Is my queen about to go into labour? / Mom ignoring 3 day old kittens

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, hope this is not a waste of your time, type question. Is my queen about to go into labour?

By my dates she is due 28th April. She produced colostrum on Sunday, her temperature (taken under her armpit just now) is 98.6f. She’s also had very very loose stools for 2 days and I think her side saddle has dropped. Here’s a photo I just took of her luring on her side, the other was taken yesterday. She’s still eating a little but not sleeping as much. What do you think? Thank you

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk can come in up to a week before labor and delivery; however, she does sound close. Each day helps the kittens develop fully. Be patient!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She knows she is about to be mommy. Living large while she can, lol. She is probably not do today. Did she exhibit any symptoms of early labor?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is not going to hurt herself. Her pregnancy hormones are in high gear, which are making her feel active. She will likely deliver soon, but could be a day or two or three. Just hang in there. Do you plan to spay her after this litter weans?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2 for the reassurance. Yes I am going to get her neutered once the litter is weaned.
Today she is acting so very different and subdued. Complete opposite to her Olympic bouncing around. She isn’t eating as much and is moving slowly, seems restless moving from one side to another on the landing. Shes also flapping her tail when Anyone walks up the stairs past her. Should I be concerned ? I’ve tried to encourage her to a quiet spot but she’s not having it. I’m hoping she’s close as it’s upsetting seeing her like this. X

Attachments

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She knows she is about to be mommy. Living large while she can, lol. She is probably not do today. Did she exhibit any symptoms of early labor?
In between naps she’s grooming herself and she has gone of her food . She looks fed up. X

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t fret, she is doing fine. Don’t try to make her do anything. She will decide what she wants to do (instinct). Try to relax you don’t need to do anything until you see a problem (if) . In a couple of days you are going to happily share pictures of your babies, right? Lol

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, really excited to meet her babies. Will share photos when they land. Someone mentioned baby’s dropping down to get into line as if getting ready to start jumping out of a plane. When I seen her low hanging tummy it made me laugh. Xx

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, really excited to meet her babies. Will share photos when they land. Someone mentioned baby’s dropping down to get into line as if getting ready to start jumping out of a plane. When I seen her low hanging tummy it made me laugh. Xx
hahahahahahah…… live her ……alone!!!!!! Hahahahahah I can see myself behaving exactly like you. Lol

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If someone could give me a little advice I’d be very grateful. I thought my cat was overdue so I took her to the vets yesterday morning. They said she seemed happy and her temperature was 37.5. However if she hasn’t had her kittens in 2 days to take her back. Should I be putting her through the stress of this or just sit back and wait? This is my first (and last) litter, feeling anxious as I thought she was due days ago. X

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It sounds to me that the vet is concurring with her being overdue, and they want to see her again in order to avoid major complications. However, you may want to call and ask them to clarify their thinking regarding the request to come in again.

If you can, try playing cat music when she's in the carrier, and also cover the carrier with a light weight towel or blanket. When she can't see outside the carrier it may help ease her stress.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait it out. You only need the vet if she is in distress. She will have her kittens when her body is ready. When did she mate?

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wait it out. You only need the vet if she is in distress. She will have her kittens when her body is ready. When did she mate?
Thanks for responding, she mated between Feb 25th and March 1st.

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
It sounds to me that the vet is concurring with her being overdue, and they want to see her again in order to avoid major complications. However, you may want to call and ask them to clarify their thinking regarding the request to come in again.

If you can, try playing cat music when she's in the carrier, and also cover the carrier with a light weight towel or blanket. When she can't see outside the carrier it may help ease her stress.
Thank you for the response I’m going to Google cat music. X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be due any day now. Is this her first litter? Is she Persian?

Sometimes Persians can have issues with delivery due to the shape of their heads not easily passing through the vagina. Watch her carefully and if she experiences distress (an hour of pushing with no success) then you would need veterinary help.

Was she mated with another Persian, or did she mate with a tom cat?

Gabbytoulacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s a 2 yr old Persian , she mated with other Persian. They are both Doll faced. I stupidly thought my male was to young to mate having read they don’t mature until later. My mistake. She’s moving from nest to bed,