Is Smurgling a bad sign?

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI Everyone
I've had Patty for about a week..before that she was the cat at my job..I've known her for a long time and love her very much
Since I'm new to having a cat I've been trying to read up on their behaviors ect. One thing that I was wondering was if her smurgling is ok or a bad sign? Doesn't really bother me. She does it once in a while usually as shes being pet and will start purring and start sucking on a blanket while kneading with her paws. Anyone else's cat do this? Any input or advice greatly appreciated..Take Care

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smurgling?

A lot of cats will suckle and knead while being loved.
It's mostly a comfort thing and no harm as long as she's doing it to a blanket or other fabric.
Sometimes it is a sign that a cat was seperated from their mom too early, but I have cats that stayed with their momma till 12 weeks that do it, and one that's 7 months old that does it, and I own her momma too.
Just take it as a compliment, she loves you and is comfortable with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh ok..thanks
I was just worried that maybe she needed to do that in order to feel comfortable and was feeling unsafe in some way or something..lol ok...glad to know its a good sign
I used the word "smurgling" b/c thats what the websites Ive looked on call it..lol thanks for the quick reply..really appreciate it

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
really? u think so?

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kitty Geisha is now 1 year and 2 months old, and she still nurses on blankets, sweaters I have laying around, and always on our t-shirts or pants when she's sitting on either my lap or my husband's lap. We got her from the animal control when she was 9 wks. old. The nursing does get to be a little annoying for me, to be honest, because she always leaves several huge wet spots on me!
And I will often wake up in the middle of the night to find her sitting on my chest nursing on my collar! Ugh.
But we love her anyway, even with all her quirks!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is Smurgling??
Smurgling is the ultimate display of kitty affection and love.
Smurgling involves three aspects of kitty behavior:
kneading
nuzzling
salivating

Do all Kittys smurgle??
No, not all kittys smurgle. Some cats are diehard smurglers. Others could care less.Most Siamese are smurgglers.

Are there degrees of smurgling?
Yes!
The following "Cat Codes" describe smurgling levels displayed by cats.
S = "I wouldn't be caught doing it!"
S+ = "I sneak an occasional smurgle."
S++ = "When I'm in the mood, I can smurgle with the best of them."
S+++ = "Everybody leaves my house moistened with kitty-drool."
The first step in successful smurgling is to catch your human in the correct position. The preferred position for your human is to be lying down, either on the couch or in bed. However, if you can only get to your human when they are in a sitting position, that will do too.
Position yourself on top of your chosen human target. If your target is sitting, place yourself in their lap. Pick the area you want to smurgle. I prefer to smurgle the facial area. If that does not appeal to you, you could choose the arm or neck area.
Start off by kneading the chosen area. Be careful not to knead too hard. Purr very loudly to show how contented you are.
Next, start nuzzling the area you want to smurgle very gently. As you nuzzle, start salivating. Be sure you drool copiously! Your chosen target area should be throughly wet with kitty drool.
If the human takes exception to the smurgling, stop for a little while and wait until the human has calmed down. After the human has calmed down, slowly re-commence the smurgling.
Persistence is the key to successful smurgling!!

My Persian is the biggest smurggler there is he does it daily!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

What is Smurgling??
Smurgling is the ultimate display of kitty affection and love.
Smurgling involves three aspects of kitty behavior:
kneading
nuzzling
salivating

Do all Kittys smurgle??
No, not all kittys smurgle. Some cats are diehard smurglers. Others could care less.Most Siamese are smurgglers.

Yes!
The first step in successful smurgling is to catch your human in the correct position. The preferred position for your human is to be lying down, either on the couch or in bed. However, if you can only get to your human when they are in a sitting position, that will do too.
Position yourself on top of your chosen human target. If your target is sitting, place yourself in their lap. Pick the area you want to smurgle. I prefer to smurgle the facial area. If that does not appeal to you, you could choose the arm or neck area.
Start off by kneading the chosen area. Be careful not to knead too hard. Purr very loudly to show how contented you are.
Next, start nuzzling the area you want to smurgle very gently. As you nuzzle, start salivating. Be sure you drool copiously! Your chosen target area should be throughly wet with kitty drool.
If the human takes exception to the smurgling, stop for a little while and wait until the human has calmed down. After the human has calmed down, slowly re-commence the smurgling.
Persistence is the key to successful smurgling!!
that is hilarious!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Scarlett is a 4 year old Smurgler rated an S++++. Yes, notice the extra + on that rating. She lives to lay on your lap and smurgle your t-shirt. Some cats just love to do that.

