Is Potassium Iodide safe for kittens?

Neyney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was looking for a grain-free kitten food the other day and came across a brand called "Kitchen Flavour". It is grain-free and includes cubes of dried salmon. The shop owner recommended it since it is cheap and is said to have the same quality as Royal Canin. When I checked the ingredients section I found Potassium Iodide written there.

I know that it is used for feline treatments, but is it safe to be consumed for kittens?

Ilovekats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it is for the most part, only if it has it in low amounts!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes - cats need iodine just like humans do. Potassium iodide is often used to iodize table salt for humans as well.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello Neyney Neyney

From what I can tell potassium iodine is sometimes added to cat food as it is thought to prevent hyperthyroidism.

Oromocto Veterinary Hospital | Decoding Pet Food Labels

it is recommended to find a diet that has Iodine supplementation (in the form of potassium iodide, calcium iodide, iodized salt or even sea salt). Cats eating diets deficient in Iodine are at a greater risk for hyperthyroidism, a common hormonal disease of cats 6 years and older.

'm not familiar with the brand Kitchen Flavour. I guess it is only available in your country, could you check online reviews to see what others say about it?