Is olive oil safe for cats?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So about Rivel's suddenly avoidance of refrigerated food, i found out putting a tiny bit works in stimulating her appetite with old food in the fridge (anything more than 12 hours she won't touch)

I googled it's not really toxic, so i use it to help her eat. I am more worried about continued use or addiction even if i keep using it and what amount is safe.

I use maybe 2-3 drops of olive oil. For 1 meal.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think that small of an amount would hurt her. Maybe if it was a more significant amount, it might act like a laxative but not a drop or two once a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think that small of an amount would hurt her. Maybe if it was a more significant amount, it might act like a laxative but not a drop or two once a day.
Any long term alternative to this if her behavior continue? This seems like slapping a duct tape on a hole in a drum. Safer alternatives that's safer for cats in long term.

I am thinking of fish oil, but don't know if human fish oil is safe and which kind etc. I don't even know if rivel likes it, but she licked opened oil bottles, that's how i figure out the olive oil trick.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any long term alternative to this if her behavior continue? This seems like slapping a duct tape on a hole in a drum. Safer alternatives that's safer for cats in long term.

I am thinking of fish oil, but don't know if human fish oil is safe and which kind etc. I don't even know if rivel likes it, but she licked opened oil bottles, that's how i figure out the olive oil trick.
Can you just buy cat food toppers instead? I know several people on here use them so they can chime in with brand names.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you just buy cat food toppers instead? I know several people on here use them so they can chime in with brand names.
Any examples? I never heard of it.

Also maybe broth could work too. Maybe buying bunch of chicken bones and cooking it with a slow cooker, then put them in bottles and freeze them. Thaw when needed.

I will try the broth option tomorrow.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any examples? I never heard of it.

Also maybe broth could work too. Maybe buying bunch of chicken bones and cooking it with a slow cooker, then put them in bottles and freeze them. Thaw when needed.

I will try the broth option tomorrow.
I honestly don't know either as I had never heard of them until this site but I see a lot of people posting about using toppers to get their cats to eat. Look on a pet store website for "food toppers" and see what comes up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I use lickable treats to get Feeby to take her daily meds and she loves them, but does not care for them being added to her regular food, for some reason. However, you could try any of the following with Rivel to see if she would be willing to eat them when mixed with her foods: Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix or Mousse, Inaba Churu, Wholehearted, and Vitakraft.

Many people use a couple of drops of olive oil as a hairball remedy, but probably not every single day. I doubt that what you are using is a big deal, but you can try the above noted toppers and replace the olive oil if Rivel will eat them.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well using local online store if you type cat food toppers you just get bone broths. (I live in souteast asia) sold at Exorbitant price too that i can make make myself in large amount with fractions of the price. Probably gonna get some chicken feet or heads for cheap then boil them in crock pot for a few hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Rivel will eat the broths, that is just as good as any store bought toppers. I was buying broth from a pet store for a while and Feeby was taking that in her food during a period of time that she was turning her nose up at her regular food. But, after a few months, she stopped liking the broth, so that is when I got the lickable treats. As I said, that didn't work with her food, but was great for getting her to easily take her meds.

If you still want to check out any of the 'lickable cat food treats', just do an internet search on that term instead of using 'toppers'.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few drops of olive oil in her food once a day can actually be a good thing as it helps pass hair, I started adding a bit to food for my Cats once a day and none of them have puked out a single hairball since. The only real danger is possible diarrhea if you add too much, but you'd have to add a lot to get to that point.

Bone broth is also good if she really likes it.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chicken broth option seem to work. I bought chicken feet and head for very cheap, put em in crock pot and left for work. I took a spoonful of broth, wait until it cooled down and give them to both cats they seem really like it.