Is the slow introduction an absolute necessity?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, our kitty lost her sister and has been very lonely. However, her behavior has returned to mostly normal. We would like to get her a companion, especially since so many kitties need good homes. However, I do not know if I have the time or patience to do a days-long or weeks-long two-room introduction process. There are times of the day when we are all coming or going, so the cats would be alone. It seems almost cruel to leave a new kitty trapped in a room by itself for days. I don't want to stress out either cat, but I am not up for the long, slow intro process. If it were a day or two, I'd set it up for a weekend when I knew I'd be home the entire time. But some articles I read say it can take weeks? Am I better off leaving my cat a solo kitty? Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

PS - I've read all the links, articles, etc. I'm looking to hear about other folks' personal experiences with introducing a new cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Even if you receive 100 responses here that people just 'threw' two cats together and everything worked out fine (which odds are you won't), that does not mean it would work that way for you.

With that in mind, you probably need a Plan B and maybe a Plan C. Plan B would be to retreat to a proper introduction. Plan C would likely be to rehome the new cat. Plan D might be your best bet - until you can find the time that is typically needed to bring a new cat into a home with a resident cat - that being 'don't do it now'.

Have you ever considered other ways to entertain your cat in lieu of getting another one? Cat music, bird/squirrel videos, interactive toys, lots of cat trees/perches by windows perhaps with a bird feeder or two? Maybe this is one article you didn't read -
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Even if you receive 100 responses here that people just 'threw' two cats together and everything worked out fine (which odds are you won't), that does not mean it would work that way for you.

With that in mind, you probably need a Plan B and maybe a Plan C. Plan B would be to retreat to a proper introduction. Plan C would likely be to rehome the new cat. Plan D might be your best bet - until you can find the time that is typically needed to bring a new cat into a home with a resident cat - that being 'don't do it now'.

Have you ever considered other ways to entertain your cat in lieu of getting another one? Cat music, bird/squirrel videos, interactive toys, lots of cat trees/perches by windows perhaps with a bird feeder or two? Maybe this is one article you didn't read -
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks! No, I didn’t see that article, I’ll take a look at it. You’re probably right, it’s probably best to wait until things slow down a little and I do have the time. Winter is slower for us, so maybe I should try to exercise a little patience.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi B BeccaCat ...winter is too far away. :blush:

No, but seriously, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's advice is the most realistic, in having back-up plans, in case your cat does not accept the new cat fairly quickly. :thumbsup:

Could you tell us a bit about your resident cat? :bluepaw:
How social, playful, and energetic is she?
Does she initiate Play or does she like more time to nap, cuddle, watch out windows, etc.?
How old is she?

Also, are you planning on getting a kitten,...or an older cat?
Since that would may make a difference in the time frame of introductions, too.
Some older cats accept kittens, but some older cats are frightened by the kittens' movements.

If you could 'foster some kittens'...then you may end up with a 'foster fail' and may be able to match up which kitten your cat would be okay with. You may end up with two kittens who are bonded, though.

I don't think some cat intros take days,...but in the past one of our members lost her 2 year boy cat, and then did get another kitten, who the 2 yr old bonded to, quite quickly. It really depends on the cat's personality, and fears, territorial instincts, etc.

Every cat intro, is unique, and so the guides are there, as a certain Plan, which when followed, would decrease all the instinctual fears that cats would have, with newcomers coming into their territory.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is probably the number one thing you can have during cat intros...that will help...in any situation:
A proper gate set up:
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

It allows cats to see each other, at the Visual Stage, but not be able to 'hurt each other'...and so makes cat intros, move along with the cats still being able to see the rest of the household, not feeling left out.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi B BeccaCat ...winter is too far away. :blush:

No, but seriously, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's advice is the most realistic, in having back-up plans, in case your cat does not accept the new cat fairly quickly. :thumbsup:

Could you tell us a bit about your resident cat? :bluepaw:
How social, playful, and energetic is she?
Does she initiate Play or does she like more time to nap, cuddle, watch out windows, etc.?
How old is she?

Also, are you planning on getting a kitten,...or an older cat?
Since that would may make a difference in the time frame of introductions, too.
Some older cats accept kittens, but some older cats are frightened by the kittens' movements.

