Is my queen about to go into labour? / Mom ignoring 3 day old kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to check mom’s mammary glands and nipples. A common cause for her acting this way is mastitis, which requires antibiotics, or sore, cracking nipples, which need coconut oil or petroleum jelly to heal.

She could also have a vaginal or uterine infection after giving birth and need antibiotics. She may have fever and feel poorly if she is hiding.

Please get mom checked by a vet pronto - today if at all possible.
G Gabbytoulacat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mum is a lot happier and content, she doesn’t appear at all stressed anymore. The kittens are no longer crying, taking formula about 1 to 2ml every 2 hours. 1 has gained 1gm the other has lost 5g. I discovered yesterday she had been constipated and after warm water she passed a difficult black poo, after which followed a lot of normal poo. Is it normal for the weight gain to be slow?

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeding with miracle nipples which arrived from Amazon, on 5ml syringes. Top and tailing after each feed with warm damp cotton wool, followed by doing as the kitten lady does with a soft toothbrush . They are in a cat carrier, half the floor has a whelping covered heat mat set to 85* with a blanket on top. Put in 2 stuffed socks that they lie next to. The boy feeds with gusto, he literally sucks the syringe plunger forward, the girl takes the formula but with lots of persuasion. X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So they are feeding from Miracle Nipples now, which is good. Hopefully the female will catch on and begin to suckle more vigorously soon. The gains should pick up soon if they are getting as much as they want every 2 hours AND through the night.

Now that mom is feeling better, have you tried putting her with the kittens to see if she will nurse them? Surely she has milk.

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They put on 3gms each today, first gain, now they both weigh 73 Grams. After reading your reply I checked on Toulas tummy. Her nipples are not large and puffy anymore and they look small again. My instinct says to continue to hand feed every two hours rather than risk a repeat of their first few days together. Their intake of formula is increasing per feed from o.5 ml on Sunday to 2.5mls today. It’s hard but seeing them seem to get a little stronger each day is something really special. Saying that I wouldn’t want to repeat the experience. Today I booked Toula in to be neutered in 6 weeks. X

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can any one recommend an antiseptic cream barrier cream for an 11 day old kitten with a sore bum. I think he has been suckled on. I’ve bathed and put a little Vaseline on. But just noticed a little fresh blood when I was toileting him. He’s a little constipated which isn’t helping. I’ve seperated both of them. Thank you

Attachments

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry to ask another question, kittens eyes opened Friday, they look a little sticky, with tiny small green crusts. Is there any drops/ointment you can advise. Thanks. Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask your vet for a tube of Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment. It will clear their eyes quickly. In the meantime, keep the eyes clear by wiping gently with a soft, damp, warm cloth.

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens is wearing pus. She’s breathing heavy. I have a vets appointment at 5 tonight. SHes not wanting her milk but I have managed to get her to take a little. Is there anything else I can do. She’s not fading is she

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may have a respiratory infection and needs antibiotics. She may also need fluids at the vet. It may be contagious to the other kittens. You can hold her in a steamy bathroom to help clear her passages. Let us know what the vet says!

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet took her in and agreed to antibiotics and fluids but wasn’t optimistic. Not heard anything back, as yet, The other kitten seems fine apart from a crusty eye. Praying she’ll pull through. X

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just called vets, she’s doing ok, still with us. ❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relieved to hear she’s getting treatment. Are they keeping her overnight?

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi just a quick update Snow and Banjo are both doing really now seven weeks old . Both chubby , healthy and full of fun. Mum Toula is also doing really well, back to her normal self. Dad blaze was neutered over a month ago, fully recovered. We are keeping them, as a family we all agreed we couldn’t part with them. Thanks so much for your prompt advice so grateful. X

Attachments