Is the lining in Fancy Feast cans safe?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Fancy Feast cans have this white lining inside them. When I scrape out the gravy, sometimes it leaves marks in that white lining, which has me concerned that it is getting scrapped into their food.

The only thing I can find is on Chewy.com which says that the cans are BPA free. But there is no link to their source. And other canned cat food I've purchased doesn't have this lining. I am guessing it is a barrier between the food and the aluminum cans that FF uses, where as the canned cat food that doesn't have the lining is heavier and more likely steel, so no concern of it interacting with the fats in the food as there is with aluminum.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The lining in FF canned food is polypropylene which is a plastic but is BPA free and considered safe for use. When you looked on the Chewy website you probably saw that Purina uses polypropylene in its canned food.

Which Pet Foods have BPA free cans?

This is an independent website that verifies what you saw on Chewy about Purina and also lists other companies who do not use BPA. However, you have to read the entire list if you are interested as some do admit to using BPA and some admit to small amounts in certain foods.

Labeling about BPA is dicey depending on the company. Trader Joe's (don't know if you know who they are) has some BPA free cans, a lot that are not BPA free, and does not usually label either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lining in FF canned food is polypropylene which is a plastic but is BPA free and considered safe for use. When you looked on the Chewy website you probably saw that Purina uses polypropylene in its canned food.

Which Pet Foods have BPA free cans?

This is an independent website that verifies what you saw on Chewy about Purina and also lists other companies who do not use BPA. However, you have to read the entire list if you are interested as some do admit to using BPA and some admit to small amounts in certain foods.

Labeling about BPA is dicey depending on the company. Trader Joe's (don't know if you know who they are) has some BPA free cans, a lot that are not BPA free, and does not usually label either.
Thank you for this!

From that page:
Purina Pet Food
“None of our canned foods contain BPA; we use an FDA approved lining not formulated with BPA…Polypropylene.”

I will email them from the contact provided by LTS3 and see if I get consistent answers or not.

I am guessing that when they reference the "large" cans, they are referring to the cans typically used for dog food and not the 3, 5.5, and 6 oz cans?

(And yes, I do know who Trader Joe's are! :)
If in doubt, contact Fancy Feast / Purina directly and ask.

[/URL][/URL]
Thanks! I will email them and check it for consistency from the link fionasmom provided.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When you talk to Purina, ask they specifically to clarify the "large can" question as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this was their first response:

Purina:
Bisphenol A (BPA) is a basic component of cans. It is often used in cans containing food or beverages, and helps cans to be safer and stronger by preventing corrosion and maintaining quality and flavor. BPA may be used on the interior and exterior of cans but the primary consumer focus has been regarding the inner lining of cans.

That was not clear enough, so I asked them to clarify if it was specifically in the lining.

Purina 2nd response:
We appreciate your email response. We understand the concerns you may have regarding BPA and we can assure you that the linings of our aluminum cans are in compliance with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations and safe for contact with food.

Every supplier of packaging for Purina pet food must meet stringent standards for packaging. As part of our ongoing food safety program, we monitor our packaging to confirm that our packaging complies with all applicable US regulatory requirements.

No idea what the regulatory standards are though..
When you talk to Purina, ask they specifically to clarify the "large can" question as well.
Sorry, I had already sent the email.. :(
If there are "regulatory standards" of some sort, sounds like it would apply to the large cans as well.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
jahzara jahzara
I think the reply just means that BPA is legal so they use it. I prefer for myself and animals to use BPA feee.
Wellness Core by the way is BPA free. I wrote them about 2-3 months ago to check.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. I agree that they talked around the question and are using BPA in cans.

Felinian

Owned by this wonderful cat!
Kitten
Purraise
After reading all the above, I started paying more attention to the lining inside my catfood cans. I wasn't surprised to see a scratched white lining inside Fancy Feast which has artificial flavors (addicting to pets) and meat by-products (which can be some pretty disgusting stuff) - and no mention of BPA on the label. But I was also dismayed to see that even my cat's expensive "healthy" food - I & Love & You (which he eats for a while and then holds out for FF again) - has that white lining, too. I went to my favorite natural foods grocery store and searched their many different brands of "healthy" canned catfoods, many stating "organic"...AND NOT A SINGLE ONE WAS BPA-FREE!

That left me in a state of confused dismay. I can't even find BPA-free in a long-trusted health food store anymore??? And now the latest is that BPA-free often means only that BPA has been replaced by BPS, which is thought to be even worse for health - carcinogenic.

Sorry, I'm "walking doomscroll". Feeling strong Weltschmerz these days (see link below). Seems profit takes precedence over everything else these days. The phone conversation above is a typical example of the exaxperating circumlocution, evasiveness, and "spin" we encounter so much these days - don't hold your breath for open honesty. Total trust is next to impossible and constant vigilance to protect the innocent we love is an exhausting necessity. That's why I'm here. I trust animal lovers - we're used to little beings who aren't very good at obfuscation.
:grouphug:
Felinian

https://thecatsite.com/threads/senior-cat-male-neutered-18-years.458352/#post-5707158