Is my kitty a Russian Blue mix?

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So first off I picked my kitty from a local rescue shelter and I picked her because she seemed to want to be with me. Out of a group of kittens, she payed the most attention to me. And the rescue shelter told me that she is a Russian Blue and Domestic short hair mix. I think I saw her litter and she was the only one who looked like her, but I really have no idea about her litter. 

Her:

She has faint rings around her tail

She looks like she is smiling

Her paws are mauve

She has a double coat with gray tips on the longest hairs and is sooo soft

She likes to be on my shoulder while I am cooking, or else she will get upset

She is very much addicted to playing fetch

It is very clear that I am her person, she follows me everywhere and will pace in the bathroom while I shower

And very strangly her wiskers have a slight wave to them. you cant really tell unless you touch them. Ive never seen that before.

She is all gray or blue. No white spots on her.

Right now her eyes are yellow with spots of green. But from what Ive read some RB kittens take a few months to change and she is also a mix too. 

She is very curious, always has to know what I am doing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The photos arent very good, I had like to see more and better pics,

but I suppose if you want to see her as a RB mix, you may. Or possibly even a decently pure RB, but of a very pet quality (ie no show quality at all).

Technically she is of course a "moggie", as we dont have any proofs whatsover.

So please dont say "I do have a russian blue mix", better to say "I do have a blue shorthair domestic, a little look alike a russian blue".

If the coat of RB IS bluish can be discussed. Grey IS called for blue in the cat fanciers world.

Here I think among others about your description of the double coat, AND these grey tips.  RB arent really just grey, they shall have these silvery tips.

This "smiling" impression is typical for american RB, and is perhaps the biggest give away here.... The european ones (esp the scandinavian) tends instead to look "angry" - although both sorts are very mild ones cats.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

ps 1.  I see now you wrote, her littermates werent copies of her.  So she cant be a "decently pure RB, although of pet quality".  She may be more than 50% RB, she still may, but she cant be 100%.

ps. 2.  Nice you took the one who did choosed you. This is the best way to adopt a shelter cat.   :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is such a strange little kitty,  but strange fits in nicely. She will stand or sit on her hind legs and seems to try to reach up to me like a toddler would do to be picked up. She rides on my shoulder, plays fetch, is learning how to go on walks. Ive never had a kitten this smart! She is hesitent around strangers but she will warm up to a few of them. She didnt much like the repair man but she liked one of my friends enough to start chasing her feet after an hour. Always has to know what Im doing and where Im at. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russian Blues are relatively rare cats in the pedigree world, both in the US and the UK.

Your kitten is very cute, but there is very unlikely to be any genuine RB blood in her.

Her colour is Blue Self, which is fairly common in the non-pedigree world.

Also remember that the RB is a 'natural' breed - one that's derived from the street cats in a particular area - and with natural breeds one does see domestics that resemble them to a greater or lesser degree.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
this is a more professional photo of my kitty
Ah, with these looks, and these greenish eyes, she does looks like Russian Blue. Pet quality, but still, OK russian looks.

But her siblings arent hers look alikes, so she cant be pure RB.

Most probably like Oriental says, a grey domestics who happen to look like a RB.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitty looks a lot like my Zeus. I was told this little rescue kitty was a Russian Blue (he parents were purebred) however he has a few white patches on him. One on his breast, I have seen this referred to as a "jewel" on a website describing Russian Blues, he also has a white patch in his arm pit area and one on his belly. So I will assume he is a Russian Blue mix. He is such a sweetheart! He is 14 weeks old and we have only had him for 3 weeks but he has already stolen our hearts 

iampretty123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,

your kitty is a Russian Blue Kitty is mixed! Notice how its eyes are golden yellow? you kitty is mixed with a tabby! Tabby's have yellow eyes! I know this because my cat is a Russian Blue mixed with a tabby because he has golden yellow eyes/1 he is only three years old! Russian Blue's mixed with Tabby's are extremely beautiful! if he was brown stripes on his tail that's when you will realize that your kitty is mixed with a Tabby!

I hoped this helped out a lot!

yours truly,

iampretty123!!

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue/Grey fur is naturally occuring. I have a beautiful, long haired blue cat with very soft fur and an awesome personality, I often say that he probably had a fancy-pants grandparent ;) but really, he's just a domestic longhair. Which I prefer, since I wouldn't want a purebred, anyway!

Alfiethehooligan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 month old kitten that was feral born, she too is blue with orange eyes and she popped tiger stripes 3 weeks ago and just in the last day or so I hav noticed her coat colour on her head start to darken. Her coat is so fluffy with longer darker guard hairs, she has white tips on her front toes and white socks on her back feet and a little white patch on her belly, she is cute but only likes rubs when she wants them, usually when she is tired.
IMG_20220629_140353.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 month old kitten that was feral born, she too is blue with orange eyes and she popped tiger stripes 3 weeks ago and just in the last day or so I hav noticed her coat colour on her head start to darken. Her coat is so fluffy with longer darker guard hairs, she has white tips on her front toes and white socks on her back feet and a little white patch on her belly, she is cute but only likes rubs when she wants them, usually when she is tired. View attachment 425372
aww what a beauty, that pink collar/bell is perfect on her 😁

Freja1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a beautiful little girl (stray/adoption). I think she has sm RB characteristics. I've had RB's in the past, both loyal, lovable, playful boys. This new little lady is very vocal and clingy. I've had her 2 days. But already very well trained and has claimed my bed as hers. She has a small white star on her chest and a small white patch on her lower belly. She won me over instantly.
20220809_181424.jpg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russian blues have emerald eyes as adults and their fur is tipped with silver. Personalities in cats vary even in breeds so I never consider personality when it comes to a breed. I think she's just a stunning grey domestic short hair