Is my kitten's incision site infected?

shaneink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten got spayed last week (Thursday 2/18) and has been wearing the cone since then. But I think she's still able to reach her incision site and it currently looks like this. Should I be concerned and should I take her back to the vet?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really tell by your photo. It's a little bit blurry.
Does it look like a scab is forming over the incision?
...or does it look like the fat layer of skin cells directly underneath the top layer of skin is showing through?

Your best bet is to take a few more photos...and email them to your Vet.
That way you'd know for sure...if you should bring her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shaneink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't really tell by your photo. It's a little bit blurry.
Does it look like a scab is forming over the incision?
...or does it look like the fat layer of skin cells directly underneath the top layer of skin is showing through?

Your best bet is to take a few more photos...and email them to your Vet.
That way you'd know for sure...if you should bring her in.
I think it looks more like the fat layer underneath the top layer of skin?? I plan to go to the vet tomorrow morning but I was just very worried until then and wanted to get other opinions.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it looks more like the fat layer underneath the top layer of skin?? I plan to go to the vet tomorrow morning but I was just very worried until then and wanted to get other opinions.
Your second photo looks good.
It actually looks very clean.

Just keep an eye on it, for any oozing yellowish discharge, angry redness, or swellings, and further larger openings...but if it continues to look like it does in the second photo, and scabs over...then it's healing well.

(What they usually do is stitch the abdominal layer, then the fat layer,...and just use surgical glue to close the skin layer.
Sometimes when a scab forms on the outside skin layer, it falls off...and you are left with a more reddened area...like you have in your second photo.)

How old is your kitten?
And great on you...and your kitten...if you managed to keep her cone on for five days. That's impressive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shaneink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your second photo looks good.
It actually looks very clean.

Just keep an eye on it, for any oozing yellowish discharge, angry redness, or swellings, and further larger openings...but if it continues to look like it does in the second photo, and scabs over...then it's healing well.

(What they usually do is stitch the abdominal layer, then the fat layer,...and just use surgical glue to close the skin layer.
Sometimes when a scab forms on the outside skin layer, it falls off...and you are left with a more reddened area...like you have in your second photo.)

How old is your kitten?
And great on you...and your kitten...if you managed to keep her cone on for five days. That's impressive.
That's a relief to hear! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. She's 4 months now, and yes, she has been a trooper with the cone (but still not the biggest fan) haha. Thanks again!

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a relief to hear! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. She's 4 months now, and yes, she has been a trooper with the cone (but still not the biggest fan) haha. Thanks again!
She is so adorable! :loveeyes: :coolcat:
That photo is amazing.
Thanks so much for posting it. :blush:

I cannot get over how cute she looks in that small cone.
(I never had to put mine in a cone, but perhaps because it was 5.5 years ago, and she had external absorbable sutures. Mine was also around 5 months old when spayed.)

Hoping that you gave your cute 'trooper-like' kitten a suitable... strong 'warrior like' name...to go with her personality...and also because she had to wear that cone...and not complain too much.