Is Pet Insurance Worth It For My Kitten With A Pre-existing Condition

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I've had cats my entire life but never had pet insurance. I have two 10 month olds that I'm now considering getting insurance for...just in case. I'm getting much more nervous and risk averse in my old age.
One of my babies had an elevated ALP and SDMA as well as concentrated urine with some crystals. That was when she was about 5 months old.
During her spay last month (9 months old) they rechecked her blood (but not her ALP) and her SDMA is still high - 14 but her urine was clear. My vet isn't concerned....yet.
I've been trying not to think that she's going to have kidney disease down the line because I would be literally devastated but I guess that's beside the point.
I called up some pet insurance companies and they would consider Georgia's kidney levels a pre-existing condition and wouldn't cover anything related to it in the future.
Would you still get pet insurance?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given her medical history it is likely that anything kidney related wouldn't be covered, thereby making insurance unable to cover your main concern. In your situation, I would figure out how much insurance would cost and start putting that amount into a savings account (or under your mattress or however to not spend it) and don't touch it unless she needs it.

To help stave off problems, feed a wet only diet, low carbs and low phosphorus. Also make sure she is drinking a lot of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Given her medical history it is likely that anything kidney related wouldn't be covered, thereby making insurance unable to cover your main concern. In your situation, I would figure out how much insurance would cost and start putting that amount into a savings account (or under your mattress or however to not spend it) and don't touch it unless she needs it.

To help stave off problems, feed a wet only diet, low carbs and low phosphorus. Also make sure she is drinking a lot of water.
Thanks. I'm trying to do all of the above, but she won't drink any water. I don't know if it's because I add quite a bit of water to her cat food or not.
I'm really hoping she doesn't have CKD. I literally can't think about it or I kind of lose it. She really is my number one baby. We're not supposed to have favorites but she's mine.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Given her history, no, I would not get insurance. It is unlikely you would be covered or reimbursed when you really need it.

I agree with you about "favorites". We are not supposed to have them, but I think most of us do. :tongue:

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I've had cats my entire life but never had pet insurance. I have two 10 month olds that I'm now considering getting insurance for...just in case. I'm getting much more nervous and risk averse in my old age.
One of my babies had an elevated ALP and SDMA as well as concentrated urine with some crystals. That was when she was about 5 months old.
During her spay last month (9 months old) they rechecked her blood (but not her ALP) and her SDMA is still high - 14 but her urine was clear. My vet isn't concerned....yet.
I've been trying not to think that she's going to have kidney disease down the line because I would be literally devastated but I guess that's beside the point.
I called up some pet insurance companies and they would consider Georgia's kidney levels a pre-existing condition and wouldn't cover anything related to it in the future.
Would you still get pet insurance?
I just did the math on my kittens who has herpes and decided it was not worth it as they could attribute anything to that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I'll just set aside a savings account just for my babies and hope for the best. I guess you really have to get pet insurance right after you adopt them (unless they have a known condition) and before they go to the vet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my cats insured for 2 years. One had a pre existing condition that they wouldnt cover. After doing the maths, I decided to cancel this year, I was concerned that anything that was wrong with her, they would try to link to the pre existing illness even though they said they would act on the advice of the vet. I put a certain amount into a savings account each month I opened to cover vets bills. Also any small change I get I also put into a pot. It soon mounts up.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The question I was asked was " are you aware of any pre existing illness". The didnt insist my cats were vet checked prior to covering but it could depend on which insurance company you choose.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually companies require you to take them to an initial wellness check within the first month that you sign up for insurance if they are a new pet. If you read the fine print, any conditions found during this first check are not covered.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I also think the best bet is to get the initial check-up and enroll them right after adoption. That way you avoid any "pre-existing conditions." Yes, they do require you to do the visit.