Is she a Siberian x Norwegian Forest cat?

Biencutechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I’m glad to have discovered this community and after reading quite a few posts here’s my first one.

I have two cats: one being a moggie and the other one is mixed breed girl - allegedly Siberian and Norwegian Forest mix. She’s turning 2 years old this summer. I wasn’t looking for a pedigree cat in the first place so I’m well aware that she isn’t any sort of. Although I was informed that her parents were Siberian and Norwegian Forest respectively, I’ve always been skeptical about either of them being anywhere close to a full Siberian/Norwegian Forest cat (considering the price I paid and the fact that she wasn’t from a certified breeder etc). *Please don’t judge me - I was extremely unlikely to qualify for adoption as a foreign student so buying was my only option at the time*

I’m still, very grateful to have had this little monster in my life ever since she came at around 10 weeks old. She has received lots of compliments and was once even selected to model for a reputable cat food brand.

The one thing worths mentioning is that she was one of the tiniest of the litter. I expected her to grow bigger as both Siberian and Norwegian Forest cats are big cats however she is still rather small as an adult cat (usually weighs in between 2.7-3kg). My other 2 year old cat is a male DSH who weighs more than 6kg (yeah he’s kinda chonky) so I believe her size is resulted from genetics.

To me she does resemble a Siberian/Norwegian Forest cat in quite many ways such as her very big fluffy tail and that her mane typically “thrives” (I’m not sure if that makes sense) during the winter months - making her beauty stand out more! But again her small size isn’t something you usually associate Siberian/Norwegian Forest cats with.

Please excuse the inconsistent lighting in the photos. I fully understand that you cannot just assign a breed to any cats if they don’t come with papers - which is the exact case of my cat. But I would really like to know how Siberian and how Norwegian she might be, if applicable at all.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Thanks in advance.

C2F98808-3CED-4A55-9BBB-6BFA8E99E0F7.jpeg
E83024FE-E5F5-4237-9E6E-8F3723C534FB.png
2570E6EA-F2DF-4D66-824C-C176C62D9435.jpeg
A5812E50-6035-4AF2-9634-4EDA47813D46.jpeg

C2F98808-3CED-4A55-9BBB-6BFA8E99E0F7.jpeg
E83024FE-E5F5-4237-9E6E-8F3723C534FB.png
2570E6EA-F2DF-4D66-824C-C176C62D9435.jpeg
A5812E50-6035-4AF2-9634-4EDA47813D46.jpeg

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a beauty! What is her name?

I have my doubts about either of the breeds. Some of the dominant features of both Siberians and NFCs are their coat type and density, which you can't tell from pictures. The head & muzzle shape and ear set is not right for either of the breeds.

Even if the parents were truly the breeds you were told she would still be considered a Domestic Longhair.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a domestic long hair to me. A lot of people lie or honestly dont understand cat breeding (most cats have very little breeds in them).

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a very beautiful girl- look at that angelic face! :) Thank you for providing her with an excellent home.

By mixing those two breeds you are not going to get a complete replica of either one of them.
She has the tail and the coat, but without seeing the papers on her parents it would be impossible to know if she has Siberian or Norwegian Forrest cat in her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Biencutechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a very beautiful girl- look at that angelic face! :) Thank you for providing her with an excellent home.

By mixing those two breeds you are not going to get a complete replica of either one of them.
She has the tail and the coat, but without seeing the papers on her parents it would be impossible to know if she has Siberian or Norwegian Forrest cat in her.
Thank you for your kind words! 🥰 Sorry that I’ve not been able to reply quicker. Of course I will love her as much no matter what she is. Just always been curious to know how close she is to the origin her breeder claimed she was of. Again it’s her unique character that matters the most in my eyes!

Biencutechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a domestic long hair to me. A lot of people lie or honestly dont understand cat breeding (most cats have very little breeds in them).
Yeah I see! To me the how pure the breed is does not come across as a priority as I’ll always love my baby the same way. Thank you for your reply.

Biencutechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty! What is her name?

I have my doubts about either of the breeds. Some of the dominant features of both Siberians and NFCs are their coat type and density, which you can't tell from pictures. The head & muzzle shape and ear set is not right for either of the breeds.

Even if the parents were truly the breeds you were told she would still be considered a Domestic Shorthair.
I completely understand. Thank you for your reply and compliment! 🥰

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looks amazing against the city skyline 😍