Is she pregnant or just fat?

Amy90rd0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is supposed to be getting spayed on the 6th but I think my male cat got her pregnant before his neuter which was on March 7th. At first I thought she was just fat but now I'm thinking she's pregnant. It's a shame if she is. The vet said to wait until she's 6 months to get spayed but I think it is too late. Wdyt?

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep she looks pregnant, speak to your vet about getting her spayed ASAP once the kittens are born. A neighbour of mine got his to females done when the kittens where still feeding off mama's. The vet did the incision on there side not belly. I can't tell you how old the kittens were but the vet will be able to advise on how quickly they can do it. She does look to far along to do anything now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can keep her inside only, it’s best to spay when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep the appointment and ask for xrays. If she's not too far along you can still get her spayed. A male can still have sperm 4-8 weeks after the neuter so it's possible it could have happened later. I hate that vets still refuse to spay kittens younger than 6 months old. At 4 months old they can go into heat, there are zero reasons to make anyone wait until 6 months old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the vet say how many kittens and give an approximate due date?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Four would be ideal. My vet said 4 a few years ago when I took in a pregnant stray and had her X-rayed. He also said they would come in the next 10 days. They came 12 days later - all 4.

So know it’s a “guess-estimate” and it could be 4 or 5, and know also that it could be a few days sooner or later. The vet looks at bone development on the X-ray. It gives an estimate. Either way, it’s soon! Be patient and be prepared!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If the father lives in the same house, separate him from the mom and babies so that he doesn't accidentally hurt them. Newborns are very fragile and mom can be very protective. Also very shortly after birth the female can get pregnant again so unless you have a flank spay done you will need to be extra sure you keep her away from any males. Repetitive litters increases the risk of complications.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amy90rd0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Einstein was neutered in March. He's the only male. We plan to keep Veruca and the kittens in our room for a while and she won't be going outside until she's spayed. The last thing we wanted was more kittens in the world. I rescued both of them from the humane society so there would be 2 less homeless cats in the world and now she's pregnant. 😥