Is The Cat You Have The One You Expected?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I never planned for a cat in the house. They just showed up at my doorstep. So I had nothing expected in mind. :)

Now I love them all, but one of them has really reached into the depths of my soul. I don't know how I would be without my Bourbon.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Dec 2005, the family of a cat we had bonded with in the neighborhood moved. I was broken hearted and began looking at the web sites of the shelters / rescues in the area and filled out a couple applications. One of them called us on a Saturday and wanted us to come out and look at their cats. It was getting late in the day and the rescue was about an hour away. Husband didn't want to go, but the adoption counselor got him on the phone and talked him into it. We went to window shop with no intention of adopting cats that day. I really just wanted to play with some cats, truthfully. We were actually looking for a bonded pair, but the ones they had that didn't click with us. We were walking around the room looking at the cats in their cages and not really being drawn to any of them. Then, out of the corner of my eye while she was showing us one cat, I saw this little black and white guy climbing up the side of his cage trying to get our attention. I said, what about that one? We went into the play room with him, and it was just love at first sight. Hubby and I just looked at each other, and hubby said, we're taking him aren't we?

But we still wanted a second cat, and didn't want to wait. It was getting late, they closed at 5 (although I doubt they would have thrown us out), and I was frantically running around looking at all the cats and not being drawn to any of them. The counselor said "what about Cynthia?" I had overlooked her because she was sleeping in her bed in the back of the cage and I didn't really see her. She was a very pretty dilute calico. We brought her into the play room and she was so sweet and loved being petting, kneading her little paws. Definitely different from high energy Swanie. I said, maybe it would be good to have two with different personalities. Pretty much before we knew it, both cats were in carriers (we bought one and borrowed one) and we were on our way home with two cats in the backseat. (Counselor said they were not going to let us out of there without a couple cats).

That was the best decision we ever made. Swanie and Cindy grew to be great friends, Cindy was like a little mother to Swanie (who was really younger than we though, just a big kitty in general), taught him how to jump, advocated him if we had to give him medicine or something. And Swanie taught Cindy how to play. She was so scared, not of us, just in general, but she loved being petted, and eventually she realized she was safe with us, and I doubt we will ever find a sweeter cat than her. She used to watch Swanie play, and one day she reached out and batted the toy. I was so excited! Cindy was hubby's soul mate as Swanie was mine, we miss them both so much.

Other cats we've gotten since then we have actively been looking for a cat, although sometimes the personality becomes a surprise once they get comfy in your home.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teddy wasn't. I was originally planning to adopt Finny and his twin brother, Bruce, (I even posted a picture of them both on here before). But every time I went on the pet finder site to look at their pictures, my eyes were always drawn to Teddy, even though his description never caught my attention. There was just something about him. I asked about him twice but didn't get much info.

I decided to just go to the foster home and meet all the kittens. By then I now had my eyes on Teddy and Finny since the foster mom said they were close while Bruce was a loner. I was also interested in a brother and sister, Ruthie and Jimmy.

Ruthie ran the moment she was brought in and Jimmy never showed. Bruce was also pre adopted.

Teddy, however, never left my side the whole visit. He laid on my lap, on my purse, behind me on the couch.

He is now my little buddy and he seems to favor me over my mom while Finny prefers her.

He wasn't the cat I planned to adopt, but I'm so glad I did.

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year my old boy Elliot died of a stroke, and six months later I adopted Poki who is my avatar pic. This July my old girl Aerowyn had to be put to sleep for oral cancer, and since I had already experienced pet loss I knew I was okay with adopting right away. The reason I wanted another cat was more for Poki, she was/is still quite fearful and her and Aerowyn avoided each other (Aerowyn would have been happy to be a solo cat, lol, but I got Poki for me.) So I went to petco and they have cats from a rescue that isn't our local humane society, and holy biscuits they had the most beautiful looking cat, this is the dude.. the blue eyed guy.

