Is Royal Canin Bad For Cats?

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its long time im giving them royal canin food its a little expensive here and there is no other food that i have heard is good
But I just saw a video that we should not feed them corn .. is corn bad for cats?? Means im giving them bad diet??? My vet never told me its bad he just said stop the wet food and give them only dry I asked him why he said in future it will be problem I don’t really understand I asked other vets also they said no u should give them other people also have cats and they have same diet .. because they don’t eat only dry i have to give them a little wet i give 5 cats 1 pouch of wet with dry mix , now im so worried what should i do ?? Should i stop giving them royal canin ??? Corn is bad why they are using in the food??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you mind sharing your (general, country level is fine) location?

From what you've said, I am going to assume you are in an area where cat care knowledge is a little less knowledgeable. Cats are obligated carnivores which means they biologically are designed to eat primarily meat. While come vegetables matter in their diet isn't bad they should be eating a meat based diet. They get very little nutritional benefit from plant matter, can't process vegetable based protein and some plants are not good for them at all. Corn isn't something cats should eat; it will usually lead to diabetes and obesity while dry food can lead to kidney problems due to a lack of moisture. It also will fill them up without any benefit.

But it is a cheap filler to make pet food from. Royal Canine is the best dry food option in some areas. Price doesn't mean good quality but there are parts of the world where it does mean a better option. If you were feeding a wet food with mostly meat, you are probably better off going back to that. I don't know why your vet said it was bad, if you want to share the ingredients from your wet food we can look at it. The only thing I can think is if it is fish based the Mercury worry.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, check the ingredients list on the food package or can. Hopefully, the first one or two ingredients listed will be some form of meat, chicken, etc. Vegetable content can be digested to some extent. But it is primarily carbohydrates and can cause a cat to have a high blood glucose level. Which can lead to diabetes in some cases. Please feel free to ask more questions. There are many TCS members that are very knowledgable.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bottom line is cats are strict carnivores. There is no reason for them to eat a tiny dehydrated piece of dried out kibble with only a small percentage of meat in it. Therefore dry kibble really isn't the best for them no matter what. I hate that a vet told you not to feed canned, that is just so false and misleading.

Cats cannot digest corn, as someone mentioned it is used as filler to bulk up food, make the cat fill up but they aren't getting proper nutrition and it doesn't keep them satisfied. It is like humans eating greasy fried fast food, sure we are eating, but we feel like crap and it isn't healthy.

Cats living on only dry, low quality, kibble can end up with urinary blockages particularly males, obesity which leads to diabetes and organ function issues. It is just like humans here too, too much sugar (dry food = full of carbs and starches = sugar) you end up with a lot of health issues.

Lastly, this is another reason you need to take cats in for yearly check ups, and bloodwork as they age. They do everything possible to hide anything that is wrong with them. Once you SEE an obvious issue the problem may be too far advanced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bottom line is cats are strict carnivores. There is no reason for them to eat a tiny dehydrated piece of dried out kibble with only a small percentage of meat in it. Therefore dry kibble really isn't the best for them no matter what. I hate that a vet told you not to feed canned, that is just so false and misleading.

Cats cannot digest corn, as someone mentioned it is used as filler to bulk up food, make the cat fill up but they aren't getting proper nutrition and it doesn't keep them satisfied. It is like humans eating greasy fried fast food, sure we are eating, but we feel like crap and it isn't healthy.

Cats living on only dry, low quality, kibble can end up with urinary blockages particularly males, obesity which leads to diabetes and organ function issues. It is just like humans here too, too much sugar (dry food = full of carbs and starches = sugar) you end up with a lot of health issues.

Lastly, this is another reason you need to take cats in for yearly check ups, and bloodwork as they age. They do everything possible to hide anything that is wrong with them. Once you SEE an obvious issue the problem may be too far advanced.
If you can, check the ingredients list on the food package or can. Hopefully, the first one or two ingredients listed will be some form of meat, chicken, etc. Vegetable content can be digested to some extent. But it is primarily carbohydrates and can cause a cat to have a high blood glucose level. Which can lead to diabetes in some cases. Please feel free to ask more questions. There are many TCS members that are very knowledgable.
Do you mind sharing your (general, country level is fine) location?

From what you've said, I am going to assume you are in an area where cat care knowledge is a little less knowledgeable. Cats are obligated carnivores which means they biologically are designed to eat primarily meat. While come vegetables matter in their diet isn't bad they should be eating a meat based diet. They get very little nutritional benefit from plant matter, can't process vegetable based protein and some plants are not good for them at all. Corn isn't something cats should eat; it will usually lead to diabetes and obesity while dry food can lead to kidney problems due to a lack of moisture. It also will fill them up without any benefit.

But it is a cheap filler to make pet food from. Royal Canine is the best dry food option in some areas. Price doesn't mean good quality but there are parts of the world where it does mean a better option. If you were feeding a wet food with mostly meat, you are probably better off going back to that. I don't know why your vet said it was bad, if you want to share the ingredients from your wet food we can look at it. The only thing I can think is if it is fish based the Mercury worry.
Cats cannot digest corn. That means it basically fills them up without giving them any nutrition.
image.jpg

I think this is the ingredients if im not wrong... is it good? I heard it has corn also but not sure

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the list of ingredients corn is indicated with the term "maize", and it appears to be the 5th ingredient in the list meaning it's the 5th in percentage of the ingredients.
It appears in flour, gluten and proper form, so I'd say it's rich in maize/corn. There's also rice.

I agree with the others above. A vet that tells you not to feed your cat wet food isn't a knowledgeable vet and you should see another vet or, if the mindset of the vets where you live is the same, rely on other source of information.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the list of ingredients corn is indicated with the term "maize", and it appears to be the 5th ingredient in the list meaning it's the 5th in percentage of the ingredients.
It appears in flour, gluten and proper form, so I'd say it's rich in maize/corn. There's also rice.

I agree with the others above. A vet that tells you not to feed your cat wet food isn't a knowledgeable vet and you should see another vet or, if the mindset of the vets where you live is the same, rely on other source of information.
Some day, I will ask a vet (who says dry food only is good for pets because it cleans their teeth) why they have so many yearly dental cleanings to do.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet was wrong. If you feed your male cat only dry food for a long time, he probably will develop urinary crystals. Cats don't drink a lot of water, and some are very picky about the water they do drink. So it's better to feed them wet food and even add some water to the food if they don't drink water often. Look for a food with some kind of meat as the first ingredient.