Is my kitten still considered solid black?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Last week I adopted a gorgeous 10 week old black kitten named Oshi and in the photos that I saw of him, he looked pretty much solid black but I've noticed that he's got alot of grey parts on his body especially his mane, chest and lower belly. Is he still considered solid black? I know most domestic black cats don't have a solid black coat but this seems abit more contrasting?

Thanks in advance! 😊
Screenshot_20221227_183634_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221227_183618_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20221227_183643_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221227_184553_Photos.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the tail bushy? I get the impression he is prob a longhair.

At least with longhairs, its quite common they get whitish hair, especielly around the mane.... Sometimes they may look almost as points of sorts; pitch black face but this whitish mane....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the tail bushy? I get the impression he is prob a longhair.

At least with longhairs, its quite common they get whitish hair, especielly around the mane.... Sometimes they may look almost as points of sorts; pitch black face but this whitish mane....
Yes his tail is quite bushy! I think he may be long hair as well.. I'm just confused as to what colour to refer his coat to? Just black?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, at least to cat fanciers... IF you ever describe him as lost, do mention he has some whitish hairs...

But the real problem is, some fur seems reddish... Although there may be several variations; as some brownish color in a black cat, or even some rufism, what if he is really a black red tortie? This is not common with males, but not unheard off...

The answer depends in part of, if he looks differently in the real life than on photos. Perhaps the reddish nuance is less iIRL?

What is the color of the eyes? Torties have often green eyes,
Its no proof, but green eyed torties are more common then a green eyed random moggie...

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, at least to cat fanciers... IF you ever describe him as lost, do mention he has some whitish hairs...

But the real problem is, some fur seems reddish... Although there may be several variations; as some brownish color in a black cat, or even some rufism, what if he is really a black red tortie? This is not common with males, but not unheard off...

The answer depends in part of, if he looks differently in the real life than on photos. Perhaps the reddish nuance is less iIRL?

Its no proof, but green eyed torties are more common then a green eyed random moggie...
I still think solid black, having been through this too.
The red should dissipate and become darker as the kitten matures.
The lighter tones might still be there but also get somewhat darker. My girl has a few white hairs here and there on her body but she is solidly black.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah just black. Black hair turning red is common, called rusting or sun bleaching, so he's not a tortoiseshell or anything. Black hair turning a bit grey (either the tips or the base/undercoat) or having some white hairs is also common. Especially with long hairs.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise

His eyes are gold/yellow and his fur is just as red in real life if not abit more! But thank you so much for the clarification I appreciate it 😊😊

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think solid black, having been through this too.
The red should dissipate and become darker as the kitten matures.
The lighter tones might still be there but also get somewhat darker. My girl has a few white hairs here and there on her body but she is solidly black.
Good to know, thank you!!!

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah just black. Black hair turning red is common, called rusting or sun bleaching, so he's not a tortoiseshell or anything. Black hair turning a bit grey (either the tips or the base/undercoat) or having some white hairs is also common. Especially with long hairs.
Thank you for replying! 😊

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell for sure but he is definitely a long hair and long hair black cats often have areas that are lighter. So, he could be black with white too.
My Zena who has long hair, is a black and white tuxedo, and even on the black areas there are some grayish, lighter areas, at the ends usually.

0EBD308A-79C8-48AE-9029-AAAA8A5FEAC7.jpeg
1C6A7BFB-BDDE-48D1-A2A2-F12AD18AC8E9.jpeg

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell for sure but he is definitely a long hair and long hair black cats often have areas that are lighter. So, he could be black with white too.
My Zena who has long hair, is a black and white tuxedo, and even on the black areas there are some grayish, lighter areas, at the ends usually.

View attachment 439729View attachment 439730
Omg Zena is soooo gorgeous!! 😍😍😍

Thanks for replying. I can't wait for Oshi to be a huge fluffy loaf.