made or not, but it was terrible. Didn't even look like gravy---just like cloudy meat juice. Someone always had to sneak a jar of storebought gravy in to make things bearable. I definitely don't want to see THAT again.
My mom boiled the turnips and mashed them. :headshake:

They were mushy and bland. They also looked sort of like mashed potatoes until you took a bite and tasted sadness, lies and disappointment. :frown:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just like Brussels sprouts. Although I was just reading that they have tweaked the breeding of Brussels sprouts, and that's why they taste better now, not just because of better preparation techniques.
I just read that Brussels Sprouts is another thing like Cilantro it is genetic. Some people have a gene where Brussels Sprouts just taste very bitter, others don't.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read that Brussels Sprouts is another thing like Cilantro it is genetic. Some people have a gene where Brussels Sprouts just taste very bitter, others don't.
I read that too. It makes sense. To me they taste like sulfur smells. Those are another vegetable that got boiled to death when I was a kid. That might have something to do with it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The things I do not look forward to seeing on the Thanksgiving table: Pickled herring, Salad Olivier, whole raw scallions, and vodka.

Maybe you can tell that I have Russian in-laws :lol:

There are plenty of Russian food items that I like, but not those things...

Most of the things people posted in this thread are things I look forward to, like brussels sprouts, turnips, sweet potatoes, yum!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No turkey. Roast chicken does well, if not over cooked! I think most people don't like collard or turnip greens because most recipes over cook them. I found a receipe for green cabbage, that was essentially just chop then stir fry/saute at low temperature JUST until it wilts. If you like garlic toss in some slices as the greens cook. This works well for collard and turnip greens.Cook till just wilted, not to the mushy point!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true. Until I learned that, I had always been baffled as to why people would call Brussels sprouts bitter. I can't detect the bitterness. I love greens too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd think it'd be the same gene, but I like brussel sprouts and think cilantro tastes like soap.

I don't want to see tomatoes...but that's every day!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... so, I like cilantro, but I hate brussel sprouts. How does that fit with the gene theory?
I also hate lima beans... it's a texture thing.

Otherwise, the only other "holiday food" that I really find disgusting are the weird jellos. I actually like jello; just please, for the love of dog, leave the freakin' carrots and cottage cheese out of it!

Now, the banana + sweet potato mix... that sounds interesting!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I like almost everything but I like green bean casserole made with fresh green beans, the skinny kind. We have
appetizers, usually shrimp cocktail, and I will fill up on that and can only a eat a small amount of dinner.
No worries, I always have a huge amount of left-overs to take home.:thumbsup:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
and tasted sadness, lies and disappointment. :frown:
:spew:

I didn't know that. I looove cilantro. Used to hate Brussels sprouts but I'm coming around. I had some a few nights ago with maple syrup that my DIL made and they were delicious.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'd think it'd be the same gene, but I like brussel sprouts and think cilantro tastes like soap.

I don't want to see tomatoes...but that's every day!
I took it to mean that they were both genetic but different genes. :think:

I think the brussel sprout thing might be partly to blame on how they are cooked. Like I said above, my mom boiled them to death like she did with a lot of vegetables. They were awful. There ain't nothing that can be done to cilantro to make it taste like anything but soap to me. Then again, I bet a blowtorch could take it away. It's worth a try to save innocent food from its evil clutches. :insertevillaugh: