Kitten is sick?? Worried...

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First-time cat owner here. Today, my kitten (4 months) threw up her food (first time). Definitely wasn’t a hairball. This was in the afternoon. It is now night time and she has been sleeping for the past 4-5 hours. She’s typically a very VERY energetic kitten. She sleeps relatively often but usually for short intervals: 1-3 hours at a time.

She’s gotten up to move to where I am at but she always immediately goes back to sleep. I’m so worried. A close friend of mine just had his kitten (8 weeks) die today, so I may be acting paranoid.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford a vet visit at the moment (college takes up a lot of cash). What should I do??

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they eat too much to digest snd it all comes back up.
I would feed her a bit smaller portions to see if it stops.
Could have been a bad batch of food ? My cats throw up if they eat too much so let her go without eating for a few hours to help clear her system
and then try a new can of wet food. Was it a new bag of dry? The high heat of summer can spoil food in shipping or storage. Cats are not designed to eat constantly so twice a day is better than free range constant feeding I hear a lot.
Hope that helps and I think she will be fine. Maybe there is a vet here with pro help for you. I always give fresh filtered water as chlorine in tap water
kills good tummy bugs and enzymes important for digestion but im no vet. Lots of house plants and outdoor plants are toxic to cats so do a search on which ones to remove from kitty areas. Take care and welcome to cat parenting!

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten could have eaten something off the floor, they are into everything at that age or she might just have an upset tummy, has she used the litter tray and was it ok.Was the food her usual one, did she eat it fast, that sometimes makes them sick. Just keep an eye on her, offer her a little fresh chicken if you have some to start her eating again or a small amount of kitten food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any updates? Is she eating now, still vomiting, or completely back to normal? Hoping for the last :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
has she used the litter tray and was it ok.Was the food her usual one, did she eat it fast
Thank you for your advice! Yes, she’s used her litter tray. Unfortunately, it’s a bit messier, if you get what I mean. She ate her usual dry food and tuna treats later. Not sure when she threw up because I found it a while afterwards. Is it bad if my kitten has diarrhea? Does that just add to her throwing up?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, I cannot afford a vet visit at the moment (college takes up a lot of cash). What should I do??
Since you mentioned being a first time cat owner I thought this Article might have some helpful information for you:
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Just out of curiosity, did you have a vet visit after bringing her home? I understand what it's like to be a college student and short on cash but if she's never seen a vet it would be beneficial to try and get an appointment for an initial exam. Here is an Article that might help regarding not having the available funds for a vet:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soft or runny stools aften accompany sickness if its an upset tummy but shouldnt last for more than 24/36 hours. Its good that she is eating.
I agree with neely neely about a vets visit just to make sure she is healthy. I dont know if its common practice but in my vet's whenever their clients have a new pet (new and existing clients, one or half a dozen pets) they always do the first health check with the new pet free of charge. You should register your kitten with the vet of your choice (there is no charge for this) and you could ask if they do this.