Is Royal Canin Sensible ok for a 8/9 monthish yea old?

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

My nightmare with ringworm is now done. Got two normal, healthy, def crazy cats.

One is about 18 month oldish - smokey, smokes for short

Nala is 8 month-ish

Ok so Smokey has been with me since he opened his eyelids, he only eats cat food. Sometimes my wife makes real chicken made with no oil, no sauce, just steamed i guess. Nala loves it. I think the rescue operation I rescued her from used to give her chicken cause she goes nuts for it. Smokey just at it like brussel sprouts...eww.

Ok so I was giving them Taste of the Wild both since one of my vets said it's ok for both adults and kittens....but....it gives them horrible breath. Sometimes even the food inside the bag smells horrible. Not sure why, cause I hear it's a top notch food.

Well, in my endeavor to find something with more protein and meat than grain....but not too many calories for smokey (hes a fatty).

I looked at the royal canin section. By the way, how many different types of food can you possibly make for cats? Wow! Theres like 100

I found this sensible one. Once I got it sent to my house, I realized its described as food for older cats.

So, what now? I still have taste of the wild to give them.

Can Nala eat royal canin sensible???

Is there another food (I want the best for them) that I can give both other than taste of the wild?

Thanks in advance. This site is so friendly and helpful when it comes to cats. You guys really helped me out there when I was going a bit crazy with ringworm..

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You need a food with plenty of calories, protein and nutritional benefits for your youngest, so maybe you can get smokey involved in more exercise?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Any food that states that it is All Life Stages, and canned preferably - you might look at Merrick Backcountry, Natural Balance, Redbarn, Tiny Tiger, and this may be helpful as well;
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth, just like it does with our own breaths. Good dental hygiene will keep the bacteria down and keep the teeth clean and healthy, although an occasional dental cleaning may be needed. No food keep teeth clean and healthy although raw feeders say raw organs and such helps.

I looked at the royal canin section. By the way, how many different types of food can you possibly make for cats? Wow! Theres like 100
It's a marketing gimmick by Royal Canin and other companies. Make a food "special" in some way to get gullible people to buy it. Royal Canin is not known as a good brand to feed among many TCS members. Way too much indigestible filler junk.

Can you feed more canned food and less or no dry to both cats? It's a lot healthier for your cats' health in the long run.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: I agree with LTS3 LTS3 , although it may simple be the food you are smelling rather than bad breath. When I feed one of my guys, I can definitely smell his canned food on his breath shortly after he eats. It has a very distinctive smell.

I would definitely try to feed as much Wet food as possible since cats normally don't drink as much water as they should, so they can get it from eating wet food. .Plus it's a lot easier to get a cat to lose weight (if you want to help Smokey out) by feeding wet food and thus counting calories.

BTW, that Taste of the Wild is totally grain free, whilst the Royal Canin has wheat, wheat flour, and corn. All bad things for those of us who have "studied" cat nutrition. Not bad in that feeding one bag will cause eminent harm, and many people feed these items to their cats their entire lifetimes with no ill effect, But their bodies do not need these carbs so they are just wasted calories. And many cats are allergic to them and have digestive issues with them. Both of mine throw up if I feed them anything with wheat gluten, but that may simply be because it's such a foreign item to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wet food all the time?! Its so expensive here in south America...Colombia to be exact

My wallet just hurt.

You guys think I should feed them both wet food? (Ouch)

I'll try to list the options tomorrow that I can get here in Colombia.

Keep giving them both taste of the wild is not a bad idea? Tell vet to brush teeth and give me tools to do so....

Wet food all the time sounds like a lot of money

If you guys recommend it, I'll try but sheesh. Were talking like 2 dollars a can for the good stuff (royal canin).....4 dollars a day minimum?! Ahh (wallet alert)

I'd do anything for my cat babies......need to stop seeing smokes as baby.. hes a big cat.

Regarding smokes weight. Nala has helped him run around the apartment more. Hes just too coddled by me :-(

Need to be more stern with them :-|

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many quality dry foods out there, feed what you can afford. Many have no to few fillers now. I raised MANY cats on totally dry years ago when it was all I could afford and they lived happy healthy lives. In these COVID times there are MANY who cannot afford to feed their pets after losing their jobs, my heart breaks for the abandoned animals. Just jot down some likely ones and research them on the internet. Do encourage water by getting a fountain, or setting several bowls around the house. I have used a water additive that reduces plaque and bacteria in the mouth, like Oratene or Oxyfresh that I get at Amazon (i noticed Oxyfresh at the local Walmart now) for years now and it really helps with their breath and dental checkups. Just make sure it is odorless and made for cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they sell Fancy Feast cans there? It is pretty inexpensive here inthe U.S. But really, only the line called Classics (may be called Gourmet in South America) is low carb) . How about Friskies? That's even cheaper! And comes in larger cans so you get more for your money. Again, though, the lowest carb Friskies will be the pate versions. Sheba? Those are also decent and fairly low cost. Actually better food than the other, but not as cheap. And , again, the pate versions are best.

Royal Canin is NOT a "good stuff" At least not in my opinion, and I'm not alone. . If you ever need prescripton cat food, then they may be your brand, but not for regular cat food. My opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast pate is super cheap, Royal canin is not a good brand at all. Cats love it, but its expensive and filled with crap. I would stay away from Friskies, Friskies yes might be the cheapest but it has the worst stuff in it (added color has been linked to cancer, carrageenan is linked to stomach inflammation which can cause IBD/ gi lymphoma). Most cats love fancy fest pate. You don't have to feed 100% wet food, but I would for sure feed at least one meal a day as wet and do not free feed dry. The more wet food the better to be honest. :) I feed my cats raw, some people do DIY raw for pretty cheap but it has to be balanced.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
cataholic07 cataholic07 , In a pinch, I would still recommend Friskies Pate over kibble. Honestly, it seems like the majority of wet food has carrageenan in it. And a lot of human food has it too, if it's ready made. Think Ice Cream. No, added color isn't good, but neither is guar gum, or potato starch, or tapioca starch, or...I could go on and on, but in less expensive foods, and even very expensive foods, you will still find some of those ingredients. I just wanted to give the OP a couple of choices because I don't know what is available in his country. BTW, I also feed raw, which I do feel is the best choice, but as we all know, not everyone (or every cat for that matter) is up for ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, i looked for patte but couldn't find it.

I bought a bunch of cans of Fancy feast (couldnt find friskies...and not sure what pattee is) and i found sheba. I'll take pics and see if you all approve.

I'll keep giving them taste of the wild dry kibble. only downside is their breath and you all can say that can be fixed with some brushing and dental care. Thanks again!