Is my rescue a maine coone?!!

Twixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out if hes a maine coone. He exhibits all the traits, loves to play fetch and as a cat owner all my life I've never seen such an affable cat. Also hes an incredible hunter, which is the original reason we adopted a cat, caught 8 mice in a little over a week and we haven't seen or heard one since. I love him, but imagining him twice his current size is making me even more ecstatic!!! Rescued from a box in a nature reserve just north of boston. I'd feel if feral maine coon populations exist, this would be an ideal place to find them

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is cute but he is a domestic longhair, other than being a longhair tabby he really doesn't look like one. Most cats in the world are of no specific breed ancestry whatsoever and are mostly just domestic short or long. I love his floofy tail!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope maine coones have a very prominent mouth profile, your boy is just a stunning domestic long hair. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I keep going back and forth because at times he has that coon look. His jaws are big too as he was catching whole mice that would be completely in his mouth still alive then hed release them to play with and catch all over again. Kind of upsetting to hear the mouse crying out in its mouth with the tail sticking out but he never killed them, I'd end up taking the mouse and releasing them far away from my home. Either way I just love him, hes perfect for me and my family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hes got all the traits. He fetches sticks, plays with me and the kids, is very patient and loving and he'll drink and play with any liquid in a cup lying around. The jaws I go back and forth on, sometimes they look more prominent and other times they are hidden within his beautiful coat and pattern. I'm so happy with him, we want to get him on a leash and bring him outside but hes resistant to even wearing a collar as he just chews it off. Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He still doesn't look to me like a purebred, maybe he could have some mixed in but it's impossible to say unfortunately. I would honestly just label him a domestic long hair. I have 3 myself and boy are they super special <3

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? If not, he will have the big jowls as most intact tom cats do.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hes got all the traits. He fetches sticks, plays with me and the kids, is very patient and loving and he'll drink and play with any liquid in a cup lying around. The jaws I go back and forth on, sometimes they look more prominent and other times they are hidden within his beautiful coat and pattern. I'm so happy with him, we want to get him on a leash and bring him outside but hes resistant to even wearing a collar as he just chews it off. Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it!
Those "traits" aren't specific to Maine Coons. Cats of all types do these things or, not. It's just a personality type of a cat.

I agree with everyone else that he's a domestic longhair. His face structure isn't one of a Maine Coon, nor is the body type, however, he is a very handsome boy and lucky you found him!