Is Smokey a Chausie?

Grace726

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat came in our backyard 2 years ago. He is very friendly, was about a year and a half old. He looks like pics of a Chausie/Abyssinian.He has large ears with small hair tufts at the tips. His back is silvery gray grizzled with narrow dark stripes on chest and legs, and a long striped tail. Last year he had to have surgery for hip dysplasia. He is very active, likes to jump up on cupboards, fridge and cat trees. He’s friendly with all people, even strangers, and our other 2 adult cats.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very pretty domestic short hair, blue ticked tabby. Ticked, because I dont see any pattern on his backside / body. And blue is because its what we call grey cats. Diluted black if you so wish.

ps... The white spot no the chin isnt no true white spot gene, its common with tabbies. Almost as common as the renown M.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grace726

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is very handsome but he most likely is a domestic shorthair rather than a Chausie/Abyssinian. Both those purebreds are expensive and not likely to be found as a stray.
Here are some pics of Smokey’s back and sides. Doesn’t look like DSH. Some purebreds have gotten out and ended up in rescues. Smokey was in a rescue when his previous owner adopted him. She couldn’t handle him so she gave him to her parents who live 3 houses from me. Then he got out and jumped fences to land in my backyard. When I contacted her, she asked if I would like to keep him.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some pics of Smokey’s back and sides. Doesn’t look like DSH. Some purebreds have gotten out and ended up in rescues. Smokey was in a rescue when his previous owner adopted him. She couldn’t handle him so she gave him to her parents who live 3 houses from me. Then he got out and jumped fences to land in my backyard. When I contacted her, she asked if I would like to keep him.
I know people like to think they found something "special" but this just doesn't hold up looking at the amount of people who think they just happened upon a purebreed cat in a rescue or shelter.

Purebreed cats make up only about 4% of ALL cats all over the world. There are only about 100 or so breeds of cats. Not every place has a breeder breeding any specific breed. Breeders are super careful about keeping their breeding cats safe and confined. They are not out randomly breeding with street cats. Most, now also spay/neuter before sending home pet quality kittens. Or, they require people to fix them by a certain age. Not doing so breaks the contract. Let alone most people that spent thousands for a cat are not going to risk it getting loose either. It doesn't help that shelters and rescues use breed names for cats that happen to look like a breed. Breeds are derived from domestic cats so any quality you see in them can be found in a domestic cat, since they came first. Last, even if there's an ancestor that "may" be purebreed" that gets diluted out so fast that within a couple of generations, you can't tell at all what's in the cat.

Now take into consideration how many posts are made saying they think they have a purebreed cat when it clearly isn't, and you can begin to see how near impossible it is. I hope.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Google image search for things that like are super unreliable, it's going to bring up any and all ticked cats. Yours doesn't resemble an Aby or Chausie in really any way much less a cross which would be unidentifiable as anything in particular. Those are also incredibly rare expensive breeds highly unlikely to be found unfixed and loose. I follow a couple purebred cat rescues and most of their actual purebreds come straight from homes unable to keep them, the rest are domestics that resemble popular breeds like pointed cats. I'm not sure why you think he isn't a domestic.