Is Our Kitty A Bengal

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I am posting this in the correct section, apologies admin if I am not.

I would like to ask some educated and expert minds, do they think our new family member is a Bengal.

From everything that I can see, and tell by her behaviour and traits I feel she is. Though I’m no expert.

I would love some other opinions especially from a forum of cat experts and lovers (no particular order there!

Many thanks in advance

Angel
48113BB6-7358-45F6-A9B7-DE638BFC4BF9.jpg

Pedigree
A3411EF2-FE92-4AF0-A280-52EF4BD9D382.jpg

Angel and her brother

F3BE8C31-61C0-400C-968F-CC7511E145C6.jpg

Pedigree litter

DCCF2D53-7F18-498F-B48E-3DE18DD318D9.jpg

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Others may say different, but from my experience I would say she's just a gorgeous mackerel tabby. Bengals usually have more of a leopard pattern. I have a mackerel tabby boy who is as wild as any Bengal, but he is just a rescue feral with strong instincts. Again, I could be wrong, just my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much!! I had thought mackerel tabby at first but after spending more time with her and seeing her behaviour develop, movements etc as well as other things very bengal like, I started to think differently!
Thanks so much for your feedback 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have some ancestry, the coloring is somewhat unusual. But not nearer than a granddad.

For all practical purposes, see her as a gorgious tabby domestick shorthair.

These sweet spots on the belly doesnt prove anything; they are typical for most tabbies.

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may have some ancestry, the coloring is somewhat unusual. But not nearer than a granddad.

For all practical purposes, see her as a gorgious tabby domestick shorthair.

These sweet spots on the belly doesnt prove anything; they are typical for most tabbies.
Thank you Stefan

i feel that there is at least some in there also. This “gorgeous tabby domestic shorthair” doea not behave like any other kitten I’ve ever owned! She’s more like a German Shepherd cross big cat lol

thank you again!!!!! Haha

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those pics aren't very clear or large but the kittens appear to be striped and spotted, not rosetted. Wouldn't you know if she came from a Bengal breeder? Where did the kittens come from? Purebred cats don't just pop up out of nowhere. Without a pedigree or any known history I would say no bengal. Behavior traits aren't anything to go off, all cats act like cats regardless of breed history. Anything my Bengal does, a million moggies do just as well.

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those pics aren't very clear or large but the kittens appear to be striped and spotted, not rosetted. Wouldn't you know if she came from a Bengal breeder? Where did the kittens come from? Purebred cats don't just pop up out of nowhere. Without a pedigree or any known history I would say no bengal. Behavior traits aren't anything to go off, all cats act like cats regardless of breed history. Anything my Bengal does, a million moggies do just as well.
She didn’t come from a Bengal breeder nor was I intending on getting a Bengal. She came from a breeder. Fell in love with her and will go as far as say rescued her.
I’m not convinced still even with the responses so far.
This cat ain’t like no other cat I have ever owned and I’ve owned plenty of guard cats in my day!
Thanks for the feedback :)

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not looking for drama or a fight btw! Claws are well retracted.
I see this in this cat all day long.
I’m inclined to lean towards what Stefan said about some Bengal in her possible a generation or 2 back. Thanks again for all of the responses folks ;)
3C74778D-3AE5-452B-8DED-7A4AD2E8E74F.jpeg

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The post with the pictures, Angel didn’t come from that litter. The pics I posted where to let you guys see the pedigree kittens compared to Angel and her litter mate.
Thanks again :)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going off looks isn't a good way to tell breed as most breeds came from a look or trait that was existing in domestics already and the internet is full of bad info when it comes to cat breeds. You'd really want to look to breeders/judges/clubs for good breed information because the internet would have everyone believe their cat is a mix of something. But ultimately without history, you've got a DSH tabby. Is that pedigree litter supposed to be Bengals? I wouldn't go to gumtree looking for reputable breeders, there's no shortage of scammers selling tabbies as Bengals or Savannahs.

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="goingpostal, post: 5552446, m

We had a tough year.
My long term severely disabled mother passed away in January.
I was her full time carer. The cat is called Angel after her.
We didn’t go to gumtree looking anything. The gumtree post is of a registered bunch of pedigree kittens that I saw after the fact, seeing how much they look like Angel so I thought I’d ask some experts and get some not bad info “from the internet”
Is this bad info? You’re on the internet.
Nobody sold me anything as anything. They sold me a kitten that I saw in a not pleasant environment so I rescued it.

I don’t need all of the other top tips but cheers anyway!

Don’t worry! You’ve been more than helpful lol

xD

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="goingpostal, post: 5552446, m

We had a tough year.
My long term severely disabled mother passed away in January.
I was her full time carer. The cat is called Angel after her.
We didn’t go to gumtree looking anything. The gumtree post is of a registered bunch of pedigree kittens that I saw after the fact, seeing how much they look like Angel so I thought I’d ask some experts and get some not bad info “from the internet”
Is this bad info? You’re on the internet.
Nobody sold me anything as anything. They sold me a kitten that I saw in a not pleasant environment so I rescued it.

I don’t need all of the other top tips but cheers anyway!

Don’t worry! You’ve been more than helpful lol

xD
Sorry about your mom Angel2022 Angel2022 . I also lost my mom recently. I was caring for her at the end. The loss still hurts.

