Is rubbing and head butting an adult behavior?

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

As you know, my wife and adopted a pair of 8 weeks old siblings a month ago, a female (Coco) and a male (Kylo). They are very sweet and I think pretty happy as well. Being our first cats ever, I wonder if they should rubbing their heads and bodies against us, against objects, walls... They don't exhibit this behavior at all, and I don't know if it's something cats start doing as they mature (they are now 12 weeks old) and then we shouldn't worry they are not doing it at this moment.

Thank you!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of my current two, Selene has done it since she was a kitten and Charlie has never done it, although he shows affection in his own way. I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird. They aren't all the same or have the same behaviors. I have 5 month old siblings and they couldn't be more polar opposite if they tried. Nothing to worry about. They will show affection in their own unique ways.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are still very young and developing their personalities. Right now there are more interested in playing than claiming their humans or territory. Give them another year and you may see this behavior begin. Nothing wrong if it doesn’t since they will show their affection in other ways but it’s likely to happen. You can try to encourage it by waiting until you are holding them while they are asleep or sleepy and gently rub your forehead against theirs. This is cat language for you are mine.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my cat at 4.5 months, and she was a headbutter from the beginning. My husband's cat will rub her face on objects, but not head butt people. I think it depends on personality.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I own a cat who is almost obsessive about rubbing and head butting, especially if brushing is involved. Another one only started it when she was about 10, and older and sick, and another who apparently has never heard that cats either rub or head butt.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a two year-old female, fixed, who wouldn't rub and didn't like to be petted. She's gradually become more cuddly in the last year or so. We had others that way om the past. I think cats for the most part gradually become more cuddly as they age, but there aren't any guarantees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely less concerned now, thanks! They both are sweet and like to fall asleep next to us, no matter if it's on the couch, next to the computer... so they are cuddly (in the very few hours they'd rather be playing, of course!). While I would love them to do head butts, I was more concerned on the face rubbing against objects, in case they never got to claim our house as theirs. But yeah, in any case, they are still very young!