Is she dying?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is sneezing. It looks like she has a really bad upper respiratory infection and needs a veterinarian for antibiotics and fluids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. It just looked odd and I was really hoping it had nothing to do with the cat food. I'll contact a vet ASAP

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was my thought, as well. PLEASE be sure to let us know how she is doing!

VOXLEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not dying, especially if still eating and drinking. Our favorite vet won us over in the early years after we got a shelter kitty with a uri, and besides the antibiotics meds , he also gave the following information:

Generally, cats are enticed to eat by the aroma of a food, so a cat that is having issues with respiratory infections and stuffy nose might not be as interested in eating because they cannot smell their food. To help a sniffly kitty eat, try heating wet food in the microwave for about 15 seconds to augment the aroma. If that fails, you can try decongesting the kitty via a steam treatment - bring them in the bathroom while you take a hot shower, or keep the room with a humidifier. If that does not work, he even suggested to try infant nose drops, administered as you would to a baby (neo-synephrine was his specific brand mention) . Lastly, failing all other methods of encouraging them to eat aon their own, he said force feed it via eye-dropper . This might not be the best for an older animal, but a kitten, perhaps could be saved that otherwise would die from not having eaten.

Our next cat had a particularly bad uri that took a lot longer to clear up, so we supplemented the regular meds with a casule of l-lysine added to food, along with a few drops of colloidal silver in the decongestant drops and water bowl, and added some cider vinegar to the steam baths which also seemed to help quite a lot, as he was most comfortable following those sessions in his kitty "yurt" we made with a blanket over his carrier to guide the steam. Finally he got through it , but it was concerning for a bit how snotty the poor thing was.and we couldn't figure out how you could get a kitten to blow its nose...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t returned but she has no problems with appetite. She comes to food bowl 20 times a day, takes 3 bites and leaves before Treasure sees her. She’s worked out a system around the guard cat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to find someone to bring me a trap during this pandemic is not feasible. And no vet will take Shadow unless they specialize in feral cats. However I did notice a huge hairball this morning in the area she was at on the video and she came to eat a couple of times already with no issues, no "sneezing" or whatever. In fact she came a couple of times during the night with no problems.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you order one on Amazon maybe? I don't think sneezing like that is much related to a hairball.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the sneezing doesn't return, we're good to go. If it does, Amazon carries traps, IF you can find a vet to look at her.