Is there a chance of misdiagnoses of FIP?

seaneka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My friend has a 6 month Marble Bengal, who was recently diagnosed with FIP. The vet gave him two weeks to live. But recently the kitty started getting more energy and even played the other day.

His belly is swollen, and he was exhibiting many of the symptoms of FIP. But with him gaining energy every day it makes me wonder if he was misdiagnosed?
Or is it just from the effects of the medicine hes on: amoxicillin and steroids

His titter counter as well was very high, titter is the way they count corona virus... and he has like a 1600 .. i guess 1200-1400 is bad.

Should he go to another vet?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a case like this, there is NEVER a problem getting a second opinion. Personally I would do so in a heartbeat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FIP is more often misdiagnosed than correctly diagnosed. Many cats will show titer counts as if they have FIP. In wet form, FIP has no recovery. If this baby is bouncing back and acting more lively, chances are it is not FIP. A second opinion sounds to be in order.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it would definitely be worth it to get a second opinion. As you probably know, the titer count only shows that a cat has been exposed to the corona virus, and many cats--espeecially those who have lived in shelters or catteries--have been exposed. Of course, that does not mean that the corona virus will ever mutate into FIP. I had a 6-month-old cat with wet FIP, and she went downhill very quickly, even with "treatment" (there's no cure). It's a very mysterious disease though and is frequently misdiagnosed, so look into a second opinion. I sure hope it's not FIP.