Is my kitten smoke black?

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new mom of a kitten here 😊
I am so happy I found this place.
A week ago a kitten just showed at my door, very domesticated. It was very cold outside so I took him in, and decided to ask around if anyone lost a kitty. No one claimed him, so I kept him. According to the vet, he is 3 months old.
He is completely black, with black nose and paws, with a lighter fur color on the roots. Wich is specifically visible under his neck and on his belly, but his fur is like that all over, it's just not visible at the first sight.
So I was wondering is he a black smoke?
I attached some photos, it was the best I could take, he is black, and constantly looks grey-ish on the photos, because his fur is so shiny, but the contrast between black fur and white-ish roots is really visible in person.

Also, he is a very clingy kitten, follows me everywhere and likes to sleep on me. Any advice on how to make him more independent? I play with him often, and bought him a lot of kitty toys, and a comfort blanket in his bed, but that does not seem to do the job, he keeps clinging onto me all the time.
Thank you

20211016_150648.jpg 20211016_150241.jpg 20211016_152152.jpg

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What did you name him?

He’ll become less clingy as he matures and gains confidence. Keep doing what you’re doing. Play that stimulates his hunting instincts increases confidence. (No hands. Hands are not toys.) Praise his good behavior and don’t enable bad behavior.

You’ve been blessed with a good cat. I hope he’s chipped and kept safely inside.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He was perhaps sent to you?

Anyway, if you think he is too much, a pal will probably lessen things up. Another young cat, or even a cat friendly dog.

ps. He may be a true outside born. I had read one tell; a shy semiferal momma with some kittens, living in the bushes nearby. Suddenly one day, one of the kittens comes into the house, and directly behaves as if he belongs there.
The litter mates are still with momma. And their chances arent pretty good, as momma hasnt the street smartness to get herself a better shelter than these bushes.... And winter was coming... Momma probably a stray whom survived a while, not herself outside born.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He scrathes and bites a lot lately. Not in an agressive way, but in playful, "hunting" kind of way. I really play with him a lot, encourage his playful and hunting side, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I am literally covered in scrathes.
Then he simply calms down and cuddles a lot, loves to climb up underneath my neck, or on my chest.

Is that biting and scrathing thing just a phase? And how do I handle it?

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was perhaps sent to you?

Anyway, if you think he is too much, a pal will probably lessen things up. Another young cat, or even a cat friendly dog.

ps. He may be a true outside born. I had read one tell; a shy semiferal momma with some kittens, living in the bushes nearby. Suddenly one day, one of the kittens comes into the house, and directly behaves as if he belongs there.
The litter mates are still with momma. And their chances arent pretty good, as momma hasnt the street smartness to get herself a better shelter than these bushes.... And winter was coming... Momma probably a stray whom survived a while, not herself outside born.
What happened with momma and the rest of the litter? Any chance you could take them too? Or they aren't docile at all?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What happened with momma and the rest of the litter? Any chance you could take them too? Or they aren't docile at all?
I heard about this from another poster. I dont know what happened.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, new mom of a kitten here 😊
I am so happy I found this place.
A week ago a kitten just showed at my door, very domesticated. It was very cold outside so I took him in, and decided to ask around if anyone lost a kitty. No one claimed him, so I kept him. According to the vet, he is 3 months old.
He is completely black, with black nose and paws, with a lighter fur color on the roots. Wich is specifically visible under his neck and on his belly, but his fur is like that all over, it's just not visible at the first sight.
So I was wondering is he a black smoke?
I attached some photos, it was the best I could take, he is black, and constantly looks grey-ish on the photos, because his fur is so shiny, but the contrast between black fur and white-ish roots is really visible in person.

Also, he is a very clingy kitten, follows me everywhere and likes to sleep on me. Any advice on how to make him more independent? I play with him often, and bought him a lot of kitty toys, and a comfort blanket in his bed, but that does not seem to do the job, he keeps clinging onto me all the time.
Thank you

View attachment 398755View attachment 398756View attachment 398757
Aww, he is gorgeous😻 Thanks for saving him❤
It could be black smoke or fever coat, usually bs has the white roots though and fever coat does not.
As for the clingyness, he is a baby and he needs lots of attention. He has lost everything and you are now his mom and his family, you are everything to him. When you are out, you can leave a tv or music on, get him lots of cuddle toy buddies, a purr simulator and heartbeat pillow

The playing is totally normal, some kittens never use teeth and claws even in play, I had a few I raised as kittens who never did. Get some wand toys and other toys you can play with with him so that your hands are not involved and won’t become a target. Each cat is different, some kittens will use claws/ teeth as a kitten but they do not end up carrying that into adulthood. most kittens calm down significantly at 6 months to a year. You have to teach him good behavior because he has lost his family etc.