If you could 'foster some kittens'...then you may end up with a 'foster fail' and may be able to match up which kitten your cat would be okay with. You may end up with two kittens who are bonded, though.

I don't think some cat intros take days,...but in the past one of our members lost her 2 year boy cat, and then did get another kitten, who the 2 yr old bonded to, quite quickly. It really depends on the cat's personality, and fears, territorial instincts, etc.

Every cat intro, is unique, and so the guides are there, as a certain Plan, which when followed, would decrease all the instinctual fears that cats would have, with newcomers coming into their territory.
Hi there! We think Tessa is 3. The people we got her from said the people at the vet where they were abandoned were never entirely sure which cat was actually Freya and which cat was actually Tessa. So they *think* Freya was 2 and Tessa was 3. Supposedly same mom, different litters. So she is 2 or 3, but I think she's 3.

Tessa is incredibly social, playful, and energetic. We joke and say she thinks she's a puppy. She looooves being involved in everything we do. That's part of why I feel so badly when she's alone. The kitty I'm looking into is a neutered male, between 2-3, that is supposedly good with other cats and very friendly and playful. My vet said Tessa may do better with a male because oftentimes unrelated females will get into a power struggle. So we were thinking a friendly little guy might be good for Tessa.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a three year old, even if adding a kitten, its best to do -- or at least plan on -- some sort of introduction process. A three year old will usually be able to adapt to and befriend a kitten even with no process (given enough time together) but not always. Since the other cat is another young adult, its even more important, as the chances of problems are a bit higher. Its just like everyone else said, you can see how it goes and adjust, but best to have plans.

I also recommend starting a kitten (or any new cat really) in a safe room for a few days even if there are no other pets. That way, the kitten knows where to hide if its scared. Otherwise, a scared cat can find somewhere bad to hide. Its very rare, but you'd be surprised how many posts we get about cats finding there way into the walls or behind cabinets. Even if they don't find somewhere dangerous per se, they can find somewhere really out of the way to hide that makes it a lot harder to bond with them. Like inside a box spring, which is more common than you'd think. Overall, its another one of those usually fine but why risk it things.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't add much except never know until you try. I have 3 cats,no introductions. All 3 have very different personalities

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! We think Tessa is 3. The people we got her from said the people at the vet where they were abandoned were never entirely sure which cat was actually Freya and which cat was actually Tessa. So they *think* Freya was 2 and Tessa was 3. Supposedly same mom, different litters. So she is 2 or 3, but I think she's 3.
Oh, Tessa is young then, which usually makes it easier in cat intros.
Tessa is incredibly social, playful, and energetic. We joke and say she thinks she's a puppy. She looooves being involved in everything we do. That's part of why I feel so badly when she's alone. The kitty I'm looking into is a neutered male, between 2-3, that is supposedly good with other cats and very friendly and playful. My vet said Tessa may do better with a male because oftentimes unrelated females will get into a power struggle. So we were thinking a friendly little guy might be good for Tessa.
This is where the difficult part comes into play.
Choosing the cat, that you think will have the best personality...with your Resident cat. 🤔

I've found that kittens have the most adaptable qualities, and actually 'grow into their roles'...if the Resident cat is open to, and not fearful of the kitten's high energy levels. :bluepaw:

That being said, younger cats can do well, if the young cat is submissive...to the Resident cat.

This is where it's hard to tell,...beforehand,...unless the 'new cat'...actually lived with other cats, and played well with them, or was raised by someone who knows his personality.
Even then, it does not necessarily mean that the 'new cat' will behave in the 'new home' in similar ways. :dunno:

Your vet is right about 'unrelated females often getting into power struggles'...yet again, I think it happens more so, according to each cat's personality. Will one be dominant, while the other will be a bit more submissive. Two dominants are difficult to get along with each other. They often challenge each other. And if one is too overbearing, then the other one is miserable, and bullied.
(yet they can still manage to live with one another, just sometimes take longer on the cat intros)

With a 3 year old female, I would choose a kitten,...not the most dominant one, or first to do everything,...or if you know for certain, that this neutered male has been around other smaller females, and did not want to wrestle, and listened to the other female's cues, of when to stop...then he might just be the one.