I think your cat is beautiful. We also have a mackerel tabby that we rescued following my mother's passing.

I know Desmond's markings are "common," but to me he looks "exotic" and beautiful. I see your cat the same way. Gorgeous!

I hope Angel helps bring you solace. I know having Desmond in our lives has been a boon for me.

Best,

Bill

Angel2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about your mom Angel2022 Angel2022 . I also lost my mom recently. I was caring for her at the end. The loss still hurts.

I think your cat is beautiful. We also have a mackerel tabby that we rescued following my mother's passing.

I know Desmond's markings are "common," but to me he looks "exotic" and beautiful. I see your cat the same way. Gorgeous!

I hope Angel helps bring you solace. I know having Desmond in our lives has been a boon for me.

Best,

Bill
Hi Bill,

I’m so sorry for the loss of you mom. I bet it still hurts alright. Keep strong good sir! I’m sure Desmond has brought a lot of joy under the circumstances:(

Thanks for that about Angel! She definitely has exotic markings but I think hers are too on point to not at least have some if not all bengal in her. I’ve been watching videos of Bengals and their owners non stop the last few days. Still not 100 percent convinced she isn’t a full pedigree that I’ve rescued from a not ideal situation. Also feel I got to her just in the nick of time!

Speaking of time! Time will tell! Perhaps this post should stay here and we can all see together what way she grows up

Nice to meet you Bill

:redheartpump:

:)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss :(

I wouldn't say she has any Bengal in her. Bengals have no white markings on the feet. They can have a whited belly/chest but not actual white markings on the feet. You said you got her from a breeder but not really? Did you see the parents? A lot of tabbies can be spotted and often times people think they have to bengal in them (or savannah) and most times they dont. Bengals started when a solid black cat was "accidentally" bred to an ACL cat. Then they were just bred back and forth and to other spotted tabbies. I mean it's possible but not probable she has Bengal in her. There would be no reason for a good breeder to breed a purebred Bengal to a nonbengal. With tabby markings if you breed two spotted/broken mackerel tabbies the kittens will be spotted or broken mackerls. I do hope that "breeder" stops breeding. There's way too many unwanted kittens in the world right now to be breeding moggies. Your girl is beautiful by the way.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope I am posting this in the correct section, apologies admin if I am not.

I would like to ask some educated and expert minds, do they think our new family member is a Bengal.

From everything that I can see, and tell by her behaviour and traits I feel she is. Though I’m no expert.

I would love some other opinions especially from a forum of cat experts and lovers (no particular order there!

Many thanks in advance

Angel
View attachment 426729

Pedigree
View attachment 426730

Angel and her brother

View attachment 426731
Pedigree litter

View attachment 426732
So sorry for your loss 🤗 pics are all a bit blurry so it is hard to see. To me she looks like a spotted brown tabby dsh but she could have some bengal. No one can know for sure. The pb litter do not look like bengals, to me anyway, from what I can see but it is a very blurry pic. Here is another link with info on bengal characteristics from a bengal breeder’s page. Whatever she is she is your angel ❤

Bengal Body Shape

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Angel is a beautiful spotted tabby with white, domestic shorthair kitten.
Can't say for certain if she does or doesn't potentially have some bengal in her ancestry, but even so without a pedigree or both parents being pedigree she'd be a domestic shorthair. I've got a kitty with one full pedigree parent from a "whoopsie" litter, and even with the sire being a GCCF registered pedigree (BSH) my girlie is still classified as a domestic shorthair.
If Angel was a full Bengal she'd likely be rosetted rather than spotted and wouldnt have white markings as others have mentioned. But again that doesn't rule out entirely that she could have some ancestry in there somewhere (accidents can and do happen sometimes!)
Here's some pics of my Mother in law's Bengal cat. As you can see he doesn't exhibit solid spots but rather the "hollow" spots known as rosettes and no white markings 20220803_003703.jpg 20220803_003816.jpg

P.s My deepest condolences for the loss of your mother, from someone who's also lost a parent. It's really tough, sending love to you and your family :redheartpump:

shesgonestella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Angel is a beautiful spotted tabby with white, domestic shorthair kitten.
Can't say for certain if she does or doesn't potentially have some bengal in her ancestry, but even so without a pedigree or both parents being pedigree she'd be a domestic shorthair. I've got a kitty with one full pedigree parent from a "whoopsie" litter, and even with the sire being a GCCF registered pedigree (BSH) my girlie is still classified as a domestic shorthair.
If Angel was a full Bengal she'd likely be rosetted rather than spotted and wouldnt have white markings as others have mentioned. But again that doesn't rule out entirely that she could have some ancestry in there somewhere (accidents can and do happen sometimes!)
Here's some pics of my Mother in law's Bengal cat. As you can see he doesn't exhibit solid spots but rather the "hollow" spots known as rosettes and no white markingsView attachment 428224View attachment 428225

P.s My deepest condolences for the loss of your mother, from someone who's also lost a parent. It's really tough, sending love to you and your family :redheartpump:
There’s a cat in my neighbourhood who looks exactly like this! I always stopped to chat to him because he’s so striking - didn’t realise he was a bengal!

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There’s a cat in my neighbourhood who looks exactly like this! I always stopped to chat to him because he’s so striking - didn’t realise he was a bengal!
They really are beautiful aren't they! Quite difficult to mistake once you know what to look for (: