Is my kitty a Russian Blue?

keeleyjean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I have been searching all night and I just can't figure out if my cat is a russian blue or not. He has the physical and personality traits of one. Help me out?? 46A81682-00D8-43BC-BA2C-EBD3134C4D66.jpeg 1EE14FE7-F010-4E90-A1C7-B6CC3E252743.jpeg

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, I dont think so. The forehead-nose profile is wrong, on the first big pic its no RB-impression... I very sweet blue moggie with silvershine and green eyes...

Possibly, if you find some more proofs, he could be a very pet quality RB where a BYB breeder got rid of him, because it was impossible to sell him as a pure bred RB...
But the very most probable he is a moggie.

Which is no shame. Its a public secret RB were once (re)-constructed with nice blue moggies as base. Although their legendary origins as cats from Archangelsk (why, I myself did wrote once a great saga to be read in the Yule-time number of the swedish paper for RB-owners..., about RB origins and development!! I wrote the saga myself but I did come to believe in half in it.... :) )

Ps. Mewbril´s sweet cat is more in the lines of a RB. Sooner scandinavian looks than typical american, but I dont mind. :)
ps 2. I notice now Mewbril´s sweetie has the american RB typical halfsmile... Scandinavian males tend to look grim, even mean - although they are typically kindness itself, both to their humans and their wives...

Mewbril

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your kitty a pure RB? So cute!!
Thank you! 🥰
It is tough to say because he was found abandoned in a building at 1 week of age, and his mom was just gone so they never got to see her. 😿 We are just going with some kind of mix since his littermates were with him, and they were black and tuxedo.
Frankly, I did not care. I didn't even know they were a special breed or anything. I was just looking for a kitten close to my other kitten's age and temperament, and went with the shelter's recommendation. He has been a wonderful cat, too, and we are all very happy!

Your kitten is a doll, though! I am surprised that he is not RB but hey, clearly I am no expert! 🤭

Which is no shame. Its a public secret RB were once (re)-constructed with nice blue moggies as base. Although their legendary origins as cats from Archangelsk (why, I myself did wrote once a great saga to be read in the Yule-time number of the swedish paper for RB-owners..., about RB origins and development!! I wrote the saga myself but I did come to believe in half in it.... :) )

Ps. Mewbril´s sweet cat is more in the lines of a RB. Sooner scandinavian looks than typical american, but I dont mind. :)
ps 2. I notice now Mewbril´s sweetie has the american RB typical halfsmile... Scandinavian males tend to look grim, even mean - although they are typically kindness itself, both to their humans and their wives...
I would absolutely love to hear/read more about this. Like I said, I know nothing. (Other than basic breed overviews that come up with quick google search.) Could you perhaps point us to some of your cool resources? Or if you'd just like to share some more, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Also.. yes. He definitely has the smile. He looks very mischievous sometimes if you just look at his face, and he is hyper-energetic and playful, but he really is the SWEETEST, most gentle soul. Very easy to handle. Very attached to humans.

He are some more pics of him.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What lovely blue kitties! I would describe both M Mewbril 's and K keeleyjean 's cats as blue domestic shorthairs.

Blue cats are fairly common in the domestic cat population, because the genes that produce the blue color are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. The blue color doesn't indicate any special breed ancestry. People often think that blue cats have a superficial resemblance to Russian Blues because of the color, but cats with actual Russian Blue ancestry are rare. Most cats are not any particular breed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are just going with some kind of mix since his littermates were with him, and they were black and tuxedo.
Plus if the littermates were black and white tuxedo he clearly cannot be a purebred.

Mewbril

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The many vets that bottle-fed him and kept him safe until we adopted him all agreed that he was a Russian Blue mix. His temperament and characteristics all fit the description, so that is what I am going with.
Like I said, I am not competing with him or anything so I really don't care to prove it to anyone. 🤷‍♀️ I was just sharing to provide some reference to the original poster.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although you can consider your kitty to be anything you want, it isn't really accurate to use him as a reference example for the Russian Blue breed. This can be misleading to others, since you don't actually know whether he has any Russian Blue ancestry.

Vets do not receive special training in cat breed identification. Their guesses are just like anyone else's guesses.

Blue domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats in their own right; they do not need to be labeled as Russian Blues to be beautiful and special :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although you can consider your kitty to be anything you want, it isn't really accurate to use him as a reference example for the Russian Blue breed. This can be misleading to others, since you don't actually know whether he has any Russian Blue ancestry.

Vets do not receive special training in cat breed identification. Their guesses are just like anyone else's guesses.

Blue domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats in their own right; they do not need to be labeled as Russian Blues to be beautiful and special :)
Adding to this - a lot of shelters and rescues will title a look-a-like cat as a purebreed name in order to help "sell" the cat to the public (or say it's half whatever) knowing some people get excited if they think they are getting a "special" type of cat. Like Lutece said, it is misleading as there is nothing wrong with a mixed breed at all.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Without a confirmed pedigree, the only answer anyone can give you is this: Your cat is a handsome blue (gray) domestic short-haired cat with gorgeous green eyes. 🥰

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would absolutely love to hear/read more about this. Like I said, I know nothing. (Other than basic breed overviews that come up with quick google search.) Could you perhaps point us to some of your cool resources? Or if you'd just like to share some more, I'd really appreciate it! :D
These resources arent online. I have read them here and there, much of it in the magazine for RB owners, Ryska Posten (Russian Postal Service). And some hints I found in polish and swedish language...

MY version of the history, the Great Saga About Russian Blues history; this I could provide. I tried to copy and paste an version I found on my email, but I didnt managed to copy it correctly, and thus, it become troublesome to paste it correctly.

I suppose I will try again nearer the Christmas time...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
MY version of the history, the Great Saga About Russian Blues history; this I could provide. I tried to copy and paste an version I found on my email, but I didnt managed to copy it correctly, and thus, it become troublesome to paste it correctly.

I suppose I will try again nearer the Christmas time...
This Yule saga is now online, in the Cat meow loungee! Merry Christmas!

M Mewbril

Last edited: