Is My Senior Cat Lonely?

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

9 months ago I started fostering a bonded pair of senior cats. Endora was 15 and Ruckus was 13 and they came from the same household. They were in palliative care because Endora had health issues. 3 months ago, Endora passed away (RIP my lovely gal) and Ruckus became adoptable, so I adopted him (:D).

Ruckus has become more clingy since Endora's passing. He’s always been an affectionate cat who loves sleeping in my lap, but when Endora was still around, during the day he mostly slept near where she slept (for example in the same bed), though NOT right next to each other, and other times in my lap. After Endora was gone he slept in my lap all the time, although this has gotten better lately; lately he sleeps next to me more than on me. He still follows me around all the time, a little bit more so than before.

So there's definitely a behavioural change in Ruckus since Endora's passing, yet they were never that lovey-dovey before. Before, Endora and Ruckus never played together much, probably because Endora had health issues and just lay around most of the time. They also liked different toys, so playtime was me playing with Ruckus with Da Bird, and me playing with Endora with the rainbow cat charmer.

Besides physically being in the same vicinity, the only other interactions they had were that a couple of times a day, Ruckus would lick Endora in a show of dominance (more often than a show of affection) which then led to a play fight, and sometimes it'd turn more serious (ears pinned back) and I'd break up the fight.

Anyway, I can’t tell if Ruckus is lonely and his life can be improved if I introduce another senior kitty, or if he’s just getting old as well as till going through the grieving period, and thus doesn’t need the stress of being introduced to a new cat.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Maybe I can temporarily foster a senior cat and see how it plays out?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry for the loss of Endora. We just put down our 12-year old tabby, Trin, last year and he had a similar relationship with our other cat Gohan. Gohan would be groomed by him and they were companionable but not super cuddly.

In regards to humans, Gohan is very standoffish. He loves being pet but he makes it difficult by walking out of range and never settling anywhere. When he did “cuddle” it was only when my boyfriend sat cross-legged and the. He would sit in his lap to snuggle but he wouldn’t relax or sleep.

After Trin died (which we did at home, so Gohan observed what happened and seems to understand) he became super cuddly with my BF and would fall asleep and relax in his lap. This change seems to be permanent as well.

So in conclusion he might not be lonely for another cat, he might find comfort in you and be missing Endora specifically. Cat intros are so hard I wonder if it would be helping to get him another senior cat rather Han just giving him the attention yourself? Just a guess.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider fostering another senior cat, one with much the same activity level as Ruckus, with the understanding that if the two cats could not get along after a proper introduction, the foster would have to be moved, but if they did, you want to adopt. That way, you aren't locked into a situation that would make Ruckus miserable, and not give the new cat a real chance at settling well.