Is My Stress Causing Her Shedding?

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two DSH girls (7 and almost 9) have been shedding A LOT lately. Like I am vacuuming up tumblefurs daily. Both have been to the vet recently who gave them clean bills of health and just said to watch out for hairballs because of all the loose fur. She also suggested adding a bit of salmon oil to their wet food to help out.

Snap, the eldest, also needs to lose some weight so she'll be transitioning to 2 out of her 3 meals as wet food which fingers crossed with the salmon oil will help.

But, I'm wondering since there's no medical cause, is it possible my own stress (work) and grief has been causing them to blow their coats? I'm working through the grief with a therapist but unfortunately the work stress is not going to lessen up anytime soon. And other than a little bit more hassle for me, is it actually harmful for them to be blowing their coats so much? No nakey patches, excessive scratching anything, excessive grooming...they don't even seem to notice. But my poor dark floors certainly do!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried Cat Music for them? There's Relax My Cat, Music For Cats, and Spotify and other sources have harp music for cats :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress is possible but so is the weather. Houston weather is over 100. Too hot to swim. So I wouldn't be surprised. Do your cats get along?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would try brushing them which will help to remove a lot of the hair they are ingesting/leaving about your home. Some cats like it, others don't, so you will have to figure out which is true for your cats. Daily brushing of my DSH cat seems to not only be therapeutic for her, but my husband (who chose to take on this task) finds it to be therapeutic for him as well. And, it has reduced her hairballs by a fair amount.

If you should find they don't immediately take to a brush, you can start with one of those 'gloves' that will collect hair as you pet them.
Just one of a ton of options -
Amazon.com : HandsOn Pet Grooming Gloves - #1 Ranked, Award Winning Daily Pet Hair Remover - Mitts for Gentle Deshedding, Bathing, and Massaging Cats, Dogs, Horses & Other Animals (Mono-Green, Medium) : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, definitely hot here too. We've had weeks of "real feel" in the high 90s/low 100s in SC. Shedding seems worse than the usual seasonal stuff, hence why I thought it might be stress. Both thankfully tolerate being brushed - Snap actually enjoys it. Pompom...eh. Depends on her mood but usually I can get in a few swipes.

The two do get along for the most part. There's some occasional pouncing on the older one by the younger who has lots more energy, but 30 seconds later they're fine.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think the cats are stressed, you could try some Feliway (won't do a darn thing for your stress, unfortunately), but I strongly suspect it's a weather thing and Feliway won't help that.

As for dangers of excess shedding, I'd say that excess furballs are the only one, and your vet has already suggested something for that. As long as they're healthy don't worry about it - you don't need that stress added to your life on top of what you already have.

Margret

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My two DSH girls (7 and almost 9) have been shedding A LOT lately. Like I am vacuuming up tumblefurs daily. Both have been to the vet recently who gave them clean bills of health and just said to watch out for hairballs because of all the loose fur. She also suggested adding a bit of salmon oil to their wet food to help out.

Snap, the eldest, also needs to lose some weight so she'll be transitioning to 2 out of her 3 meals as wet food which fingers crossed with the salmon oil will help.

But, I'm wondering since there's no medical cause, is it possible my own stress (work) and grief has been causing them to blow their coats? I'm working through the grief with a therapist but unfortunately the work stress is not going to lessen up anytime soon. And other than a little bit more hassle for me, is it actually harmful for them to be blowing their coats so much? No nakey patches, excessive scratching anything, excessive grooming...they don't even seem to notice. But my poor dark floors certainly do!
You've gotten some really good ideas but I wanted to say I'm sorry you're dealing with so much grief and so much stress. It can really wear us down :( I would worry if there was over grooming/pulling fur out, and those bald patches showing up, that's usually an anxiety thing. I'm sure they're just shedding because of the heat. It's been hot here too, and today I got in my car. Immediately my glasses fogged up, I started sweating, and then decided I was getting a free sauna....just against my will. I'm so ready for fall!

I hope things get better for you. :redheartpump: Take care.