Is my kitten’s neuter incision infected?

Cheeseball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had his surgery less than 24 hours ago. When I picked him up, he unfortunately had peed all over himself in his carrier, and was pretty wet. I heard incisions can't get wet for the first 7 days after surgery! As soon as we got home he started jumping everywhere. He’s eating/pooping fine though.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We let our males go almost as soon as they are home outside and they are awake, stress is more harming then anything. We've never had a problem. Your little one's incision looks good, there is some swelling that will go down after a few days. What you watch for is expanding redness and a discharge that is not clear. White, yellow, or green. You can't really stop them from jumping, males aren't as affected as females, and their incision is smaller and doesn't involve as many muscles. He will exercise as much as he can tolerate. If it hurts he will stop doing it. some licking is normal, just watch him so the incision doesn't start opening. Infection usually does not set in for a few days, so give us an updated photo then. Go by how he is acting. Acting normal, peeing/pooping/drinking/eating. no hiding is good. He looks good so far!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He had his surgery less than 24 hours ago. When I picked him up, he unfortunately had peed all over himself in his carrier, and was pretty wet. I heard incisions can't get wet for the first 7 days after surgery! As soon as we got home he started jumping everywhere. He’s eating/pooping fine though.
Yes, the incision looks ok to me just as the above poster mentioned.

Here's a thread for you to read so that you don't have to worry so much :- is-it-infected.441264

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheeseball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We let our males go almost as soon as they are home outside and they are awake, stress is more harming then anything. We've never had a problem. Your little one's incision looks good, there is some swelling that will go down after a few days. What you watch for is expanding redness and a discharge that is not clear. White, yellow, or green. You can't really stop them from jumping, males aren't as affected as females, and their incision is smaller and doesn't involve as many muscles. He will exercise as much as he can tolerate. If it hurts he will stop doing it. some licking is normal, just watch him so the incision doesn't start opening. Infection usually does not set in for a few days, so give us an updated photo then. Go by how he is acting. Acting normal, peeing/pooping/drinking/eating. no hiding is good. He looks good so far!
Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheeseball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time cat owner here so just being cautious! Its been 4 days since the surgery. He’s eating and pooping like normal, just more sleepy than usual! Does it the incision look like its healing? He’s had blood since the first day! The last pic is how it looked the day of surgery.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It looks ok. But it is hard to tell from a picture. You should send a picture to your vet to be sure. He shouldn’t still be sleepy though.