It had only been a week since Aerowyn was gone but I knew a cat looking like this would get snatched up instantly so I filled out an application, but I had originally come to see a cat who was posted on their website so knowing the chances I also put down his name.

Well I kinda had the feeling since I was willing to adopt the more 'common' looking cat that they looked for someone else for blue eyes, but the woman said one person got their app in before me.... oh well.

I take creamsicle home and it took ONE WEEK for him to get along with Poki compared to the careful 4 months I took with the previous intro. He ha absolutely the best kitty manners, is submissive to her even though he is 1.5 times as big, but also is not scared off by her growlyness. They run around and play, he never uses his claws, but he bugs his 'big sister' a lot which she likes/hates/accepts. I have had him a month now and he's great for me too, very playful and cuddly, gives face rubs, loves his belly and paws touched etc. He has really mellowed out Poki more (I suspect abuse in her last home and she is front declawed so she was very bite in the first few months but is much better now)

She is nine this year and he is 2 yes old. I called him Chai at first because the pretty cat was named Latte and yeah I was rather disappointed but now I call him Kaiyo or Kai because I don't like saying the 'ch' noise so much, it sounds scolding.

Kaiyo also has a weird long face and apparently came from a crowded shelter in Chicago. Also he farts. 60588636_2492287710784107_8032882015223152640_o.jpg 60588636_2492287710784107_8032882015223152640_o.jpg 20190825_221059.jpg

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year my old boy Elliot died of a stroke, and six months later I adopted Poki who is my avatar pic. This July my old girl Aerowyn had to be put to sleep for oral cancer, and since I had already experienced pet loss I knew I was okay with adopting right away. The reason I wanted another cat was more for Poki, she was/is still quite fearful and her and Aerowyn avoided each other (Aerowyn would have been happy to be a solo cat, lol, but I got Poki for me.) So I went to petco and they have cats from a rescue that isn't our local humane society, and holy biscuits they had the most beautiful looking cat, this is the dude.. the blue eyed guy.

It had only been a week since Aerowyn was gone but I knew a cat looking like this would get snatched up instantly so I filled out an application, but I had originally come to see a cat who was posted on their website so knowing the chances I also put down his name.

Well I kinda had the feeling since I was willing to adopt the more 'common' looking cat that they looked for someone else for blue eyes, but the woman said one person got their app in before me.... oh well.

I take creamsicle home and it took ONE WEEK for him to get along with Poki compared to the careful 4 months I took with the previous intro. He ha absolutely the best kitty manners, is submissive to her even though he is 1.5 times as big, but also is not scared off by her growlyness. They run around and play, he never uses his claws, but he bugs his 'big sister' a lot which she likes/hates/accepts. I have had him a month now and he's great for me too, very playful and cuddly, gives face rubs, loves his belly and paws touched etc. He has really mellowed out Poki more (I suspect abuse in her last home and she is front declawed so she was very bite in the first few months but is much better now)

She is nine this year and he is 2 yes old. I called him Chai at first because the pretty cat was named Latte and yeah I was rather disappointed but now I call him Kaiyo or Kai because I don't like saying the 'ch' noise so much, it sounds scolding.

Kaiyo also has a weird long face and apparently came from a crowded shelter in Chicago. Also he farts. View attachment 299435

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Kaiyo also has a weird long face and apparently came from a crowded shelter in Chicago. Also he farts. View attachment 299435
60360059_2492287684117443_5118655359522701312_o.jpg

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why has my Internet triple posted when it told me twice there were errors... v_v

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was ment to be getting 2 brother's but the owners decided to keep the black one. So I picked Tik(RIP)two weeks before Patches was ready. He was not what I expected more dog than cat and a big personality he bonded with my hubby immediately and ruled the house. When Patches came into the house I had never seen such a timid kitten and when he did come round he was my cat with the sweetest personality I have ever seen in a cat I wouldn't swap him for the world.