Is she a ragdoll or himalayan?

xiatchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend adopted a cat and seems like a ragdoll not a himalayan cat. Can you help please. Thank you

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most likely, neither.

First, the coloring is what is called seal point with white or bicolor seal point. Bicolor being a lot of white and with white being less white, they are similar. Point being the colorpoint genetics originally found in Siamese (originating in Siam modern day Thailand). Colorpoint is a recessive gene that gives the cat the blue eyes and heat sensitive darkening at their extremities or points. Colorpoint cats will change color with age and darken as they get older. Seal being what you get when a genetically black cat has the colorpoint gene giving them that dark classic coloring.

Himalayan is a derivative of Persian and pointed genetics. They tend to have the flatter face and long coats of Persians but with pointed coloring. This cat is not flat faced and that is a typical dead give away of recent Persian or Himalayan ancestors.

Ragdoll is a fluffy bicolor Pointed breed that originated in the last 40 years. However, they tend to be rounder in features.

Honestly, this lovely cat is most likely a moggy (cat of mixed ancestry) like most cats in the world. A lovely domestic longhair (breed) bicolor seal point (color and coat pattern). If I was to guess a close breed lookalike it would actually be Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat with those ears and face shape. But neither come in colorpoint so it isn't those breeds either, just a happy little gorgeous mix.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend adopted a cat and seems like a ragdoll not a himalayan cat. Can you help please. Thank you
Aww she is gorgeous, she def looks like a ragdoll, prolly has some ancestry but not pb and would be called a dlh sealpoint bicolor. Keep in mind the ragdoll breed was started from non-purebred cats Josephine, a feral domestic longhair cat who was all white and Angora like was bred by Anne Baker with Himalayan like cats or Burmese like cats- that’s how they got the points. There were some solid rag dolls in the beginning also and some people still breed and register them although they are not accepted by many of the rag doll breeders and cat associations.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, a somewhat look alike a ragdoll bicolor, not a Himalayan. (ie a pointed persian)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her face does look a bit Maine coon too in some of your pics so maybe some fc ancestry too, see pics for comparison 😀 Don’t quote me on this but some people seem to have bred Maine coons and rag dolls- called a ragcoon I think, I’m sure it was prolly not done officially if true.

C618228A-D53B-48EF-991C-3E3844358D69.png
F15B8761-B695-4741-B854-990FB86B8259.png

B9E7601F-A75D-4D7F-A2EC-DF24682AFA8A.png

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
X xiatchie
She has an interesting look.
More Maine Coon in the face but Ragdoll type coloring. Most modern day Persians are bred to be very squIshed in the face, so likely not a recent mix with Persian unless combined with a strong faced cat like Maine Coon.

Her coloring can come about from random matings if parents carry color point.

She looks like a big cat as well, so I would not be surprised if one or more of the larger breeds in her.

As dog mixes are popular at the moment - I would not be surprised if people are breeding cats as Meowmee Meowmee said, possibly mixing Ragdoll and Maine Coon,
That said, her coloring can come about in a random mating and does not have to be specifically bred but she does have strong features.
Beautiful cat whatever her origins.