Is there a food safe for both cats and kittens?

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a new kitten named Phoenix. She was born April 1, 2010. Definitely born the right day that one. lol. Anyways right now she is eating purina kitten chow. Well actually just finished the bag today. It was given to me when I went and picked her up. my mother's 2 adult cats are on purina cat chow. However they were always eating Phoenix's food and Phoenix theirs. Is there a type of food that is safe for both? They are all nice size cats. Perfectly healthy. The only real nutritional needs are Phoenix's being a kitten.

ryffian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are fairly resilliant when it comes to nutrition. Yes, there is kitten food and adult foot, and "suitable for all life stages" food. In nature, cats and kittens all eat the same diet (mice, other small rodents, bugs, etc.). You could always switch to feeding everyone kitten food--with healthy adult cats the biggest risk would be weight gain.

Do you meal feed or have food sitting out all day for them to "graze"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The adults are free fed but the kitten is fed in meals for the most part. If she is left to graze she eats too much and gets sick

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
kitten chow is a All life stage food... look for a AFFCO seal and you will see either of these : for growth and maintence, all life stages or adult maintence...

cat chow is also all life stage... IMHO kitten is better as more protein..

What store do you have available as there are far better foods for your kittys... How many meals a day? for a young kitten ( under 6 months) to meal feed you need to give at least 4 meals a day.

the old thinking of well they eat the same in the wild is unfounded as the lifespan of a cat in the wild is under 3 yrs thus they are usually still eating at a growth rate...

Kitten food normally would not cause weight gain if you select a solid one as it will have more protein and fat and less carbs... cats and kittens need protein and fat in large to moderate quantity but have only a small need for carbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have plenty of pet stores that easily traveled to. The only reason Phoenix was on kitten chow is because it was given to me by her previous owner. As for Tinkerbell and Mischief I have tried telling my mother numerous times that there are way better food than cat chow for them.
I wanted to try Blue for my kitten but I don't know if its good for both life stages

Edit: Phoenix is fed 3-4 times a day depending.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
read the back ... the kitten likely is ...