Is Pinking Up A Sure Sign That Cat Is Pregnant

mohd ather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a Persian cat who is 19 months old. she had her heat cycle when she was 18 months old but after 3 matting each one was 1 month apart with different males she couldn't conceive. she was recently mated with a male cat and now her nipples are dark rosy pink but still the abdomen have not started to grow .it is mostly 20 to 24 days since the matting. is it that she is pregnant? her ultrasound is scheduled when she reaches 47 days as the vet said . if anyone have similar experience please do share

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it sounds like it! You will start to notice pinking up about 2-3 weeks into pregnancy, which is exactly in line with when she mated. Get ready for kittens!

This article lists some more signs to look for: How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Pinking up" around the 21st day of gestation is generally an indication of pregnancy, but not a 100% sure sign.

Ultrasound can determine pregnancy very early; the fetal heartbeats can be seen as early as 22-25 days gestation.

X-rays can determine pregnancy when the fetal bones calcify around 45 days gestation. If your vet is having you wait until day 47, are you sure they are doing an ultrasound and not an x-ray? At day 47, I would guess your vet is talking about an x-ray.

Here's a web page with information and pictures about various methods for determining pregnancy in cats:
Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.