You can get him started clipping his claws right now, get a cat claw clipper and get dvm to show you how if you are worried about it and or watch a video. Make sure not to cut too short at the quick.When he uses his claws say ouch, move hand or arm away and also gently squeeze his paws- most kittens will learn to stop this way. Always reinforce good behaviors with praise, and treats. For biting, you can do the same, ouch, but move arm etc towards the kitten instead.

If you can get him another kitten companion about the same age, they will get along almost immediately and then they will play mostly with each other and teach each other what the limits are. Scruffing is what the mom sometimes does for bad kitten behavior or to transport the kittens, you can try hissing as the mom does that too.

In order to make sure he is not lost, check for a chip, call local shelters and post posters with pics in your area and online at lost pet sites etc.

Cat coat: silver and smoke cats — The Little Carnivore
Black Smoke Maine Coon Kitten vs Fever Coat

Last edited:

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, he is gorgeous😻 Thanks for saving him❤
It could be black smoke or fever coat, usually bs has the white roots though and fever coat does not.
As for the clingyness, he is a baby and he needs lots of attention. He has lost everything and you are now his mom and his family, you are everything to him. When you are out, you can leave a tv or music on, get him lots of cuddle toy buddies, a purr simulator and heartbeat pillow

The playing is totally normal, some kittens never use teeth and claws even in play, I had a few I raised as kittens who never did. Get some wand toys and other toys you can play with with him so that your hands are not involved and won’t become a target. Each cat is different, some kittens will use claws/ teeth as a kitten but they do not end up carrying that into adulthood. most kittens calm down significantly at 6 months to a year. You have to teach him good behavior because he has lost his family etc.

You can get him started clipping his claws right now, get a cat claw clipper and get dvm to show you how if you are worried about it and or watch a video. Make sure not to cut too short at the quick.When he uses his claws say ouch, move hand or arm away and also gently squeeze his paws- most kittens will learn to stop this way. Always reinforce good behaviors with praise, and treats. For biting, you can do the same, ouch, but move arm etc towards the kitten instead.

If you can get him another kitten companion about the same age, they will get along almost immediately and then they will play mostly with each other and teach each other what the limits are. Scruffing is what the mom sometimes does for bad kitten behavior or to transport the kittens, you can try hissing as the mom does that too.

In order to make sure he is not lost, check for a chip, call local shelters and post posters with pics in your area and online at lost pet sites etc.

Black Smoke Maine Coon Kitten vs Fever Coat
Thank you, and everyone else, so much for your advices. I am still pretty new to all this, and I wanna be the best mum my kitty can get 😊

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it's smoke. There would be a much more defined difference between the black and the white roots. Many black cats have slightly lighter fur close to the skin. In my black smoke girl it was obvious even at 3 months old when I got her.

MissP_smoke1.jpg

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it's smoke. There would be a much more defined difference between the black and the white roots. Many black cats have slightly lighter fur close to the skin. In my black smoke girl it was obvious even at 3 months old when I got her.

View attachment 398922
It is not that intense, yet, it is visible, and as I looked at him today, I noticed it's getting more visible on his entire body, so far it was under his neck and on his belly, but now I notice it all over. When his fur is "combed down", he's black (except it's a little visible then under his neck and on his belly), once you go with your fingers through his fur, this silver color appears. It's not even white, but silver.
I can't get a good photo of it, plus, he won't stay calm for one second in order for me to take a good photo of it 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'll attach some photos I found online, just as a reference to what I'm talking about.

Now, this is what it really looks like, and I am very curious to see if it will enhance or disappear as he grows.
Screenshot_20211017-220909_Google.jpg Screenshot_20211017-220642_Google.jpg Screenshot_20211017-220900_Google.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
One place to check for the white roots in a smoke cat is the top of the head. It's easier to see there, especially in a longhair cat.

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One place to check for the white roots in a smoke cat is the top of the head. It's easier to see there, especially in a longhair cat.
He is not long hair, plus, his fur is just recovering and begining to really shine, he was so tiny and skinny when I found him, and now I notice him getting better every day, including his fur, and now it's getting even more visible. He has those silver roots everywhere, I just can't get a proper photo of it, and his fur is much shorter on his head, so it's best visible under his neck and a little on his belly. I will try to get a better photo of it tomorrow, during daytime, if he allows me to take a photo of it, so far he only starts playing when I brush his fur to get a better photo and runs away to stalk me from behind something 🤦🏻‍♀️

Jimmy the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I managed to take some more photos. On the photos his fur looks lighter, but in fact it's very black. Silver roots are visible everywhere but mostly under his neck and on his belly.

20211018_150058.jpg 20211018_150108.jpg 20211018_150140.jpg 20211018_150249.jpg 20211018_150300.jpg 20211018_150337.jpg 20211018_150501.jpg 20211018_150645.jpg 20211018_150643.jpg 20211018_150637.jpg 20211018_150235.jpg 20211018_150045.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda looks like bs to me but I am not sure, time will tell.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a good article about smoke and silver coats as well as links to other cat coats and patterns etc.