(I have two 7 yr old siblings, both male and female dsh, who get along fairly well, but don't actually like to play with one another.
The female likes running games, and tag,...while the male likes to wrestle, and tumble, and throw his weight around. The male is about 12 lbs, while the female is about 10 lbs...so definitely a size advantage for the male. I still have to use my voice, or walk towards the male, to have them separate, when he gets to being too rowdy with his sister. She, on the other hand, tends to get 'back at him' another day, for 'I have no idea what', but I figure he must have done something to make her swat him.)

That's where it's really difficult to decide on a companion, for our cats.

Take into consideration, the size of your cat...her play styles, the ones she loves doing,...eg. running, chasing...or being chased?
Playing with toy ping pong balls, playing fetch, playing with wand toys,
....Does she like to 'capture and kill' her toys?
Was Tessa always more dominant over Freya, or did they take turns, in leading the playing ?

Having 'puppy like qualities' sounds adorable.
I think that your Tessa will do well with another companion.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, Tessa is young then, which usually makes it easier in cat intros.

This is where the difficult part comes into play.
Choosing the cat, that you think will have the best personality...with your Resident cat. 🤔

I've found that kittens have the most adaptable qualities, and actually 'grow into their roles'...if the Resident cat is open to, and not fearful of the kitten's high energy levels. :bluepaw:

That being said, younger cats can do well, if the young cat is submissive...to the Resident cat.

This is where it's hard to tell,...beforehand,...unless the 'new cat'...actually lived with other cats, and played well with them, or was raised by someone who knows his personality.
Even then, it does not necessarily mean that the 'new cat' will behave in the 'new home' in similar ways. :dunno:

Your vet is right about 'unrelated females often getting into power struggles'...yet again, I think it happens more so, according to each cat's personality. Will one be dominant, while the other will be a bit more submissive. Two dominants are difficult to get along with each other. They often challenge each other. And if one is too overbearing, then the other one is miserable, and bullied.
(yet they can still manage to live with one another, just sometimes take longer on the cat intros)

With a 3 year old female, I would choose a kitten,...not the most dominant one, or first to do everything,...or if you know for certain, that this neutered male has been around other smaller females, and did not want to wrestle, and listened to the other female's cues, of when to stop...then he might just be the one.

(I have two 7 yr old siblings, both male and female dsh, who get along fairly well, but don't actually like to play with one another.
The female likes running games, and tag,...while the male likes to wrestle, and tumble, and throw his weight around. The male is about 12 lbs, while the female is about 10 lbs...so definitely a size advantage for the male. I still have to use my voice, or walk towards the male, to have them separate, when he gets to being too rowdy with his sister. She, on the other hand, tends to get 'back at him' another day, for 'I have no idea what', but I figure he must have done something to make her swat him.)

That's where it's really difficult to decide on a companion, for our cats.

Take into consideration, the size of your cat...her play styles, the ones she loves doing,...eg. running, chasing...or being chased?
Playing with toy ping pong balls, playing fetch, playing with wand toys,
....Does she like to 'capture and kill' her toys?
Was Tessa always more dominant over Freya, or did they take turns, in leading the playing ?

Having 'puppy like qualities' sounds adorable.
I think that your Tessa will do well with another companion.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, this is going to take some thinking. :eek:) I just really want Tessa to be happy and not feel lonely on the days when we are all at work at the same time.

Tessa is small, about 7 pounds, and she loves running and chasing. She LOVES wand toys. Freya was the one who liked to "catch and kill" the toys. I often wonder, if Freya had been healthy, if she would have been more dominant. Tessa usually started the roughhousing, but Freya would put an end to it. Most of the time they seemed to enjoy chasing and wrestling, but when Freya had enough she had enough. The family we got them from said Tessa was fine with all of their other pets, dogs and cats, but that Freya was very aggressive towards their other pets. We don't have other pets, so Freya was sweet as pie for us. I don't know if Freya was aggressive as much as scared. I think Tessa would accept another cat, as long as the new cat was agreeable to Tessa being the boss. Now I just need to figure out how to find a kitty that is willing to let Tessa rule the roost. :eek:)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not something I often see people worry about, but I agree with cat nap cat nap that size is a consideration when you have a small female resident cat and want to introduce another adult cat. Heck, even if you get a kitten, I'd match genders to increase the chance of similar sizes. A big size difference can make introductions harder and, even if cats become friends, it can impact how much they play. My 8 and 12 pound cats are good friends and play every day at least once, usually more. However, the 8 pound cat always always ends the play sessions. And thats normal. (Well, sometimes a much larger cat is fat and lazy, and that can impact things too. But my 12 pounder is lean.)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, this is going to take some thinking. :eek:) I just really want Tessa to be happy and not feel lonely on the days when we are all at work at the same time.