Great word, smurgle. Never heard it referred by that before!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cat that loved to knead and purr!!! Luckily for me I didn't get the drooling to go with it!!! But she would occasionally claw me whilst kneading. Ouch!!

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat (RIP) used to do the same thing and she did it up untill she died at 16 years old. It was our time when I watched TV in the evenings and she loved it. My cats now love to be cuddled and purred but dont smurgle.

katgrl81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone for all your wonderful advice and input
I'm really glad I found this site
You all are great and very helpful
I'm happy to know that smurgling is a good sign
I love that kitty..shes a good girl..a bit mischievous with scratching on the furniture..but I hope she learns thats a no-no...gonna get her a scratch-post tomorrow
Thanks again all

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had not heard this kitty behavior call smurgling before. I love it.

Dexter is an S++ smurglier. When he gets going, his eyes glaze over, he kneads & drools & regresses back into his kitten-hood.

Sadie is S+. She is a typical female who needs warming up before she smurgles.

Originally Posted by gardenandcats

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"smurgling" that's a new one to me too! I like it!
Pushkin's a big smurgler, and I love our cuddle times together. It shows he really loves me!

gypsyjen08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This feed has been very helpful! I'm glad to know smurgling is a good thing. My kitten, Scout, loves my fuzzy blankets/pillows and as soon we lay down (furry side out) she goes to town!! She's actually doing it right now. I think she's and S+++ because she can go for hours, she does it several times a day and she can fall asleep with the blanket or pillow in her mouth, then wakes up and starts all over again! Seriously cute! I was very concerned when she first started since I'm new to the whole cat thing because I grew up with a dog. I did try to limit the behavior when I first saw her do it, I figured she just hadn't been weaned properly and I thought she might be swallowing some of the fuzz from the blanket. I got her from the humane society and it's very very likely that someone just dropped the whole litter off after they were born!! Very sad. She may have hardly known her momma, but I'm flattered that she thinks me and my boyfriend are her surrogate parents! 

Anyways, my question is: do they also smurgle to calm themselves, besides just showing content? Normally Scout starts when we pet her or cuddle her on the couch. But I'm worried that she might do it out of stress when we are not home. I am contimplating adopting another kitten around her age for a playmate, but I don't know if I can afford two. I'm in college, which is part of the reason why I can't be home during the day, but either my boyfriend or one of our roommates is usually home. I'd rather take really, really awesome care of one cat, then spread my very limited resources between them. Just wondering if you all think she really needs a playmate or if she'll be okay on her own. Thanks for any advice. 

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I wish my cats smurgled, what a great word!!

My baby Turtle doesn't smurgle, but she DOES knead me half to death. She loves to lie on her side, against my stomach and chest, and knead only on my neck (I am VERY aware when she needs her claws clipped - I look like I've been attacked by a wolverine!). She will rest her head on my chest and her eyes are half closed. She looks at me like I am the best thing since catnip and purrs her little head off.

She also MUST sleep under the covers with me (she pats at the covers relentlessly until I lift them up for her). She will lie facing me to knead my neck while she's under the covers. Sometimes she will roll onto her other side when she's done and I can spoon her to sleep.

Have I mentioned how much I love that cat? ;-)

thing1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we had a male Siamese cat adopt us recently and we smurgles.  Last night he was doing this on the blanket on my bed and when I tried to get near him he kinda yelled nasty and jumped at me.  Is this common?  I went and bought him his own bed in hopes he will smurgle with the material in there as it is just like the blanket.  We do not let him in over night yet as we are still learning him and need to get him fixed

Thank you!

Shelley

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new cat!
 Smurgling (I love this word) is fairly common. Especially if the cat was away from his mother at an early age. I would bring him in at night, especially if he is not fixed. He is much more likely to get in fights with males and breed with every female he can find! The best way to bond with him is to have him in with you.