Is my vet right about the dose of this medication?

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

Male Himayan Cat - hematuria (a tiny bit of red we noticed) + licks his penis a lot. We were worried about crystals. My mother took him to a vet... and let's just say he wasn't very nice or willing to explain - according to my mother he was constantly fighting with his staff but was "okay" with her. He prescribed Clavaseptin (Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid) 50 mg/62.5 mg 1 tab BID x 15 days!!! The cat weights 3.7 kg. Is this appropriate?

I called to speak with the vet, he was very short with me. Said yes this is the dose we use for cats - "fixed dose" and treatment length is right. I barely got the indication "UTI". Then he hung up.

Obviously I'm not familiar with animals - but with humans you treat UTIs 3-5 days (females), 7 days (males) or longer 14 days (if pyelo).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A question about medacine should be asked with your vet. Write down all the questions you have and give him a call tomorrow morning. My cat was treated 10 days but it depends on weight, breed,and age. She is 8 yrs old tabby

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet back and demand to get a clear answer on the dose. If the vet is short with you again, take your cat to another vet for another exam and treatment, sooner than later if you suspect a urinary issue. Bring copies of your cat's medical records with you and the medicine so the dose can be checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The issue is - my mother is in Canada. They only have select vets open and the earliest appointment is like a month away. She didn't want to wait that long and took him to the emergency vet clinic which cost her $$$$. So essentially we are stuck.

They made me wait 48 min on the phone before he even spoke with me because he was on his break... and despite that he was short. I think he took it as "how dare you question me" kind of situation. I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Anyone know of any online sources I can consult?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off - was there an actual UTI diagnosed? Secondly, you can try to call the clinic staff and ask for the test results be sent/emailed to you. They are technically yours/your mothers as part of the overall costs of testing to begin with, and generally speaking once the vet gives the results to the 'patient/owner', the records are releasable to the owner. Ditto for a detailed invoice depicting all the related charges, if your mother did not get one. I doubt seriously that this varies that much between Canada and the US.

Some vets run a urine culture on the urinalysis results to determine what antibiotics might best work on the specific bacteria identified. Regardless, a lot of vets will give a longer than 3-5 day dosage since sometimes that duration is just not enough to entirely eradicate a UTI. IMO, 3-5 days is really not long enough. With my cat, it was usually a 10-to-14-day dosage. Here are some guidelines - first one specifically for Clavaspetin in Canada.

Clavaseptin Chewable Tablets (50 mg) (Canada) for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Amoxicillin + Clavulanate (Clavamox®, Augmentin®) for Dogs and Cats (petplace.com)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need a different vet ASAP. Your cat could wind up obstructing. Without doing a urinalysis there is no way of knowing if there is an infection.
Have your mom closely monitor the urine output this cat. Get him to drink more water. Feed canned food. Call vet back and ask for pain relief for this cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The issue is - my mother is in Canada. They only have select vets open and the earliest appointment is like a month away. She didn't want to wait that long and took him to the emergency vet clinic which cost her $$$$. So essentially we are stuck.

They made me wait 48 min on the phone before he even spoke with me because he was on his break... and despite that he was short. I think he took it as "how dare you question me" kind of situation. I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Anyone know of any online sources I can consult?

Chewy.com offers a vet consultation service: Connect With a Vet - Free Online Vet Chat | Chewy It's free for customers who have the Auto Ship delivery option. For all others, there is a fee for either the live chat option or the video chat option.

I wold not trust other web sites as there is no way to know if the person you are chatting to is an actual licensed vet or not.

I don't know if rubysmama rubysmama and other Canadian members have Canadian vet options for you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you have received so many messages pretty much repeating the same stuff - but there seems to be some additional information in many of them. So, hopefully, that helps you to know that the information is at least supported by a number of members!!

Let us know what goes on/happens, will you?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama and other Canadian members have Canadian vet options for you.
I've sometimes seen people look for vet recommendations in a Reddit forum, so maybe check the ones for their province and/or city.

However ...

They only have select vets open and the earliest appointment is like a month away.
If there's a month wait for appointments, getting recommendations for vets probably won't be very helpful.

B Baz84 : Sending healing vibes for your Mom's cat. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So update: Cat more lethargic + not eating. So my mother is taking him back to the urgent clinic but seeing another vet this time. I told her to ask if they did a urine culture + give mirtazepine 3 mg (maybe?) for appetite stimulation. We'll see what happens. Thank you all for your feedback