Is Rhinovirus running wild in your area?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A week ago I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, felt a little off and hoped that it was just allergies and sinus. But by last Saturday it turned into full blown nasal congestion, slight fever, a bit of body aches and very little energy. I rested until Monday morning but felt lousy yet so I went to a walk in urgent care place and they said this is going around like crazy here in Eastern PA. and I assume all over the place. They tested me with the rapid Covid test which was negative thank God, she said she didn't think that I had it but the symptoms for many things now overlap and said it'll take about a week or more to go away and she is right, today is a week, I feel better than I did but still not where I want to be but improving. I had a slight fever all week that seemed to finally subside yesterday, have been blowing all sorts of crazy things out of my nose along with blood, but am starting to feel a bit more like myself, I assume it'll just take some more time, you can't rush these things or it'll flatten you even worse. Lots of vitamins and herbs and water and rest when I can, that's about it.

Just curious if this is happening in your area? So many people around here have this and most also get tested for Covid beause it acts sort of like it but all I know have been negative. This thing is rough!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold and flu season is upon us....with the kids back in school and daycare fully open, it's bound to happen. Colds started late August for us this year, but ramped up with school starting. I know a few people who've already been sick...thankfully I haven't yet, but I don't tend to get sick very often to begin with. I do wonder what all the mask wearing and social distancing has done to my immune system though...you know...not getting exposed to as much stuff to prime my system, might have made me more vulnerable if something does eventually sneak up my nose.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing, and what many don't realize is the average cold lasts 10 days...possibly longer depending on your overall health. I know I'm susceptible to bronchitis with any respiratory infection, which drags out my colds way longer than I like, sometimes several weeks of coughing...I really hope I don't get anything this year...
This "it's just a cold" mentality has to stop, that's why they spread so much, people don't stay away if they have "just" a cold. It's not all the time, but colds can be terrible.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They tested me with the rapid Covid test which was negative thank God, she said she didn't think that I had it but the symptoms for many things now overlap and said it'll take about a week or more to go away and she is right, today is a week,
Unfortunately nowadays every time someone has these symptoms they wonder if it's Covid related. You're not alone. I hope as time goes on we'll get past this but for now I think the answer is unknown. Anyways, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and tested negative for Covid. :thumbsup: I agree with Jem Jem that flu season is here and there is an overlap. My allergies also bother me this time of year. But you do not typically run a fever with allergies which is the main difference.

I do wonder what all the mask wearing and social distancing has done to my immune system though...you know...not getting exposed to as much stuff to prime my system, might have made me more vulnerable if something does eventually sneak up my nose.
My first two years of teaching I came down with several nasty flu infections but after that working in a school environment really built up my immune system. However, working in special education we always taught "personal space" which is basically the same as social distancing. To this day it annoys me when people stand on top of me waiting in line at the grocery store or crowded place. :mad2:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years ago I had my first cold in about fifteen years. It just knocked me out for a couple weeks so I am hoping I don’t get another. I do use Zicam at the first sign I might be getting one and that has obviously worked well for me. And even with my booster shot I am still masked up when I go out and use hand sanitizer many times during the day which also will help I hope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told by a woman I used to work with that this same sickness went through Penn State where her daughter goes and she had it for weeks! Cold, sore throat, cough, not feeling well...so if her at a third of my age had it for weeks I guess I'm not doing too badly!

I cut the grass this afternoon, it had to be done, but I don't want to crank this up again, but I used NeilMed sinus rinse and took a shower soon afterwards, and amped up my vitamins and supplements! Feeling better but not there quite yet, but getting there!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got congested and developed a cough a few weeks ago and thought it was Covid, so I took a test and it was negative. I then thought it was allergies since I didn't have a fever, I wasn't achy, and in general, I didn't feel sick, but the cough has been very persistent and it's making me think it's not actually allergies. I don't know what it could be, but I'm thinking bronchitis or it could be RSV. My sister said RSV is running rampant in my nieces' schools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I got congested and developed a cough a few weeks ago and thought it was Covid, so I took a test and it was negative. I then thought it was allergies since I didn't have a fever, I wasn't achy, and in general, I didn't feel sick, but the cough has been very persistent and it's making me think it's not actually allergies. I don't know what it could be, but I'm thinking bronchitis or it could be RSV. My sister said RSV is running rampant in my nieces' schools.
There seems to be all kinds of things going around right now and they all seem to "mimic" each other with symptoms which makes it difficult to figure out exactly what it is! And of course with Covid around we all have it enter into our minds which is understandable!

I hope this isn't going to be a tough Winter with all kinds of sickness going around like this! We'll be getting the rapid Covid test done on a weekly basis if that is the case!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it has always been this way. Before we just shrugged it off as some kind of virus and we just have to wait it out. Now COVID overshadows everything. I think it will be even more so since they are coming out with effective antivirals against COVID. For the antivirals to be effective they need to be taken early.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's always been this way; people are just hyper-aware. And things like school are operating more normally so kids are around each other again.