Is Runny Nose In Cat Dangerous ?

quasar88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was walking by the sea and saw a cat who was sick. I realized that he/she has runny nose.

Is this symptom is dangerous or temporary healt issue? I wanted to take this kitty vet but I did not have a cat carrier and enough money, because I am a student now. :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: I watched the video and did not see the signs of dire distress such as the third eyelid; yellow or green nasal/optic discharge; mouth breathing; panting or mouth breathing. The kitty does look thin, though. I recommend dietary support and close monitoring. Adding fresh, raw goat milk (and colostrum if you can find it - farmers often freeze it just in case of bummer kids and lambs), yogurt (for probiotics or acidophilus capsules - sprinkle 1/2 capsule onto food) and L-lysine might help kitty recover nicely. Kitty might be allergic to seafood such as fish - a common allergy although for some weird reason they tend to love the taste. Feeding pork or rabbit or goat meat (cooked or boiled without garlic or onion) can help. You can try adding cold-pressed coconut oil to the food as coconut oil can sometimes help against certain parasites and infections.
Bless you for caring about that kitty - we need more people like you in this world.
Please keep us updated :rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quasar88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Will you be able to bring this cat food or water in the future?
Don't worry. A lot of people, especially old women, walk in the streets with food and give them food and water. I put food as you can see in this video but this kitty was not hungry.

:wave3: I watched the video and did not see the signs of dire distress such as the third eyelid; yellow or green nasal/optic discharge; mouth breathing; panting or mouth breathing. The kitty does look thin, though. I recommend dietary support and close monitoring. Adding fresh, raw goat milk (and colostrum if you can find it - farmers often freeze it just in case of bummer kids and lambs), yogurt (for probiotics or acidophilus capsules - sprinkle 1/2 capsule onto food) and L-lysine might help kitty recover nicely. Kitty might be allergic to seafood such as fish - a common allergy although for some weird reason they tend to love the taste. Feeding pork or rabbit or goat meat (cooked or boiled without garlic or onion) can help. You can try adding cold-pressed coconut oil to the food as coconut oil can sometimes help against certain parasites and infections.
Bless you for caring about that kitty - we need more people like you in this world.
Please keep us updated :rock:
Thank you so much. I know probiotics improve immune system. I will follow this beautiful cat regularly.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched the video and did not see the signs of dire distress such as the third eyelid; yellow or green nasal/optic discharge; mouth breathing; panting or mouth breathing.....
Well, there's no dire distress........but....

Go full screen and watch the video carefully from the 2:00 point, the cat is open mouth breathing, licking its nose, coughing/sneezing...........so, clearly not entirely well.

While it is not showing signs of severe illness, perhaps it's early stage disease, perhaps 'simply' a herpes flareup. Without a Vet's diagnosis, no one can tell how serious this may be.

Q quasar88 - a few things:
  • cats will not eat if they can not smell food
  • you should be careful with cats like this - after you are with them, wash your hands - you can easily spread an influenza virus to other cats from your hands, your clothing, a food container etc., if you are meeting other cats after contacting a sick one. These street cats are not vaccinated/immunized, so they are at risk from transmission like this.
Herpesvirus is common and mostly fairly benign....other feline virus infections can result in death.

Please be careful with sick cats - you may enjoy their company......but, it could come with dire consequences. If you cannot take them for Veterinary care, best to leave them alone.

Google exactly this: "cat rescue in (your city/town)". There may be local organizations that could help you with a sick cat.

So, "Is Runny Nose in Cats Dangerous?"........yes, potentially dangerous, sometimes very dangerous to other cats, (but not to you).
[edit for format only]

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that OP is unable to afford a carrier or vet visits - the same common problems that keep people from helping sick/injured strays & ferals here in the USA. However, in some states and the coastal areas, there are resources such as rescue groups and well-funded animal control to whom a concerned citizen can turn. I don't know what is available in Istanbul, Turkey. Perhaps the OP, Q quasar88 , can provide some input. It's a shame to not try to help a cat; for a truly sick street cat, Death comes as a friend but that friend can linger far too long.

quasar88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, there's no dire distress........but....

Go full screen and watch the video carefully from the 2:00 point, the cat is open mouth breathing, licking its nose, coughing/sneezing...........so, clearly not entirely well.

While it is not showing signs of severe illness, perhaps it's early stage disease, perhaps 'simply' a herpes flareup. Without a Vet's diagnosis, no one can tell how serious this may be.

Q quasar88 - a few things:
  • cats will not eat if they can not smell food
  • you should be careful with cats like this - after you are with them, wash your hands - you can easily spread an influenza virus to other cats from your hands, your clothing, a food container etc., if you are meeting other cats after contacting a sick one. These street cats are not vaccinated/immunized, so they are at risk from transmission like this.
Herpesvirus is common and mostly fairly benign....other feline virus infections can result in death.

Please be careful with sick cats - you may enjoy their company......but, it could come with dire consequences. If you cannot take them for Veterinary care, best to leave them alone.

Google exactly this: "cat rescue in (your city/town)". There may be local organizations that could help you with a sick cat.

So, "Is Runny Nose in Cats Dangerous?"........yes, potentially dangerous, sometimes very dangerous to other cats, (but not to you).
[edit for format only]
Thanks for your advice. I will be careful about this problem.

quasar88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Q quasar88 Can you access L-lysine and acidophilus capsules or plain, full fat yogurt? They may help the kitty's immune system to suppress whatever is causing the runny nose.
Yes I can get these supplements. Should the probiotic supplement be for cat? These probiotic supplements are also available for humans and I wonder it is suitable for cats?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, the supplements are for the cat. I am not allowed to give veterinary advice for your cat - you would need to ask a local veterinarian who will have knowledge of the diseases and health issues specific to your area. Here in California, my vet has me give 250mg per day of L-lysine for sick kittens and up to 500 mg per day for adult cats; when my vet is out of FortiFlora for sale or I am out of Benebac Plus, she has me feed them acidophilus capsules from RiteAid.
If you could feed good quality raw goat milk, that might help as well. Also colostrum if the farmer has some frozen.
You are awesome to care so much for a street cat :cheerleader::heartshape::rock:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't this Istanbul? If so, you can take to the municipality's own vet clinic it's free for stray cats. Some private vet clinics also make discount for strays or treat them free of charge if it's a simple treatment. I would use the second option as the municipality's clinic is usually crowded.

quasar88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isn't this Istanbul? If so, you can take to the municipality's own vet clinic it's free for stray cats. Some private vet clinics also make discount for strays or treat them free of charge if it's a simple treatment. I would use the second option as the municipality's clinic is usually crowded.
Yes it is istanbul, kadikoy. I did not know municipality's own vet clinic. Thank you for information :)