Tessa is small, about 7 pounds, and she loves running and chasing. She LOVES wand toys. Freya was the one who liked to "catch and kill" the toys. I often wonder, if Freya had been healthy, if she would have been more dominant. Tessa usually started the roughhousing, but Freya would put an end to it. Most of the time they seemed to enjoy chasing and wrestling, but when Freya had enough she had enough. The family we got them from said Tessa was fine with all of their other pets, dogs and cats, but that Freya was very aggressive towards their other pets. We don't have other pets, so Freya was sweet as pie for us. I don't know if Freya was aggressive as much as scared. I think Tessa would accept another cat, as long as the new cat was agreeable to Tessa being the boss. Now I just need to figure out how to find a kitty that is willing to let Tessa rule the roost. :eek:)
Yes, this makes a lot of sense, to find another cat, or kitten, that will let your Tessa be the boss. :thumbsup:

If you can get videos, of this young neutered cat, and watch how he plays with other cats, then that might help you decide.
I suppose it depends on where this cat is from, a rescue, humane society, or private home, and if he still has the opportunities to be around other cats, as well.

It's also a difficult decision, since the cats that he may be around, also have all different personalities, but if you could ask the place where you are getting him from,...a list of questions,....and explain to them, that you want to match up your cat's personality, play style, and instincts,...to that of another cat,...then I'm sure they would be okay,... in describing what they think, and see, and also if they know anything about his history, too.
Where he came from, how he acts...and any sorts of things that would be helpful in introducing and matching his personality with another cat, too.

With adult cats, the intros do realistically take longer, anywhere from a month to four months, with the first week being a 'leave the new cat in his safe room', to adjust to the new place and his new humans'.
(I also agree with A ArtNJ ...that even new kittens need to have their 'safe room'...to be able to adjust, and not be scared.

Then doing 'Scent swapping of fabric items'... and site swapping,...where the new cat gets his Scent all over the home, and this helps the Resident, not view the 'new cat' as a stranger.

With adult cats, I think the shortest was about three to four months, (though the first two months do go fast),...and longer ones have been around six to nine, to twelve months. (though with some of these longer ones, it had more to do with aggressive play styles, and sometimes one cat being aggressive to the other, or had more reactive behaviour from one cat, towards the other. More fearful, and territorial.)

That's kind of why I think that getting a kitten will make your cat intros with Tessa go much faster.

But I would still inquire about this potential young neutered cat,..since he may very well be a good match.
Find out about his size, how he likes to play, and if he gets along with other female cats.
Or if he only likes to play with males, in a more rough and tumble way.

It does sound like your Tessa enjoys the wrestling, so who knows, maybe she would prefer a cat who can keep up with her. :biggrin:
(that is so interesting that you had two females, who liked to wrestle.🤔 And Freya was the one who stopped the rough play. :cool2:
So I guess that gender is not as important, as their personalities are.) :think:
(I cannot remember having female cats who wrestled,...only males. That must have been fun to watch, unless they got all loud, and screechy.)

(My female is quite chatty, and also can be a bit loud and dramatic, so maybe it's just that I am used to how my two, both female and male are.) I guess we all have different experiences, and cannot really say, how the future will go.

Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner advised, just have some back-up plans, so even though you may not need all of them, they are still realistically available to fall back on.

Remember, too, that cat intros are more 'a marathon, than a race' with adult cats,...as one other wise member, had said.
Really in the big picture, I know that you feel that it may be too much work, but if you break down the 'Steps and Stages' involved in 'cat intros'...it's not really that much of a hassle...once it becomes a Routine.
'Barrier Gates'...are your 'best tools' in these situations.